It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And the other Nobel nominees were...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Just wanted to share this article I found about some REALLY inspiring people.

and-the-other-nobel-nominees-were...

It really amazes me how these people were beaten to the post by Obama.

Enoy the article these people were really inspiring.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
wow other nominees who actually had a POSITIVE influence on the public, or people around them. I personally like the guy who helps rape victims. I personally know a lot of woman who were raped, when young, older whatever. It just sickens me that these people would do this to someone.

but I guess giving rich people even more money is more important then actually helping people, and doing absolutely nothing to help the economy makes you a very important person/man of peace.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
doesn't seem odd that practically nobody in america can understand how he won?...and yet it was very clear to the nominating committee, and most, not all, but most of the rest of the western world could understand too.
so it must have occured to someone to ask... what are we NOT being told about, what have we missed, what has been positve regarding Obama, when the majority of what has been said has been negative?
maybe if we could step out of our self-centered arrogance, and put ourselves into the mindset of the other western nations, it would be clear.
after wading through all the negative websites regarding our president, i found what i was looking for, and it makes perfect sense.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by tempesillest
wow other nominees who actually had a POSITIVE influence on the public, or people around them. I personally like the guy who helps rape victims. I personally know a lot of woman who were raped, when young, older whatever. It just sickens me that these people would do this to someone.

but I guess giving rich people even more money is more important then actually helping people, and doing absolutely nothing to help the economy makes you a very important person/man of peace.

your wrong...Obama donated the entire 1.4 million dollars to charity, but i have a feeling that won't sway your opinion of him.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Well can you turn down a nobel prize so that it goes to someone more deserving?

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Was not aware of this.

cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com...

Thank you for informing me. It sways my opinion on the money issue regarding Obama himself, but I am still mad at the committee itself.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by tempesillest

your wrong...Obama donated the entire 1.4 million dollars to charity, but i have a feeling that won't sway your opinion of him.
That one guy helped thousands of rape victims personally. 1.4 million dollars not knowing where it will go, that sounds like Nobel prize worthy.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I read that the candidates for the Nobel are kept secret for 50 years. I'll have to go back and see if I can find that article, but it seemed like a reliable source.

All of these candidates listed in the Independent were worthy recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize, much more so than our glorious leader. IMO

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Ok, so it was Faux News. Reliability and factuality is always questioned.

www.foxnews.com...

[edit on 11-10-2009 by The Undertaker]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Undertaker
Ok, so it was Faux News. Reliability and factuality is always questioned.

www.foxnews.com...

[edit on 11-10-2009 by The Undertaker]

It does not matter if it was FOX news - they reported factual and were reliable in their reporting.

nobelprize.org...

Nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize
Every year, the Norwegian Nobel Committee sends out thousands of letters inviting qualified people to submit their nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize. The names of the nominees and other information about the nominations cannot be revealed until 50 years later.

With that said...I agree there were far more "nobel" people on that list deserving

[edit on October 11th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

How do you know that there were far more qualified or well deserving people on the list?

Perhaps the list was as follows...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I'll give Fox the benefit of doubt on this issue, that the committee does keep the other candidates secret for 50years. But, I'm going to have to give the Independent the same benefit of doubt, that the candidates they listed were definitely more qualified on what they have done and not what they could do. This is where the crux of the problem lies with most IMO. My assumption was that the award was given based on contributions already made to the Peace process and not what could be. Not the first time I've been wrong.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

How do you know that there were far more qualified or well deserving people on the list?

Perhaps the list was as follows...

en.wikipedia.org...

I did not see the list you linked in the OP. The OP linked to:

www.independent.co.uk...

And the other Nobel nominees were...

When President Obama unexpectedly won the Nobel Peace Prize, he defeated more than 200 proposed candidates. These six are among the most inspirational on that list

Denis Mukwege: Doctor dedicated to helping rape
Sima Samar: Working for Afghan families
Ghazi bin Muhammad: Philospher in search of peace
Greg Mortenson: Mountaineer fighting Islamic extremism with education
Piedad Córdoba: Colombia's 'woman of peace'
Wei Jingsheng: The father of Chinese democracy

IMO, those people are far more nobel and deserving.

Im not sure what a list of Gitmo prisoners has to do with this?

[edit on October 11th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Because the Nobel Committee does not disclose nominees for 50 years there is no way anyone could make such a list without it being pure speculation. I was suggesting the list could have been a list of Gitmo detainees which might be why Obama beat them all out.

The Nobel Committee could have had a list of nominees that were all serial killers for all we know. We won't know who was on that list for 50 years.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Quite clearly the list must be available. As they say...

"When President Obama unexpectedly won, he defeated more than 200 proposed candidates. These six are among the most inspirational on that list"

The Independent is one of the serious newspapers, it's not like the Enquirer you know!

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Stanton Dowd

I'm just going by the facts from the source:

Nominations for 2009
205 names were submitted for the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize, 33 of which are organizations. The Nobel Committees in Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine, Literature and the Prize Committee for Economics each usually receives 250-300 names every year, but this is the highest number of nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize ever. The last record was in 2005 when the Committee received 199 nominations. The names of the nominees cannot be revealed until 50 years later.

nobelprize.org...

The list, while it might be accurate, is speculation, there is no way to know now for certain who was on the list. You will not be able to see that list until 2059.

It's just going by what the organization says. The source material I tend to trust over any media outlet.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Well, I'm not saying you're wrong (don't get me wrong)

But... Here's another article from one of the more reputable (if there were such a thing) newspapers...

meet-the-heroes-passed-o ver-for-the-2009-nobel-peace-prize

So either you're mistaken in some way or these publications are completely making things up or speculating...

... Either way it doesn't matter - Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize - Over hundreds of other more apt people - What a JOKE!!!

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Now what I can see is people who sent in nominations being able to know. Obviously the complete list won't be known for 50 years.

So I can see people who either nominated themselves or nominated someone surely would know that, but not the complete list.

I'm putting my name in for next year. I believe I should win because I allow humanity to continue to exist year after year.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Very funny.

Put my name down too!

I think I could put the money to much better use than BO anyway.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Stanton Dowd

If Jesus Christ (insert any other 'godly' person that invokes pure peace) were to have come down and placed the whole world in a state of peace, He would have lost out to President Obama....if you all can't see the tongue in cheek in that I quit.

Personally, it was a pure political move, just like giving to to Carter, Gore, and Arafat.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join