It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obvious Ruins on Mars , Vallis Marineris

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
This picture has Impressed and puzzled me for a few years now , so I thought it was about time to put it on ATS . The picture is from the Mars global surveyor and shows what appears to be a ruin and the entrance to a tunnel .
In the top left corner of the picture ,looking like it wouldn't be out of place in Mexico there's what appears to be a raised structure with terracing and something on top , lots of strait lines and rectangular shapes , the tunnel appears to be attached to the complex .
Slightly further down the left side of the picture is another site , more strait lines and rectangular shapes .

If you were to see these markings on an Aerial Photograph on earth they would indicate the existence of ruins and archeology .
So the question is does this picture indicate past civilization on Mars , and where does that tunnel go

[edit on 11-10-2009 by gortex]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
It does look rather strange, but it might be image artifacts or something. I'm not an image expert so can't really do anything but speculate. Hopefully someone can shed some light on it.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Just lookst like a crater to me.

In any case, I would love to have concreet proof of these things, but the human mind is a pattern making master and can play very mean tricks on us.

Until I step foot on Mars and see them, unfortunetly I will have to keep the skepticism level Orange.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Did you look in the top left corner of the picture , that for me is the main point of interest

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
There is a block-like quality to the rendering of the fine detail in the image. It looks like a couple of almost-parallel and almost-perpendicular lines in the rock formation have triggered this blocky effect.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
If life were a sci-fi flick, we would have already begun to get down on the surface of Mars and explore these features.

But in real life, NASA is a far less ambitious and robust explorer, sufficing on what amounts to a starvation pension. Our governments are shortsighted, neanderthalic bureaucrats whose interests stop at the end of their nose.

I'm afraid that in our lifetimes, there will never be a human foot set upon Mars and the question of life, past-present-future, will not be answered to a certainty.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I have been staring at this picture for 30mins and I have to agree with the OP. I was linked this thread by another member and I first thought this was Mars and I saw what the OP sees in the corner. IMO it does look like there is some sort of structure or group of structures underneath sand. When I looked all over the rest of the picture it seems this area stands out more IMO.
I personally believe there was once a civilization on Mars and it has been covered by the natural elements on Mars just like how things are buried under all the sand in Egypt. I also think our government(s) around the world know about this and hide it from us.... Remember how the Sphinx looked when first discovered
Who is to say nothing is buried under the sands of Mars? I have looked at too many pictures of Mars to think that it is impossible. Mars has always been a place of fascination to me and I dont really say much about it on ATS due to not wanting to get flamed

See the problem I have is that people have been so conditioned to think that nothing could ever have lived on Mars but IMO if someone is shown a picture like this and told it was in the desert they would have no problem saying that these are structures under sand. What if you were told this was in Egypt and then later found out it was Mars? Does that automatically change your mind then? Well yes to most it will. I have done this little experiment to people and once I tell them where the pic really was taken they say oh its not possible but just mins before when they thought it was on Earth it was some old structure to them.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Ohhhhhh dear. Let the voice of reason wander in (not to mention the voice of 3d rendering).....

That's an artifact of the 3d program they used (looks like Bryce, to be honest- could be Vistapro). The hole is most likely real- but the other just is the actual polygons showing thru.

Nothing to see here, move on. You too, sir.

Impress me. Find the ACTUAL pics of that region, kthanxbai.

[edit on 11-10-2009 by wylekat]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
When I was young, I was always drawing plans for submarines and space ships to be made out of old propane tanks. Thinking about going to Mars or deep under water always fired my imagination. After seeing this, I am ready to break out the welding torch.

I see the area referenced and agree it looks suspiciously like a man made construction rather than natural erosion and would love to explore it.

Remote viewer Courtney Brown in one of his books talked about RVing Mars and finding civilizations underground. Perhaps this is one of the entrances? Maybe it could be suggested to Remote Viewing organizations as a target for future mental explorations?

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Can't view the video, so I don't know if it shows a real photo, but the pic in the OP is computer generated.

So... it's a bit hard to determine what's real on it, and what's artifacts of the generation.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
First, a correction, that image is from Mars Express, not Mars Global Surveyor. You can see that the site where that image is hosted is the site for European Space Agency, ESA.

That image is a 3D computer model made with data from two cameras, one pointing to the front, the other to the back, so they get two images with a large different in point of view. That data is used latter to create those 3D models we see on the ESA site. It's common for the edges of those images to look stranger than the middle, probably because of problems with the alignment of the photos.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
It took me a second to see what you were referencing, but now I see it clearly. It does indeed look like an archeological dig out of Giza. I really like the terracing you can see in the picture!

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Sorry, I use Bryce....a lot! If this is a Digital Elevation Model (DEM), then that is the source of your "polygons showing through". However I doubt that the NASA data would be so sloppy as to produce such artifacting in a DEM. I also doubt that NASA or it's subcontractors is using Bryce or Vista Pro. I would rather think they have the budget for Maya or 3DS Max. Bryce and Vista Pro are consumer level programs, not professional level programs.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d381e303b105.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

And what about ESA? This is not a NASA image...

Didn't you read the thread?

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I think it is probably a combination of two things. The overlaying, as you mentioned, but also the focal length of the camera being used.
You see this sort of distortion in photogrammetry all the time. And what I mean by that is that the phot is generally more crisp in the middle and distorts outward. Then you get doubly overlayed distorted images. Viola.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Looks fairly sexy to me. I have no issues with the concept of alien structures on Mars or anywhere else - all quite plausible.

Certainly would be nice if we could get real info rather than BS from our space agencies and govts.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Just lookst like a crater to me.

Until I step foot on Mars and see them, unfortunetly I will have to keep the skepticism level Orange.

~Keeper

I think you are looking in the wrong area. The OP is talking about the shapes in the top left and bottom left of the photo. But, yes, there is also a big crater in the middle of the photo.

That is a distinguishable sign of civilization (rectangles clustered together), they use it in archeology to find old cities here on Earth.

As for waiting until you step foot on Mars... Good luck w/ that.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Doesnt look like much to me. And aside from that.. if it was actual structures/ruins, what reason would there be to let the public see pictures of them?... You see so many threads where people think they've discovered moon bases, alien civilizations, theme parks and the lot.. but they never seem to question why would the people who are trying to hide things from them, hand them the pictures on a plate?

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
How long will it take for you guys to realize there's friggin pyramids near the Face of Mars.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Those straight lines and rectangular shapes are compression errors and not actually part of the landscape. The rest is just topography rendered in 3D. They're representation of real scenes on mars modeled after images captured.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join