It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's largest (and mostly empty) shopping mall -- you might be surprised.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dean007
do the Chinese even make enough money to even have any to spend at a mall

if your only paying people pennies you cant expect them to come around throwing out dollars

does a meal at Macdonald's cost 8 dollars like it does in Canada
it would take them like 3 days labor to buy a supper for 1 at mcdonalds

Chinese don't spend much money because they are savers. How else do you think they can afford to buy all our debt. Only the "rich" in china can afford to eat Mcdonalds or buy Starbuck. Chinese people do not value "stuff" like we do here in the U.S. This is probably why this mall is so empty. The chinese government while communist sees how capitalism can benefit them and they have been slowly warping into some communist/capitalist system but with this slowdown you won't see it moving any faster if at all.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by pstrron
reply to post by dean007

do the Chinese even make enough money to even have any to spend at a mall if your only paying people pennies you cant expect them to come around throwing out dollars does a meal at Macdonald's cost 8 dollars like it does in Canada it would take them like 3 days labor to buy a supper for 1 at mcdonalds

I can tell someone has not been to China lately. The middle class here have money and in quantity. Can we say BMW, Benz, Toyota, Honda, GM, Porsche just to name a few in the car line not to mention the exotics. Oh and BTW, they pay cash for them. Come to the local mall and see consumerism at its finest!! But don't expect to see them using a credit card when they buy an item. Yes they do have credit cards but use cash for most purchases.

I feel sorry for you having to pay 8 dollars for a super at Mac D's, it costs me about 3 dollars here in Zhongshan. Yep we got KFC, Subway and Pizza Hut too. Mater of fact we have more products from around the world available to us than the US has. China is not exactly what you think it is.

I think the majority of our problems stem from this type of thinking. Speaking as a person in the USA I have been there done that with the Benz, great house and all of the unnecessary BS that I purchased thinking it would make me cool and in turn make me happy. I can honestly say now that I was lost. I no longer care about any of it. Deep down none of it matters. Do you really want people around you that are only interested in what you have?

In my opinion when kfc, subway, pizza hut, coke and pepsi move in then that does not equate to progress in that region but rather the begining stages of loss for the people who will eventually forget who they are and will become part of the machine of consumerism.

The mall is failing because of bad timing and bad business. Why would anyone build a monstrosity like that with out an infrastructure to support it. My hope is that this is a sign, along with all of the other mall failures, that the age of consuming is coming to an end.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
The world's largest shopping mall is no longer "The Mall of America."

Its the South China Mall... more than TWICE the size of the previous record-holder (Mall of America).

And its mostly empty these days.

The following video is beyond surreal and a must-see... combines the extreme architectual and aesthetic nuttiness of the recent "China Boom" with a cautionary tale that even fast-growing China is not invulnerable to the slowdown.

Watch the video, it will freak you out on more than one level, I believe:

www.pbs.org...

It's telling, it truly is. It shows that China is hiding alot of their economic problems without knowing that they have given away clues to their problem. Even a mall like that would have still had people come to it in the US, but the problem is that many in china don't make even close to minimum wage to go into store like this to shop. There's no stores because there's no people, there's no people because they can't afford to BUY anything in there. People fail to realize that China has over a billion people in the country and over 80% are "peasants and the rest are wither the extremely rich and/or in their version of middle class. And in this group people are moving money around in order to keep the govt. from getting their hands on it (in essence hiding as much of their wealth overseas).

This isn't the only tell around the world abouot nations and the international community slowing economically. There is THE GHOST FLEET OF THE RECESSION anchored east of Singapore. I'll post a link to the news article, pretty extensive. We are in a Depression, but our media is calling the "Great Recession". It's a word game, a Depression is a very bad recession. They can't say the D word, they just can't.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CriticalThinking

Keep trying buddy. The Chinese have some of the worst human rights and animal rights violations in the WORLD! Say what you want about the US we don't go around eating shark fin soup, tiger penises, as a delicacy. I also don't know ONE American restaurant where it's trendy to eat out of toilet bowl shaped dishes. Don't even get me started into the whole Asian anime subculture which is just weird in its own right. The Chinese are WEIRD PEOPLE in many ways. Americans are a different breed. You may not like us or respect us but we won't be the first ones making love to robots............it will be the Asians that's for sure.

[edit on 11-10-2009 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
It would be a good setting for a zombie movie.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by parrothead0333

What the heck are you talking about? Asians are some of the most materialistic people in the world. They don't value stuff? Ummmmmm ok! Come out here to California if you don't think Asians value "stuff". That's naive. The thirst for luxury items is almost an obsession for many Asians, especially Asian Americans.

And MODS quit deleting my posts in this thread. There is nothing wrong with what I'm saying.

[edit on 11-10-2009 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by pstrron
reply to post by dean007

do the Chinese even make enough money to even have any to spend at a mall if your only paying people pennies you cant expect them to come around throwing out dollars does a meal at Macdonald's cost 8 dollars like it does in Canada it would take them like 3 days labor to buy a supper for 1 at mcdonalds

I can tell someone has not been to China lately. The middle class here have money and in quantity. Can we say BMW, Benz, Toyota, Honda, GM, Porsche just to name a few in the car line not to mention the exotics. Oh and BTW, they pay cash for them. Come to the local mall and see consumerism at its finest!! But don't expect to see them using a credit card when they buy an item. Yes they do have credit cards but use cash for most purchases.

I feel sorry for you having to pay 8 dollars for a super at Mac D's, it costs me about 3 dollars here in Zhongshan. Yep we got KFC, Subway and Pizza Hut too. Mater of fact we have more products from around the world available to us than the US has. China is not exactly what you think it is.

That makes me sad actually.

People hate the west yet they try to emulate it.

I don't get it.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Who needs malls when the Chinese (Taiwanese) have toilet bowl restaurants?

www.gadling.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

EXACTLY! The Chinese aren't as smart as everyone makes them out to be. If they were they wouldn't let the Americanization of their country happen. It's ruined our culture here in the US i.e. McDonald's, WalMarts, Starbucks on every corner and it will ruin theirs as well........just give it time.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
I live in Alberta, Canada.

How big is West Edmonton Mall?
It's biggest in Canada, for sure. I thought 3rd in the world?

WEM is the 3rd largest mall in the world.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I wanted to learn more

I found this opinion piece.

China's class ceiling

www.latimes.com...

what Hong said was true. People, especially educated people with a certain cosmopolitan style, were doing all right in post-1989 China. There was money to be made, a lot of money. Fashion was booming. And so on. But at a price. And that price is what Hong called "playing the game" -- knowing what subjects to avoid, how to trim your views, how to stay out of politics. Let the dull technocrats rule China with a velvet glove -- and an iron fist for those who refuse to play the game.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
The Chinese built it to show America how to turn a Mall into a concentration camp overnight.

If they didn't spend so much time eating their children, then maybe someone would be alive to shop here.

[edit on 11-10-2009 by nwodeath]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I have an idea on how to fill this mall. It is not original though. One, get a foreign intelligence agency with the knowledge and blessing of an administration to have them attack their tallest building with planes. In the aftermatch, Hu Jintao can say we'll get who is responsible for this attack, but in the meantime...go out and spend, and keep China going. Buy, buy buy!!!

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

MSM can't call it a depression yet because the powerstructure isn't done selling it's worthless stock to the unwashed masses and setting up short contracts to profit on the downfall. Once the scheme is in place, you won't stop hearing the D word...and they'll say it with a smile.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join