It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds to 60 Million American Anglers: We don't need you

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
If you want to keep a person from hunger, you don't give them fish but teach them how to fish. Of course, if you want to keep them hungry...

Just more elitist bs on the road to codex alimentarius. Is anyone surprised?

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Desert Dawg

What's you're point? Number one anyone that is serious about backcountry travel uses the buddy system. Number two what do you think people did 200 years ago before rescue choppers and what not? There is a risk in everything in life. I can go get in my car and be dead by tomorrow. I can have a stroke in my bathroom floor and lie there and die. You make no sense. The world is a dangerous place. So what? My point is there are some places on this Earth that should remain wild and untouched save for a few foot prints and tire tracks or ripples from paddles.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

Add a couple of million people to the next march on DC.

Fishing is not a Party issue. This will anger as many on the Left as on the Right. Many rely on the fish they catch to supplement their incomes and feed their families.

There is something new like this everyday and yet so many still have their eyes closed.

I wonder what they will try to take away from us tomorrow?

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricWizard
OFF TOPIC POST REMOVED

You scare me as much as they do. Please tell me you are posting from a prison?

[edit on 10/10/09 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

Ok, I've calmed down a bit. I've thought this through.

They can't do it. Silly idea, more DC BS, but they can't do it. There would be riots, not allowing parents to feed their children, not allowing people to feed themselves. They just couldn't. It would be the end of the government right there.

Nope, not gonna happen, unless they want a revolution right there and then.

S&F for illustrating how moronic our government is. But it will not happen.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

OFF TOPIC POST REMOVED

People like you don't get it, that's why you will be sitting in the safety of your home while the real patriots are out fighting the revolution.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

OFF TOPIC POST REMOVED

People are getting fed up enough that this is going to be reality. Politicians better watch their backs. "When people lose it all, they lose it." G Celente.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I don't collect rainwater....but I plan to someday when we move out of town. Am I SUPPOSED to? I dunno. Do I plan to ASK anyone? Hell no, that is retarded.

I figure they can't enforce the laws that are on the books now....how are they gonna enforce all of the ridiculous ones? They aren't.

That said, this opens the door for the govt to "pick on" anyone they want for any reason. You make enough things illegal, eventually everyone is breaking the law in one form or another. So, you attend a rally, they take your plate # next thing you know Johnny Law is beating down your door destroying your garden, tearing up your rainwater collection and fining you into the poorhouse for any number of things or even incarcerating you, taking your kids into foster care etc.

Alot of how this affects people will depend on where you live. No way our local LE will be rounding up people or issuing summons on this crap (I know because I am married to one). A few counties over? The LE that I have met from there are real pricks and I honestly wouldn't put it past them.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Unbelievable. According to the another thread - we should be getting some BHO libs on this thread defending this approach to theft of liberties. "Hope and change"... a great slogan but I don't think Marxism was quite the change people were hoping for...

Write your Congressmen...not that they'll always listen...the liberals are so hell-bent on anything that gives Government control over our lives that I suspec they do "the happy dance" everytime they pass a new law. Geez.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
So an alarmist press release, with almost no real information, by a company that makes fishing gear, has everyone yelling "Oh noes, fishing is being banned!".

It's not being banned, certain areas are being restricted for conservation reasons. Want to bet that the areas that will be restricted will be the ones that are hardest hit by pollution or over fishing?

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadgerJoe
So an alarmist press release, with almost no real information, by a company that makes fishing gear, has everyone yelling "Oh noes, fishing is being banned!".

It's not being banned, certain areas are being restricted for conservation reasons. Want to bet that the areas that will be restricted will be the ones that are hardest hit by pollution or over fishing?

Yup, I think people are overreacting. Same thing when people say that having your own garden is now illegal, because I'm pretty sure that is far from the truth. People just read it in some B.S. article so now they're under the impression that any personal garden is against the law. lol.

[edit on 10-10-2009 by Diplomat]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
This is total tree-hugging liberal b.s. The problems I have with this are too numerous to mention, so I won't even try. What I will say is that, even if this absolutely rediculous notion passes the legislative litmus test (which I doubt), there is absolutely no way they can actively enforce it. I fish. Not as much as those who rely on it for income, not as much as those who do it for active sport. I fish freshwater and salt. And without a shadow of a doubt, I dare any government agency (namely, parks and rec, wildelife management, etc.) to try and enfore it. These pinheads can't even stop some of the more unintelligent in our midst from growing a multi-million dollar pot farm on federal parkland, yet they're supposed to have the resources to stop me and hundreds, if not thousands in my relatively rural county from fishing in our lakes & rivers? I know as now it's relegated to coastal areas and great lakes, but it's a stone's throw... and my lil' corner of the country doesn't have a tenth as many people as some coastal areas...

That being said, I would also like to add that as long as states recieve funding from the purchase of a fishing license, this will never be passed into law... if it is, they stop collecting fees from said licenses which is a fairly large chunk of money the states will fail to collect to help already strapped budgets... to say nothing of the massive dropoff in sales of fishing poles, tackle, bait, etc. that would cripple a lot of sporting goods outlets across America...

The biggest reason I think however, that the feds should give this a second thought, is that in areas like mine where fishing is legitimately used in a lot of cases to supplement not the incomes, but the diets of a good many people, things would go very badly... the image of that poor census worker lynched in W. Va. with the word "Fed" scrawled on his chest come to mind...

[edit on 10-10-2009 by Legion2112]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
...have any of the alarmist actually read the government report?... obviously not, even though its really easy to find... heres the link...

www.whitehouse.gov/assets/documents/09_17_09_Interim _Report_of_Task_Force_FINAL2.pdf.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadgerJoe

It's not alarmist, it's reality.

Our commercial fishing industries barely exist, I cannot speak for all but I do know it is fact that our shrimping industry has been sold out to imports.

75% is foreign imports such as Vietnamese and Mexican.

I would do the legwork for you and link sources but you will probably just criticize my sources.

If you want to deny ignorance search it yourself.

Visit any southern fishing port and see for yourself first hand.

[edit on 10-10-2009 by lucentenigma]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Not Happening.

I just do not see how this will retain such a public appeal.

In he Land of the Free, Home of the Brave, Our rights Will always Be.

Its the Commercial fishing that causes the most damage.

[edit on 10-10-2009 by 10001011]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
While there is data regarding commercial catches which indicates the devastating effects of some types of fishing, there is very little data on the impact (or even catch rates) of sport and subsistence fishing. This legislation has been in the works for a few years and it is based on no science, no statistical studies, nothing.

I have a hunch its origins really lie with the commercial interests trying to deflect blame from their wasteful and indiscriminate harvesting practices.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I think its a good idea to restrict fishing in certain areas for certain species of fish. Why? because some species of billfish, sharks and tuna are allmost extinct cause of overfishing. Are the sportsfisherman to blaim?
NO! Its the commercial fishing industrie worldwide and the stupid consumers worldwide that still eats swordfish, tuna and sharkfin soup.

People have to realise that raping the oceans has to end NOW.
Its the end of the world as we know it.
Most people on this globe have no idea what the status is of the current fishpopulations, coralreefs and waterquality.

Oh, I am a sportsfisherman myself and love to eat fish.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Steps.

Limits on how many fish you can catch.
Catch and release only.
Can't fish.

It was never about overfishing.

And the noose tightens.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I've been saying this from the beginning. Obama is a back-door President.

Everyone that is sitting around for him to outlaw guns and declare martial law as the "signs" that the US is finally done, it won't happen.

Instead, he will use the less obvious route in obtaining the same thing. That way, it won't cause a lot of hoopla with the sheeple.

**He won't take your guns - you just won't have ammo.
**He won't take your food - you just won't be able to catch it.
**He won't remove the First Amendment - he will just issue "parameters" on the first amendment. (See speech to U.N. for example)
**He won't mandate vaccines - you just won't be able to function without one (school, job, public functions, etc.)
**He won't declare martial law - we'll just be inundated with military police doing the same thing but it will be because we need them to make up for the police that we now don't have due to tanking state budgets.
**He won't bother the average American, just the terrorists -- you just have to realize that the word terrorist has now encompassed more than 40% of Americans.

What did everybody think he was going to do with 27+ new czars, working in various agencies, some that are brand new, with absolutely nobody watching THEM -- except for Obama of course, whom they directly report.

The checks and balances of government went right out the window and nobody even noticed.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join