It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bumper crop harvest, and possible shortages.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Hi, I am stuck in hicksville Iowa, While I hate this place, I do pick up a lot from the farmers, I do hold some knowledge that most people on ATS may not be aware of, some of this everyone knows.

Ethanol, they take corn, make moonshine, government buys it, sells it at a loss.
Everyone knows about this.
What you may not know is that farmers over the past few years have been switching their fields to corn from other crops in hopes of a bumper crop and cash in on this amazing opportunity.

This fall the midwest has a problem. Heavy rains hit a huge part of the midwest right before harvest went into full swing, now don't worry, the crops won't rot or anything, but they will be ruined by spring. The harvest has been delayed around the midwest because the heavy combines cannot drive on wet fields, normally harvest is the dryest time of the year.

Yesterday a storm swept across North/South Dakota, and parts of Nebraska and Iowa. As I write this, there is over an inch of snow on the ground. If the snow starts flying, combines still can't harvest, due to getting stuck and, not being able to sift through snow to grab the bean and corn stalks. If the harvest fails around here, the implications are a domino effect as corn is used in everything.

Just thought ATS should know what's going on.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

So, I take it that this is going to be a waiting game then. To see if we have a shortage of corn or beans this year? I wonder how many acres are actually affected with this troublesome weather.

Good post. I will keep checking on it for further info.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
A couple of years ago here in Australia we had a shortage of banana's, they went up to between $15 - $19 a kilo. Same might happen over there. Buy up know! lol. I feel sorry for the farmers.

Cherry

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
reply to post by Happyfeet

So, I take it that this is going to be a waiting game then. To see if we have a shortage of corn or beans this year? I wonder how many acres are actually affected with this troublesome weather.

Good post. I will keep checking on it for further info.

We are already down on soybeans due to everyone growing corn instead, trying to get rich off the ethanol BS.

This is not about affected acres, its about half of 3 or more states.

top topics

join