It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am going to stereotype 99% of all Americans in this thread... Please join me.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Almost every American strives for two goals in their life. When we eliminate the basic needs of food, water, shelter, and our means to survive... What are Americans striving for? I've narrowed it down to two things.

Comfortability and Popularity.

Those are the two basic things that 99% of all Americans are working for... Let me go into detail.

1.) Comfortability - By this I mean, Americans have built this civilization into a nation full of comfort creatures that we are no longer able to survive in the quote on quote "wild", we are no longer able to function without our TV's, microwave ovens, and Computers. While the same thing might apply to those in China, Russia, India, and especially Europe... Americans have taken the definition of "comfort creature" to a whole new level.

And this is why I'm getting prepared for when SHTF, because I know that 99% of the people in this nation would go crazy if they had to tough it out like our grandparents did in the 1930's. The stories we hear about our grandparents having to walk 5 miles to school in the freezing snow no longer apply to this generation, because we might catch the 'flu' if we had to do that. As or consumption escalated after WWII... Where do we find ourselves today as consumers? You wouldn't see a 330 lb offensive lineman in the NFL in those days... You wouldn't see a house with 5 TV's in it... And most importantly, you wouldn't see a telephone that could also be used as a camera.

While it's obvious that Mankind should strive to become comfortable in life... weather it's by the means of technology or science... We shouldn't become dependent upon it. Not as an individual and especially not as a society, because now we are doomed to for the worst if the lights go out and the medicine is not available. Speaking of medicine, look at how parents have stayed in their comfort zone when dealing with their children... Instead of getting at the root of their behavior problems, they simply go to a doctor to prescribe them some kind of ADD pill and the problem is solved. They have a pill for every little problem that we might have with our health, and it's all in the name of "comfort".

2.) Popularity - How does every elected official get into office? Through popularity. How does an actor or an actress get casted for a movie? Popularity... Hell, why is Glenn Beck able to say what he says on Fox News and get away with it, because those views are becoming popular (but at the same time he is dong a great job of trying to be unpopular as a person, a technique that Alex Jones is using which goes into the realm of reverse psychology that I won't get into in this thread).

Basically... Popularity = Conformity. If you want to be a popular man in this society, you must conform to ways of the world. Let me ask you Christians this: do you think Jesus Christ was a very popular guy when he was alive at the age of 33? Obviously not.

Yes, it's no mystery that popularity is something we all secretly desire. We want people to like us. The sad part is, we all have to take a step back and look at what's becoming popular these days. I will tell you what's growing in popularity that concerns me: Ignorance. Maybe not so much for us adults, but one way or another, being ignorant has become such a popular way of life for children in Jr.High, that one's social life has become more important and the primary focus as opposed to the actual education they are suppose to receive there. For more on this subject, watch this video:

The Bottom Line:

Comfortability and Popularity are the two dominant factors that drive the American economy. Everything you see an advertisement for these days is probably to serve one of the two purposes : It's either a product that will take your comfort level to another level, or a product that will make you more popular. Why is it that ugly rock stars, and old rich men seem to get the most attractive girlfriends... it's because they can provide them with a comfortable life style and they are popular in society (Hugh Hefner for example). So where is the cut off point? When are we as a society finally going to realize that most of the stuff that we live for is not necessary for our daily lives? Recently a new movie came out called the Surrogates that I'm sure most of you are aware of... Or maybe you've seen Wall-E. Are we just going to keep on consuming stuff we don't need until every natural resource is used up?

So why is this a problem?

Because with the knowledge we've gotten here on ATS, and other various websites via the internet.... It's time for us to become a little less popular and to come out of our comfort zones.
You think it's going to be comfortable if we have successful revolution? How popular are you right now when you speak up about 9/11 to other Americans you socialize with. Get out of your comfort zone and Go sell your I-Pod, your PSP, and your X-Box and give that money to victim of this economic crisis were in.

A wise man once said to me in Alcoholics Anonymous, "If I wanted to be comfortable I would drink every night to take away the pain, therefore the only way to quit drinking is to take myself out of this comfort zone. And what does that do for my social life seeing that most of my friends drink?... Well, it doesn't make me very popular because I can no longer share the same night life as they do."

You know... the people we typically don't like here on ATS ("The Powers that Be" so to speak) are very POPULAR amongst the masses, and they live very COMFORTABLE lives. And make no mistake about it, they want you to strive your best to be just like them.

Now in the thread title I did say 99% .... So what is the other 1% doing you might ask? Well these people are the true Heros, and typically they aren't living very comfortably, and they aren't very popular in our American society.... Maybe you can figure out who these people are.

All I know is if we want to make any changes in this country, we are going to have to do it in a very uncomfortable manner, and at first, we won't be very popular for doing whatever it is we must do to save the last bit of humanity in this country.

God bless you, Good Night.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

I strive to create wealth to pass to my children and to give them the means to create more to pass to their children. This usually puts me in situations where I am uncomfortable and sometimes unpopular. However, I see your point.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
But if I sell my xbox then I can't play modern warfare when it comes out next month. Why would you rob me of such a pleasure? life's hard enough without giving stuff away. If jesus had an xbox, he might have been a bit happier! He would have never messed with the romans and got himself nailed to a cross............

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badfuture
But if I sell my xbox then I can't play modern warfare when it comes out next month. Why would you rob me of such a pleasure? life's hard enough without giving stuff away. If jesus had an xbox, he might have been a bit happier! He would have never messed with the romans and got himself nailed to a cross............

Alright keep the X-Box, you made a good point.

Uhmmm... just try do something that nobody else want to do. Do something that sucks.

Yea... that's my message... Do something that sucks!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Popularity? Maybe in highschool.

Mine would be comfort and peace. Peace in my own life and peace in the world.

My world peace = no corruption.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by FredMcWoozy]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredMcWoozy
Popularity? Maybe in highschool.

Mine would be comfort and peace. Peace in my own life and peace in the world.

My world peace = no corruption.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by FredMcWoozy]

Well you post on ATS... so your cool in my book.

But the popularity contest does continue for most well after college. Most people just don't realize it.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I think maybe you mean status and not popularity. I want neither. I'm happy just to be left alone so I can engage in whatever I want to without any consequences. also possessions are nice. for me its CD's/records and books.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Totalstranger
I think maybe you mean status and not popularity. I want neither. I'm happy just to be left alone so I can engage in whatever I want to without any consequences. also possessions are nice. for me its CD's/records and books.

Yea... That's what I mean

but it's kind of the same thing... right?

anyway... star for you, thanks for pointing that out.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by Doomsday 2029]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I would agree with a lot of what your saying, however one of the biggest causes of the current problems, and forgive me for this, I do not intend to look like I am attacking anyone or their way of life.

This way of life or problem as you mentioned started IMO, with the American Dream, remember that? when you could see it every day, every where, advertised, telling you and everyone, you could do achieve, and become anything you wanted, using the Great American Dream.

I don't know if it is still broadcast like it used to be, it was to some extent in 2004 the last time I visited, but even then it seemed to be fading a little, and now for so many it turned into a Great American Nightmare, be cause what was offered was being offered by those who nearly took down the economy.

This where I get into trouble I think, but I could never get my head around the self applause I used to see, on TV shows, at School, at Work, clapping and applauding themselves, it looked so odd to me, Don't know about any body else, another thing I saw which did upset me a little, was when kids where encouraged to take part in competitive sports, I witnessed more than one occasion, a parent absolutely make their kid feel like they let their Parents down because they didn't win, actually saw on Mother call her kid a failure because they let in some goals playing soccer.

You are right the comfort zone is too important to so many people, like they don't care as long as their little part of the World is not effected.

As for popularity, I guess I see it more in older teenagers than Adults, but it is there, being popular as being more important than being themselves, like hanging out with the popular kids at School and everyone else being a Nerd or whatever else people are labelled as.

But for that a lot of the blame has to fall on the parents and IMO is selfish, it's later in life when these kids go out into the World that it can cause a problem, even when it's happening it can lead to bullying and worse.

Ever seen the TV show on MTV called my sweet sixteen? where the kids get a party organised for them by their Parents? popular kids invitation list, car hunting with a titty lip if they cant get the car they want, Famous Entertainers performing for them, hand made designer dresses, sometimes I see that show and want to take the Parents into a room and tell them they are doing their kids no favours, why let them talk to you like that, make demands, treat everyone like S***.

I find it quite grotesque TBH.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Saw this video on you tube that I think sums it up nicely.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

Great Post !

Ignorance. Maybe not so much for us adults, but one way or another, being ignorant has become such a popular way of life for children in Jr.High, that one's social life has become more important and the primary focus as opposed to the actual education they are suppose to receive there.

As someone just out of highschool I have to say this is dead-on. Ignorance is now cool, what shoes you have on, what females your seen with and who your crew is are the cool things nowadays.

I have to say since getting out of highschool ive learned more about life then I ever have in all my years of school. Things that used to matter clothes money females etc were the driving force in my life and they still are to an extent but now I try to become a better man eveyday I am here. I try to live my life as an example, I educate myself and search for the truth.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I respectfully disagree. 99% of all Americans wanting those two things only feeds into the bias that we are a shallow, superficial country. Comfortability and popularity may be the goals of younger people. At least, those were my goals in my teens and early twenties. However, I think at each stage in one's life that our goals change along with what we currently value or need. Also, we are a great melting pot of diverse people with different values, personalities, geographic locations, and backgrounds. It's unfair to make a blanket assumption that we are all clones of an ill-perceived global bias. That's also dangerous to fuel the hatred of anyone who might use that to justify coming to our country and harming innocent people with a deplorable terrorist act.

I've seen it mentioned here many times how we shouldn't trust our media because they are controlled by the elite. Keep in mind that if that's true that not only do they misrepresent America to the world, but they also misrepresent Americans to ourselves. That's how they keep us divided to keep us from uniting to take back our country. Remember, 'United We Stand, Divided We Fall'. They want us to fall and keep us divided and confused so that we won't remember that we outnumber them and that this is OUR country of the People, by the People, and for the People. For instance, if you turn on your television, radio, internet, etc. and read the news, almost all of it is garbage or sad. We must remember that is what is CHOSEN to be reported. I know for a fact that there are many happy things that could be reported and good deeds done by good, solid, hard-working, family-loving, creator-fearing, friendly, down-to-earth people. I happen to know a lot of people like that.

I think the message that we should be sending out to the world is that America is still a good country, full of good, solid, dependable people because it's the truth. Like other countries full of good solid people, many of TPTB who make the decisions for us have their own agendas and make decisions for us that do not necessarily reflect what the majority of the population wants or how we feel. This happens in all countries including the countries of our 'enemies'. I think that TPTB of many of those countries do what ours do; they play their war games and make behind the scene deals to keep them in charge of us all at the expense of us all.

Unfortunately, the innocent people in those countries are the ones who often pay the price for their leader's ego or agenda with their lives or the lives of their friends and family. For example, some of their leaders (like Aminejhad) do not care any more for them than to build nuclear facilities in the heart of the population. What kind of caring leader uses his people as a shield? That's dangerous, cowardly, and not caring about their lives or the lives of their children. It always breaks my heart to hear about a massive (and avoidable) loss of life due to some country launching an attack on another country and seeing the pain on the regular people's (especially women and children's) faces. It's devastating because it's a human pain that crosses regional, geographic, ethnic, racial, gender, and religious boundaries. We all love our families and children, want a future for them, and to be able to live in peace. My heart cries out for the innocent people because it's not their fault. The 'regular' people just trying to live their lives and raise their famiiles are innocent just like 'regular' Americans who work hard every day doing the exact same thing. I shudder to think what it would be like to have to live like that everyday--not knowing if TPTB might attack a neighboring country that might spawn a retaliation that might destroy my family and community at any time. I would imagine that the stress is really high. I pray for innocent 'regular' people in not only our country but countries all over the world everyday in my plea for peace. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
When we educate ourselves and can identify whom our true enemies are, we might found out that the world has more in common than we think and that we are all worth saving. That's what TPTB don't want us to remember. They want to point a finger at whom they consider their enemies and then convince us that they are our enemies too. A heart full of hate has no room for love.

Personally, I strive for peace, harmony, love, safety, and financial freedom. I hope to give my children a good education and instill good qualities in them so that they'll grow up to be good people and responsible citizens. I try my best to lead by example. I try to teach them to be tolerant and care about other people. Those are some of the things that are important to me.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by gazerstar]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Wait a minute. I think stereotyping is against the ats rules.

I can see this becoming a big anti American thread.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I may be the 1% of Americans but uh, when I knock off all the basic needs, I want to help people and destroy all closed-minded jerks who wish for us to be imprisoned physicly, and mentaly.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
No growth in comfort
no comfort in growth
spiritually I suppose
but yeah I totally agree
I can't understand when people get so angry and so frustrated over the
most trivial of things.
when something doesn't work out EXACTLY as they planned or something doesn't work EXACTLY as it's supposed to
And I can't help but get agitated when people get this way 'cause well I dont really know
know what im talkin' 'bout

Theres just to much self-centeredness in world
When will we learn that living other-centered is the only way we can be happy ourselves

[edit on 10-10-2009 by mxridr618]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Simple version:

I am poor, over 35, balding, and on disability. Makes me VERY unpopular. Also makes me extremely single.

I (used to) own 2 computers: one for the internet tasks, IMing, looking up pics, blueprints, and tutorials for my 3d program, located on the now dead other computer. As for comfort.... Ha. 'comfort' is being able to fall asleep without the worry of the day still bothering me.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
99 Americans want 99 different things. And the last guy's probably a vet so all he wants is the fricken VA to provide him with some decent health care after he sacrificed his legs in the war for Bush's private jet.

That makes you 100% wrong.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Bless your heart. I 'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. Keep your head up. You've still got things going your way. For example, you still have a computer and have the ability to log into ATS and hang out and converse with us. That's a win!

Your post is a perfect example of how fleeting and unimportant popularity really is in the grand scheme of things. I determine how important something is by comparing it to basic needs. Would I rather eat or be popular? Would I rather be healthy or be popular? Would I rather have shelter or be popular? Do I want to have a job or go for that high-paying promotion or be popular? Do I want to be a good person and surround myself with genuine people who care about me and have my best interests in mind (and vice versa) or be popular? Looked at from that point of view, at least for me, the choice is a no-brainer.

[edit on 10-10-2009 by gazerstar]

[edit on 10-10-2009 by gazerstar]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
i swear u had a thread that said u left ATS for good.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join