It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I know honest polls are America, but do Petitions work..?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I forget how many petitions I have signed for or against, and all I recall is disappointment, I dont recall a single petition that I signed to go my way. ever...
at the most maybe 1 or 2 out of haundreds, I signed so many. I'm sure I did find out the results of atleast 10 or so... just trying to be honest here.... but seriously - are petitions like pissing in the wind....?

just as it is in the service when you file an appeal.. I dont ever recall one ever being granted.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by Anti-Evil]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Petitions are the first step to getting an issue on the ballot... that's it. So, if it does it's job, than it works... *shrug*

Having said that, I don't even bother with them anymore. I'm desensitized, I know, but you can't go anywhere in this town without running into petitioners on every corner... *shrugs again*

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I mean like when you petition congress to do its thing.
*note: The MSM announced that 97% of voters called
their congressmen to vote no, on the 700 billion$$$.
and they passed it anyway. now, that is armed robbery,
extortion, and what is the worse part of it is ......
it taxation without representation, a time to change
the whole enchilada... and polygraph the witnesses until
we know the full extent of this criminal enterprise... but,
there I go dreaming again, if jefferson were alive, he would
roll over in his grave... ha ha

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Evil

When I was in high school the teachers wouldn't let us play poker in study hall.

I passed out a petition and people signed it. I can't remember if it was ever presented to anyone.

Anyway, after a while we resumed playing poker for change only. Nickels, dimes, quarters.

That was a long time ago. Nowadays I think the ass holes are more entrenched and less flexible.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Evil

No,Anti-Evil they don't work here's where most petitions end up:

PS:God Bless America.

[edit on 023131p://0326 by mike dangerously]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Evil
I mean like when you petition congress to do its thing.
*note: The MSM announced that 97% of voters called
their congressmen to vote no, on the 700 billion$$$.
and they passed it anyway.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

...and with that sentence you came so close to exposing the reason petitioning the government doesn't yield results anymore. If you'd just gone a little bit further down the road you were on, I think you'd have answered your own question. That answer, of course, is why the 97% of voters who's wishes were blatently ignored by those sitting reps didn't hit the polls and vote them out? Until the average US voter wakes up and stops blindly voting along party lines or solely based on tradition or buzz-topic stances the media uses to stir up conflict between different candidates, petitions will continue to be wholely ignored. However, if we'd actual grow an electorate with spines and brains and vote to replace those "representatives" who have stopped representing the bulk of their districts, watch how quickly legitimate petitions would once again be noticed and cared for by seated reps.

We all have the power to enact changes, but signing a petition is meaningless unless you take it a step further and use your vote, (or your money, your time, or your product loyalty if the petition is not political in nature) to actually reward those who acknowledged the issue you were supporting or punish the ones who ignored it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

top topics

join