It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who watched NASA bomb the moon? with your own eyes

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by minkey53

when India found loads of water on the moon only a few weeks ago.

I agree it was a waste of money, but they have been planning this mission since 2007, they didn't know back then India was gonna find anything let alone make it all the way to the moon and have the thing actually work.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
So are we going to see some kind of official update from Nasa showing what happened???

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Who knows, they probably missed the moon completely and that thing just slingshot back around and we will be seeing it burning up in our atmosphere next week.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences.

Explanation: Even with a 10km high plume, anybody trying to see it with their own eyes is expecting way to much from the human eyes ability to resolve such things at such large distances! To prove my point I here provide link to several earth rise pictures taken from the surface of the moon. Notice that looking back at the earth at exactly the same distance away that we look back at the moon i.e. 385,000km approx, that one CANNOT discern an atmosphere at the periphery of the lit side of the planet earth! FYI the earth has an atmosphere thats main bulk is below 70km approx in height from its surface or 7 times of the max height of the luna impact plume that was to be created by the impact of 2metric tons at 5-6000km/hr or about 1/5th the max speed of the Apollo spacecraft.

Earth Rise 1

Earth Rise [Big]

Earth Rise 2

Personal Disclosure: I also note that Mt Everest is about 9km high from sea level [just shy of the 10km luna impact plume] and even it would not be discernable with the naked eye from over 385,000km away! Anybody care to refute?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I saw a white out and thought that was the explosion but I'm guessing it was a dud. There was no real explosion. What was that white out?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

I hope no human can see that far. Yikes.

I don't think anyone was saying they were watching with their naked eyes, OP said telescope, everyone else watched on tv or on the computer.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

LOL.

So, let me guess this straight - NASA is for some unknown reason in a massive cover-up, trying to keep ice on the moon secret. Despite all this, they deliberatively launch multiple probes designed to prove the incidence of water on the moon. They even supply India with the "Moon Mineralogy Mapper", which later finds more evidence on water on the moon. And that is supposed to be justification to canceling a mission to get even more data, that has already been launched? You don't use NASA as a source? Yes you do. The "Moon Mineralogy Mapper" was from NASA.

Thank you for another stunning post however.

[edit on 9/10/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleObserver

Disclaimer: As above!

Explanation: Even with binoculars or a small telescope it would of been a long shot....the Hubble telescope can't even resolve to a level at that distance that would kybosh any amiguity on whether the pictures I provided as evidence are REAL or not! i.e. Did the Apollo missions actually go to and land on the moon! Its a massive eye and I'm totally puzzled as to why it was not used in this case?
It might not be able to see the landers etc but a 10km luna dust plume I'm sure would have been pretty freaking obvious to it!

Personal Disclosure: I had an opportunity to read this Australian ABC news website article and in it it clearly states that ""We don't anticipate anything about presence or absence of water immediately. It's going to take us some time," said Anthony Colaprete, principal investigator for the LCROSS mission.

Mr Colaprete projected it would take several days for analysts to evaluate the data and several weeks to determine whether and how much hydrogen-bearing compounds were found.

For those hoping to catch a bare-eyed glimpse of the impact, the scientist had sad news.

"It's not going to be a grand spectacle that you can go outside in your backyard and see with your bare eyes or even a good binoculars. It's going to be too faint," Mr Colaprete said.".....

Edited to add...I was just watching NASA TV and they say hubble was used! So I am anxiously awaiting those pictures to become available!

[edit on 9-10-2009 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
With so many telescopes on earth and in space all pointed at the location someone somewhere had to of seen something if it hit. Let me dig up a link I posted on another thread about being able to see impacts on the moon with small telescopes from earth.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
This is a small example, I know the projectile NASA threw at the moon was going much slower than my example but it was also much bigger than this 10inch rock that was recorded from a small telescope on earth.

science.nasa.gov...

NASA said small telescopes would be able to see the debris cloud 30-90 seconds after impact. I watched it on my tv on the NASA channel and the only thing I got to see was their cameras go out before impact and then the control team clapping.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleObserver

Disclaimer: As elsewhere!

Explanation: Please provide a link to exactly where NASA said that small telescopes would be able to view the plume 30-90 seconds after impact.

Personal Disclosure: Very interesting video so star for you! But I do note that it only registers a flash of impact that lasted an incredibly small amount of time i.e. 4/10ths of 1 second and it also doesn't show a plume!
I also note that the video is very low quality and this appears to be the result of using an IR setting or filter as I can see more craters with my naked eye than what that video details!

P.S. That 10 inch rock that hit the moon was travelling about 22 times faster than the LCROSS impacts.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Please provide a link to exactly where NASA said that small telescopes would be able to view the plume 30-90 seconds after impact.

I heard this when watching NASA tv, but I found a link. Go down to the bottom of the page.

lcross.arc.nasa.gov...

Remember: * This event only lasts a couple minutes. Timing is key. Be ready. Know where to look and give your eyes some time to 'dark adapt' prior to impact time. * If you are watching through a telescope, you've only got one eyepiece. If there are a number of friends & neighbors out viewing using just the one telescope, it will be tough to share 2 minutes between 5-10 people. Suggest also having the website up or going to an event that can project the impact event for many people to view. Star parties are great because of the large number of scopes out, and you'll easily 'hear' when the folks with the bigger scopes see the event, but the same people-to-eyepiece ratio can exist & may be even worse. * This event is short (20-120 sec. for best part), low (2-10 km height) and dim (magnitude 6-11).

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Not sure why the link isn't working, try again.

lcross.arc.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
From what I saw on CNN this morning, no one saw anything and they said that they (NASA) is issuing computer generated images of what it looked like or should have looked like, since they don't have any actual images.

As to the waste of money, I couldn't agree more. As I was listening to the explanations of why it's no big deal to crash a missile shell into it, which was that the moon is hit by meteorites and such multiple times a month. Why couldn't we have waited a week or so for the next impact and collect the data? Since it happens all the time why do we have recreate it?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I fell this is more symbolic... We "attacked" the moon to get "Water".

What is happening tonight with the Russian and Guy Laliberté, Bono, all around the world? Something about... water!

There is DEFINITLY a water spin in the world, don't know why, but I think we just entered an era we we will fight for water.

Curiously today, Barack Obama that won the PEACE nobel prize... make's me wonder why... I think there is a push to make this idea in our mind: Barrack is a man of PEACE (So... not war).

How in the world can a peace nobel prize declares a war on any country?

You know what also? Did you know that the best place on earth to see the impact was at Hawaii? They said that on the news yesterday... Something's up for me, it is clear.

Oh... dans today is the monkey sign day on the mayan calendar "A good day to start anything new in your life." , just to get a little bit spiritual hehe

forgot, yes I watched it on the tv feed.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by 13Etznab]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
i used my own eyes but i used cnn but the tv screen had screen flare

[edit on 9-10-2009 by dashar]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Ok, I just heard it again so I'm not mistaken, NASA said the camera cut out right before impact (CNN) they do say that more pics might be on the way. I wonder where these possible images will come from, as if there was multiple satellites ready for photos wouldn't we have those already? Perhaps, there checking others on the chance they may have picked something up?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It was a shame. Next to nothing could be seen on NASA's live feed which was zoomed in on the specific crater, so I can only imagine there was nothing to be seen with the naked eye either.

And for the record, some typical NASA:

NASA probes give moon a double smack

...NASA officials said their instruments were working, but live photos of the actual crash were missing.

Deja-Vu? Anybody?

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Nobody saw it.

Because it didnt happen.

There is zero evidence showing what NASA claims happened here.

Originally posted by minkey53
So are we going to see some kind of official update from Nasa showing what happened???

Yes you will. Question is weather you will accept it as the truth or not.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Very good point

They could of saved part of the wasted money if not half and built a smaller Shepherding Spacecraft to fly into a debris plume from the many rocks that crash into the moon weekly/monthly, of course they would need to getting the timing down but they should be able to figure that part out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join