It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama Wins Nobel

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggystar60

Originally posted by GAOTU789
This is ridiculous.

I don't think it's either absurd nor ridiculous. As a Norwegian, I also feel a need to defend my contry's decision in this matter.
I will repost a comment I made in a duplicate thread that was closed:

"Personally I am both happy and very proud that my country has awarded Obama the Nobel Peace Prize. Obama has given the world a hope for change to the better. I think the prize is well deserved.

I don't think you will find any politicians or officials in Norway who would say this in in public, but there is no doubt in my mind that this award also is a kick in the but and a message to president Bush. Do Americans have any idea how SCARY Bush was to the rest of the world? Do you have any idea what a RELIEF it was when you guys finally managed to elect someone with a brain?

Bush was VERY much disliked, at least by people here in Scandinavia. People had NO respect for him AT ALL. He came across as this shallow, clumsy and not very bright man, completely controlled and manipulated by some really creepy, evil charachters around him. It was like ANYTHING could happen with this man in the White House. Anything bad. And bad things sure did happen...

Like a war in Iraq. What was the reason for that war again..? Oh, someone didn't care too much about the truth, did they? And how many young American men and women have lost their lives in that war again..? How many men, children and women all together? Oh, and that American economy thing, THAT sure didn't go to well, did it..?

Bush and his administration brought fear, stupidity and mistrust to the world. Fear, stupidity and mistrust opens up for hate and war.

Obama brought hope to the world. Hope opens up for collaboration, understanding and PEACE. THAT is the reason he was given the Nobel Peace Prize.

Congratulations, president Obama. As a Norwegian citizen and tax payer this prize is from me too. I am proud to give it to you, and welcome to Oslo!

(Oh, and to spare some of you a good, long rant: Yes, I am a leftie and proud of that too. But feel free to flame me anyway. It's not like it is going to make me change my political standpoints.)"

Peace.

(Edit because of spelling.)

[edit on 9/10/09 by ziggystar60]

Was Norway feeling the same pride when Kissenger won? Would you defend that as well?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Was Norway feeling the same pride when Kissenger won? Would you defend that as well?

Or Menachem Begin and Yasser Arafat.....

I don't think anyone is "attacking" Norway; but I never even knew it was *that* much one country's opinion. It's wierd it should have such an impact then.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
about the time Al Gore was given this honor, it stopped being considered and honor in my book. This really does take the cake though. That idiot Gore deserved it more than Obama. And my fingers started smoking when I typed that last line. In the world there are people who selflessly give their time and resources to help humanity. Mother Theresa comes to mind. Ghandi is another. Just when exactly did the Nobel Peace prize become a political gift?

And for all the Jimmy Carter idiots out there, I wouldn't care if he was purple with green stripes. This is so far beyond stupid it would take eons just to get a glimpse of stupids back side.

I guess this is what hell is like. you are normal and surrounded by dumbasses.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Do Americans have any idea how SCARY Bush was to the rest of the world? Do you have any idea what a RELIEF it was when you guys finally managed to elect someone with a brain?

Some of us do. Yes. Some of us agree 100% with you on this. And I also agree that it may be a bit of a snub to Bush. Good.

So, you support using the award for political purposes to punish someone you don't like? Doesn't it bother you that it cheapens the real accomplishments of previous award winners? Pitifully partisan if you do.

Originally posted by centurion1211
... the Nobel prizes are given for actual accomplishments, and not "hope".

You're mistaken. It's given for vision, determination and courage. Not actual accomplishments.

Aren't you here shilling for obama again, when you claimed you don't do that?

In the meantime, I have the vision that advances in physics will someday allow us to travel to the stars, the determination to promote that vision anytime I get the chance, and the courage to maintain that vision in the face of criticism and nay-saying by others.

By your estimation, I'm now due the Nobel Physics prize.

[edit on 10/9/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
There's absolutely NOTHING Obama can do that would please some people here in the U.S., so it's not surprising that the Nobel Peace Prize has just become another opportunity for Obama-bashing. Also Nobel Prize bashing, because it has been given to two other Democrats in the past.

IMO it's just impossible to get across to some detractors how much Obama is valued by the rest of the world. He has taken American diplomacy in a completely different direction from the Bush administration and has shown a genuine desire to contribute to the peace and welfare of the rest of the world.

The old saying is true, I suppose: A prophet is never recognized in his own city.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
My two cents:

First: Yes...he's made some speeches about peace and disarming nukes across the world. That's great.

I am all for peace. I can talk all day about it...doesn't mean I deserve a Nobel Peace Prize.

Second: We are FIGHTING IN THREE COUNTRIES with a possible FOURTH if you include IRAN.

That is NOT PEACE. If he ended that...then he'd deserve one....but he didn't.

Yes, Republicans are going to bash everything he does or doesn't do...everyone knows that.

But it doesn't change the fact that giving him this was ridiculous.

I can't wait till the day we actually have an ANTI-WAR President.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

are you for real? He was nominated 11 days into his presidency.

I openly admit I don't like him as my president. He has NO experience and didn't do anything prior to being elected that should have made him even eligible. A Charismatic community organizer should not a president make.

Could you tell me what in your opinion he did to deserve this honor. You might convince us all that we are delusional.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

Could you tell me what in your opinion he did to deserve this honor. You might convince us all that we are delusional.

That's right. You are not only delusional but IGNORANT of the facts! President Obama couldn't fully attend to all his scheduled peace-keeping activities, because the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are time demanding affairs. But the members of the Nobel Prize Committee are intelligent people; they were aware of this obstacle that President Obama had to encounter. President Obama's potentials is what the committee recognized and awarded.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
There's absolutely NOTHING Obama can do that would please some people here in the U.S., so it's not surprising that the Nobel Peace Prize has just become another opportunity for Obama-bashing. Also Nobel Prize bashing, because it has been given to two other Democrats in the past.

IMO it's just impossible to get across to some detractors how much Obama is valued by the rest of the world. He has taken American diplomacy in a completely different direction from the Bush administration and has shown a genuine desire to contribute to the peace and welfare of the rest of the world.

The old saying is true, I suppose: A prophet is never recognized in his own city.

Here is the truth:
www.pbs.org...

Read it and then seriously try to convince yourself in the mirror at night that your "prophet" is contributing to the peace and welfare of the world. I dare you. This isn't a partisan issue and I am sick and tired of political hacks making excuses for this guy. This isn't a left/right thing, this is about PEACE and writing executive orders that force abortions in African nations due to lack of "resources" is not peaceful. Ever. We should take the "defense" budget, defund it and put that money where hungry mouths are instead of hot air and mainly back into our own country.

And if any one says "change is slow" I'll never take you seriously again.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by justinsweatt]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

So, you support using the award for political purposes to punish someone you don't like?

I didn't say that. The fact that it is a snub to Bush is just a bit of serendipity. And I don't dislike Bush because of his party, but because of his actions.

Aren't you here shilling for obama again, when you claimed you don't do that?

I said I wouldn't have given him the prize myself. That doesn't sound like "shilling" to me. Besides, I am neither a spokesperson nor a promoter for Obama. He doesn't need me. I'm just stating my opinion.

By your estimation, I'm now due the Nobel Physics prize.

That was not my estimation. It was a direct quote from the Nobel prize website. Are you accusing me of being on the committee, now?

Good luck on getting that prize.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

The stunning choice made Obama the third sitting U.S. president to win the Nobel Peace Prize and shocked Nobel observers because Obama took office less than two weeks before the Feb. 1 nomination deadline. Obama's name had been mentioned in speculation before the award but many Nobel watchers believed it was too early to award the president.

The nobel prize is such a farce. I guess those who get impressed by this type of stuff will give more approval to him now. He was nominated less than two weeks after he took office! That's messed up!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa

The nobel prize is such a farce. I guess those who get impressed by this type of stuff will give more approval to him now. He was nominated less than two weeks after he took office! That's messed up!

No it's not. There was no president before Obama who could see that far. Just ask yourself a question what was the prize of gold then and what is it now.
1.bp.blogspot.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander

Originally posted by Jessicamsa

No it's not. There was no president before Obama who could see that far. Just ask yourself a question what was the prize of gold then and what is it now.
1.bp.blogspot.com...

I do not understand what you are talking about. See what far??

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
No doubt to me that this "PRIZE" was given to lend credence.
What a farce!
A couple speeches, talking to some dictators, and enslaving our children's grandchildren.
Way to go!!

I think that stupid just got bumped up to a whole new level.

GFYS!!!

[edit on 10/9/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I gave you a star for a well argued position even though I disagree with your final conclusions.

Please be safe.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Nobel prizes are just tools for manipulation. It's just another marketing scam to convince the world Barak is the man. Really, it's just another nail in the coffin of the legitimacy of the Nobel Prize. It just helps people realize it fraud, the whole fraud and nothing but fraud.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
hm, i love Barrack Obama and i have to be one of the biggest supporters out there, but i have to say that when i heard this news, it was really surprising.
he's only been in office for what? 9 months more or less and he's received an award.
It wasnt anything memorable fersher like discovering a cure for AIDS. so i was a bit surprised when he won this award.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789
This is ridiculous.

I don't think it's either absurd nor ridiculous. As a Norwegian, I also feel a need to defend my contry's decision in this matter.

NO(R)WAY?

...............NO WAY!
nobel peace pRize

[edit on 10/9/2009 by stander]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Given that the Nobel selection committee is now handing out awards on the basis of what people plan to accomplish, I hereby announce that over the next year, I will:

(a) write the greatest novel in the history of the English Language
(b) cure cancer
(c) discover teleportation
(d) develop a chemical process for turning atmospheric carbon into cheeseburgers
(e) end all war, everywhere.

Based on that list, I should be looking at a sweep next year.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
NOBEL PEACE surPRISE . . .

At Spin Boldak Forward Operating Base (FOB) near the border with Pakistan, a couple welcomed the news with shock.

"For what?" one said, while another asked "What has he done?"

One soldier was unable to conceal his contempt.

"President Obama got the Nobel Prize and my ass is still sitting in Afghanistan. It's not fair," he said.

www.google.com...

I guess that US soldier is not ready yet to die for his country.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join