It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movement for fundamental change of voting system?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
This is skunkworks, which means the info I'm tossing out there is pretty low-quality and lacks verification.

I've been hearing chatter of a growing "movement" to try to change the very nature of voting at the state, local, and federal levels. Under the new scheme, each citizen would be assigned a certain number of "voting chits" that they could use in any way on the ballot they wanted. For example, if you really cared about who would be the mayor of your town more than the president of the nation, you could toss all your chits on that one name of the mayoral candidate and not vote for any of the others. Or visa-versa. Or you could split them up among different candidates, etc. Everyone would get at least enough chits to vote for one name in each category.

Here's the kicker, though...the amount of chits you'd receive would be based on a complex algorithm that would include your age, your income as stated on your income tax report, and your property value. The theory is that older, wealthier property owners have more at stake in the community than the plebes who scrub dishes and rent studio apartments, or are fresh out of high-school.

Perhaps more critically, CORPORATIONS (which are currently legally considered "persons," by the way) would ALSO get chits and be able to vote as individual "persons." Since their wealth is so much greater than that of most individuals, they would obviously be getting more chits.

I've heard that there are a number of "influential" business lobbyists trying to work behind the scenes to make this happen, very quietly. I really hope my beltway source on this is less reliable than he appears to be.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
What makes one person better than another ?

Why is your life or existence more precious than someone else's ?

One person, one vote is the ONLY democratic way.

new topics

join