It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US news media weigh in on Hey Hey skit

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

The entire Australian constitution really needs to be re-written it provides for no protection of citizens rights at all.
I would guess that this may have been the clause that allowed aboriginals to be so poorly treated in the past and for that treatment continue to day with the 'intervention' in the NT.

I seriously think that instead of trying to make various arrangements to "assist" immigrants and indigenous people we should treat anyone who is an Australian citizen in the exact same manner. That in itself would go a long way to helping heal the rift.
No more Abstudy or race specific housing projects that so many Australians view as biased and unfair, but a simple system that caters to any underpriveledge Australians equally. No more invading communities and taking children without evidence of abuse or maltreatment.
I think that this would also help instil a sense of pride and equality in aborigines and negate some of the "victimised" groups that are becoming increasingly popular.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Connick did the right thing, although I don't think that was even a Jackson 5 song. For all we know they were imitating aborigines.

In the end I really think this will only make Americans look like a bunch of whiners. It seems eyebrows the world over get raised every time someone, somewhere, blurts out the word "racist".
And it going to get worse.

If you really want to see a racist video, go to youtube and look up the video "Tokyo Breakfast".

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Australia doesn’t have the racism roots of African Americans. Yes, if this was on American TV it may have caused upset, but I don’t think it would have.

So how have the Aborigines been over the years since the British came in 1770 and how did they like the concept of a penal colony being there.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by justaman2009

That is what passes for comedy in Australia?

The audience could not care less about the people on stage.

I found it boring. And using such dark makeup did seem pretty racist.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ilandrah

no more invading communities and taking children well that does not happen these daysif it did in oz i havent seen it, lol thats history and yeh i guees we whites are paying for it ay it did happen and it should not off, just sick of hearing about it through all my life was not me nor my family or there family but we still paying

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   

[edit on 8-10-2009 by justaman2009]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

obviously you dont have a sence of humor,go watch white chicks then tell me if you do

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Well, we have the intervention in the Northern territory. Where Australian law should have sufficed to protect the people there new laws were drafted that applied specifically to aboriginals alone.
A UN delgate recently labelled the acts as racist as in order for aboriginal communites to receive housing grants they have to relinquish their lands to the government.
I realise that there were problems in some communities that needed to be addressed, but don't feel that specific laws targeting a group based on race is appropriate or necessary.
Really all Australians are still paying for what occured in the past. Aborigines are labelled bludgers, child molesters and drug users and the few who do commit crimes attempt to offer their race as a defense all too often.
It is these things in particular that would be erradicated if we were actually treated as being equal citizens of this country regardless of our racial or cultural roots.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by ilandrah]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   

you say Aboriginals are label bludgers and that whos saying that, no diffrent from white people labeled bludgers or are we labeled racist

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Hello from Australia
Im not racist
I hate everyone equally.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
anyways the media is to blame for all of this hi my name is well.. lets say just a man and this is my voice--- i was born into a racist socitey the media is making us belive that we, i am racist well I AM NOT

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   

I am certainly not labelling anyone racist - I think the term is bandied about much too often.
I am merely stating that racism does exist in Australia and as with so many other countries it is a problem that needs to be dealt with.
Not just aboriginals or immigrants, but ALL Australians need to be treated equally in the eyes of the law.
Having a set of laws and social security benefits for particular races or cultures breeds resentment and racism in my opinion.
When our government begins to treat us as a single nation, then it will become easier for all Australians to view each other in that light.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

i hear ya but i think its gunna take a long time for everyone to do this as the media every day pumps all this talk about this into peoples heads, its gunna have to start with them they the fuel and we the fire...

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Bring back the Goodies.

And the Three Minstrels!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
its funny people mention racism and everyone automatically assumes the people who did the skit were white

there was one white guy in the skit i think the world needs to lighten up if you were offended by this garbage i pity you because you obviously have very little to do with your life

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Demandred

i have a lot going in my life thanks and i am offended not because i think it was a racist act but how the media makes it out to be, and how our socitey is looked upon you should be to they the media is controling the way people think

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a least the had the balls to go on,lol they did the skit when they were like 10 so they thought they do it again while the show was back on,... shows how much our socitey has changed and the media

[edit on 9-10-2009 by justaman2009]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Those calling the act on Hey Hey 'Racist' are blinded by some strange brand of political correctness that has you condemning one and applauding another. I find it all rather strange!

Stop Your Whining!

IRM

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by justaman2009
reply to post by Demandred

i have a lot going in my life thanks and i am offended not because i think it was a racist act but how the media makes it out to be, and how our socitey is looked upon you should be to they the media is controling the way people think

i concede to your rationale and agree

its those who blindly follow the media and are outraged because they are told they should be outraged that i was taking a pot shot at

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
the world is pc mad- people look to find something to be offended by these days.

I agree- bring back the Goodies!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join