It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin : A deadly dog disease is spreading fast!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

A deadly dog disease is spreading fast in Fond du Lac. Dr. Mark Thompson, of the Country Hills Animal Clinic, says he's seeing an unusual number of leptospirosis cases. They're treating 10 dogs this month, normally they only see one or two cases a year. The highly contagious disease is scaring some owners. "I read it at seven o'clock and I called the vet at 8:10 a.m.," says Jamie Ringler. "Well we've got 3 dogs, so if one gets it, they're all going to get it," says Jamie's husband, Mark. Dr. Thompson says leptospirosis is easily spread dog to dog by touching saliva or urine. So far one dog has died and five others have been hopspitilized. "It can shut down the liver and kidney. But can also cause bleeding," says Dr. Thompson. He says it can also be treated and prevented. "Just practice good preventative care by keeping your dog away from other dogs at this point in time." A vaccine is also available. A choice the Ringlers are using to protect their 3 dogs. "They're our children, our babies. We want to make sure they're okay," says Jamie Ringler. The symptoms of the disease are drinking water more often, urinating more frequently, an upset stomach, or a loss of appetite. A blood test confirms if the dog has the disease.

Source

Leptospirosis is a disease of worldwide significance that infects both animals and humans. The scientific name of the infecting organism is Leptospira interrogans sensu lato. Within this species there are many different strains (serovars). Of these different strains there are eight that are of importance for dogs and cats. These different strains produce different levels and types of disease depending on the animals they infect. While cats can be infected, they rarely show signs of disease. The disease is much more of a problem in dogs, people, and livestock. There are vaccines available, but usually only for one or two of the more common strains. Unfortunately, vaccination against one strain does not protect against the other strains. The current canine vaccines protect against the serovars canicola and icterohaemorrhagiae. These two serovars have been decreasing in total number of infections, but unfortunately, other serovars that infect dogs such as grippotyphosa, pomona, and bratislava have increased.

Continued..

Not even our pets seem safe these days . humans can get it to

[edit on 8-10-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Thanks for posting. I'm not in Wisconsin, but it's good to know this kind of thing is out there.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Im in Australia, ill check out to see how widespread this is here,

Thanks for the heads up.

Id hate to see my best mate get this sickness.

join