It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bulk Dehydrated foods at Costco

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Glenn Beck actually mentioned this on the radio today. They have one year of food for one person at Costco for $799.00. There are many other lower priced options and it looks reasonable. I may jump on some of it. But I thought I should also share with everyone on here.

Costco Bulk Dehydrated Foods

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by on_yur_6

That is GREAT!

Star and Flag!

I will be checking this out on Saturday.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

there will be plenty of human meat to eat.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Fascinating, but expensive as hell.

Second line

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

$800.00 divided by 12 months does not equal "expensive as hell". We spend more than that every 6 weeks! We do not eat steaks either.

Thanks for the heads up, OP.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
great... guess where we will be going later this week....

for a year this is not bad at all....

saw some degyd in Wally world last night ... kinda surprosed me that it is in large containers.... we got some spuds, and milk in sealed containers..

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

I agree with you 100%.

The savings in the long run are apparent, but the initial cost is prohibitive.

That is if the food is sold only as a bundled package of 6 cans per package.
If the items were sold in individual containers and not packs, the prices would be roughly between $6 - $33 per can.
More affordable to the average Joe.
1-2-3 cans a week at payday, and you can stock up fast.

Buying the entire package is definitely more cost effective,
Something around $10 per can, but some people just don't have $800.00 available to spend at once.

Unfortunately, sometimes people have to live day to day in this kind of economy.

So yes, it is both cost effective as well as expensive.

Either way, I still mentioned my (fascination) with the OP and the subject matter.

[edit on 10/8/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

I see what you're saying. If you could just pay the $77.00+ dollars every month rather than what we normally pay to eat, it would be much more affordable but the entire year's cost while still paying our regular monthly grocery fee is too much at once.

*boy! rereading that it sounds like I made it more complicated than it needs to be*

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave

$800.00 divided by 12 months does not equal "expensive as hell". We spend more than that every 6 weeks! We do not eat steaks either.

Thanks for the heads up, OP.

Hi WW, hope all is well. At the rate that things are going down hill I'm starting to prepare even more. We have been isolated from a lot of this nonsense in Oklahoma but I'm starting to see it. We had to lay off 9 people in my organization recently and more will follow. The rest of the country is really hurting. Zero job creation but the stock market goes up. I think we are in for another big correction really soon.

So with all of that said I may buy one of the smaller sets first to give it a try.

If anyone else finds good deals on long storage food please post for others. It seems survivalists have gone mainstream now if Costco is catering to them.

OBTW WW, how's the flu where you are at? We are getting hammered here. My wife, daughter , and both of my sons have the flu. In fact we have been diagnosed with both swine and "a" strains. My wife has caught the flu twice. Amazingly I haven't caught the flu. And this has been going on for two weeks. My old man told me about vitamin D3 as soon as my oldest came down with the swine flu. I'm taking 10,000-12,000 units a day and so far no signs of the flu. Lot of info on the web about D3.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by on_yur_6]

[edit on 8-10-2009 by on_yur_6]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigspud

Disturbing to say the least. The dried strawberries sound like a better option for me and my family....

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
crap they are not available in Canada or on Costco.ca

I guess I'll need to find another way of getting them up here.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I don't know of any package deals on bulk food items but I've been nitro packing my own. It's easy and inexpensive.

When I find flour, beans, etc. on sale I buy a bunch, pour them in 5 gallon buckets, add a few bay leaves and toss in a chunk of dry ice. Voila! Nitro packed bulk foods.

Dried fruits are more expensive but I buy them fresh when they're on sale and dehydrate my own. Got a good deal on honey as well as stocked up on salt.

My local grocery store had a special on coffee a few months back. It was around $3.00 for a 4-5# can. I luuuuvv me some coffee and got 3 of the 5 gallon buckets worth.

The only thing I haven't found on sale or can do myself is dairy products for long term storage. Dehydrated whole eggs are harder to find than just the egg whites and are about $11.00 for a small can! Dehydrated cheese is just as expensive and it tastes like crap anyway.

Dried or powdered milk is readily available and fairly cheap. I've taken a real liking to those boxes of milk. They're supposed to have a shelf life of 6 months (mine don't last that long) and it tastes like regular milk. The boxes are small enough that kid size hands can pour it unlike gallon jugs of milk.

Something I've not seen with any of those 1 year supply of food family plans is a meal planner. What would be ideal is if when the suppliers say, "this amount of food will last 1 person 1 year" they would also include exactly how to divvie the rations up in meals so that after 6 months you're not left with 15 cans of dried turnips and no cans of flour.

There was a military wife years ago that wrote a book entitled "how to eat well on a dollar a day" (or something like that) and she had menu plans that detailed how it was possible to eat for a dollar a day. She was also the coupon queen of the military base where her husband was stationed.

Sorry to hear about your family being sick with flu. Vitamin D is fat soluble so be careful with it. I've heard people recommending to "mega dose" with vitamin D but that's just a bad idea. If you want to know how I managed when I had the flu, U2U me so we don't derail your thread topic. Best of luck to you and yours.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by whitewave]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigspud

now that was funny

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
When I lived in Germany with my family as a British soldier many years ago, we used to cooperate with half a dozen other families. We'd all put cash into a kitty - then every couple of weeks, one of us would travel to the Netherlands and buy provisions in bulk from a new hypermarket in Venlo. It saved us all quite a lot of money.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
S&F for you OP, it was nice of ya to bring this to peoples attention. Sadly even if I prepare for the times that are eventually going to hit us, the more I talk about it with my family, the crazier they think I am. I mean my father is on my side when it comes to 9/11 and such, but when I try and go further into things, he starts telling me off a bit and since I can't convince him, I can't convince anyone else in the rest of my family... in fact if I even tried to begin to tell them what's really going on in the world they just be too scared to even want to believe.

I actually got in an argument with my mother the other day because after explaining how she is a 'sheep' and a 'slave' to the government, she said she's fine with the life she lives so why question it? I tried telling her she doesn't realize how much of her rights have been taken away etc. but it's no use

I wish these survival packages came with a giant book explaining why you're going to need them... not so people would read them and understand more, but more because I could use those giant books to smack people over the head with who refuse to listen to the truth.

Either way, we need to stock up. It's not going to kill anyone to prepare, so we all should have each others backs when it comes to survival, especially here on ATS, and obviously in your personal lives with everyone around you.

Good luck to all, and for those of you who have the flu (swine flu or not) good luck to you all.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
This may look like a great deal, but after the first week of this dehydrated food your blood pressure will be really high and you will be pooping constipated bricks.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
&cm

Originally posted by on_yur_6
They have one year of food for one person at Costco for $799.00.

That statement is incorrect, you are providing us with disinformation, spreading lies, ignorance and terrorism. You have intentionally and wittingly put $799.00 price, instead of the ACTUAL price, which is not $799.00 but (prepare for a shock ladies and gentleman) $799.99. You just can't trust anyone lately....

Other than that, that food of yours is indeed cheap. But some of those cans are really big (50 servings), how long they last after you open them?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I dont think eating all that dried food will be good for you. Why would you want to buy it anyway? Fresh food tastes much better.

If you are buying this because you believe our food supply is going to be cut and you have a spare $800 you dont mind using then go for it. But if you are planning on living on this stuff for a year while the supermarkets are still open id advise you against it!

I personally dont believe our food supply is going to be cut, our leaders would starve half the planet before they let us starve. Its not a nice view point but if we starve we cant pay taxes, so they would rather target easy countries and use there resources.

I do however believe that the reason we are having a "food crisis" is due too over population and our governments need to take steps to stop this from happening.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I know that I could never come up with that much at once.... so as an alternative to folks who cannot, you can try doing what I have done over the past couple of years. Each time I go to the grocery store for the big shopping trips, I pick up extra canned goods. Over time I have managed to get a good supply of food going. Hope this helps.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by paranoiaFTW
This may look like a great deal, but after the first week of this dehydrated food your blood pressure will be really high and you will be pooping constipated bricks.

The idea is to rehydrate the food before consuming it. If you do not comprehend this simple survival fact, I feel sorry for you and your family if things get bad.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join