It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When did the U.S. stop being a "Christian Nation?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
In God We Trust is on all our currency. Invocations at major sporting events. Prayers at military funerals. ETC ETC.
What kind of nation are we if not Christian? I ask this because of the email I received earlier today.
SEE BELOW

This is a message from a friend who attended all the White House Christmas parties during both Bush years. This is a personal message to me and not a "scare tactic from unknowns on the internet". Pretty much confirms what I had suspected all along.

We have a friend at church who is a very talented artist. For several years she, among many others, has painted ornaments to be hung on the various White House Christmas trees. The WH sends out an invitation to send an ornament and informs the artists of the theme for the year.

She got her letter from the WH recently. It said that they would not be called Christmas trees this year. They will be called Holiday trees. And, to please not send any ornaments painted with a religious theme.

She was very upset at this development and sent back a reply telling them that she painted the ornaments for Christmas trees and would not be sending any for display that left Christ out of Christmas.

Just thought you should know what the new residents in the WH plan for the future of America. If you missed his statement that "we do not consider ourselves a Christian Nation" this should confirm that he plans to take us away from our religious foundation.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I quit being a 'Christian' when I started to think for myself intstead of believing what im told

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
It's mohammedmas now.

2nd line.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I'm glad we aren't...why shouldn't we represent equally? I think the Christian Nation should have ended ages ago when we decided to be free and equl (yet not equal if you aren't Christian)

We have Jews, Muslims, Islamists, Bhuddists, Pagans, Atheists, Agnostics, Catholics...the list keeps on going. What gives one group the power to be better than the rest?

Think about this...what would you do if Wicca was the majority? What if a Jew took office? What if Christianity suddenly dropped to 5th in the list of religions in the US?

What would you say then? If Wicca was number one would you be saying we shouldn't be a Wiccan nation?

Maybe it's just me but I think it is high time we stop recognizing each other by our differences and stop using so many damn labels and stop putting one group above another

-Kyo

[edit on 8-10-2009 by KyoZero]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I'm not a Christian, I strongly disagree with their Gods love of war and killing. That being said...

The US is a Christian nation, 80 percent last time I checked and in my opinion the majority SHOULD rule.

Christmas is an important time of year for their religion as well as their children. It's petty and childish to demand the name be changed.

This government is willing to carry out the popular Christian opinion that Iran's woman and children need to be decimated, yet they take away prayer in school and now Christmas. Like I said, petty and childish. You can't have it both ways.
Someone needs to get a clue.

It's not a holiday tree it's a Christmas tree.
S&F

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Wasn't the whole point of America to ensconce the separation of church and state?

Does that not imply that America is, by design, NOT a Christian country?

Because, technically, it certainly isn't. There are very few theocracies left in the world these days and most of them harbour terrorists hell-bent on destroying America.

And in reality, it can't be. America is a melting pot. It's an experiment in democracy where people have the right to freedom of thought and speech and are not held back by caste, creed, or color. Whether or not the experiment is succeeding or failing is a matter of opinion, but if you accept the above statement then you simply can't call America anything as broad as 'Christian'. It's set up to prevent that sort of thing, in other words.

But in terms of human spirit, I would argue that America is very much a Christian nation when it strives to be a land where people can live free of oppression and treat each other as equals in the spirit of freedom. Religion aside, this is exactly the sort of place I would see the Jesus of the Bible wanting us all to live.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
so...and I am dead serious here

what if tomorrw youwoe up to a ewih majority of 80%? Would a Christians still argue that the majority rules?

-Kyo

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

In answer to your direct question "What if the country were 80 percent Jewish?"

If that were the case then I would hope that the government went along with the wishes of that 80 percent.

I have many Jewish friends and they're beautiful people. The Government is "supposed" to work for the people. I would hope if the population became 80 percent Jewish tomorrow, that they would be the bigger man and leave the name of the tree a Christmas tree since that's what it's been called for decades and referred to in many Christians children's books and so on.

Like I said, I DON'T agree with the Christian's love of war and want for control over my life, but changing the name of a tree they feel so strongly about would make me no better than them.

Originally posted by KyoZero
(yet not equal if you aren't Christian)

We have Jews, Muslims, Islamists, Bhuddists, Pagans, Atheists, Agnostics, Catholics...the list keeps on going. What gives one group the power to be better than the rest?

What would you say then? If Wicca was number one would you be saying we shouldn't be a Wiccan nation?

I don't believe Christianity IS any better than the rest. I believe everyone should celebrate how ever they see fit and there's beauty in all. What about a mixture of all? Why not see a little of everyone's culture at Christmas?

If Wicca were the dominant religion in the US then I would feel the same as I stated above, but I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Probably no but I wanted to gage how you really felt...well said

-Kyo

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ImplausibleDeniability

LOL, someone should read the Federalist Papers.

You'll find that your opinion varies substantially with the founding fathers. They plainly wrote their Constitution was to keep the State out of the Church, not vice versa.

The "Seperation of Church and State" hoax

[edit on 8-10-2009 by NOTurTypical]

top topics

join