It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The fining of an Ontario truck driver for smoking in his rig

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Honestly this makes me sick to my stomach.

The fining of an Ontario truck driver for smoking in his rig has sparked questions about discrepancies between provincial and federal smoking laws, and what steps law officials must take in enforcing them.

Essex County Ontario Provincial Police pulled over a truck on Highway 401 near Windsor at about noon on Wednesday after the 48-year-old driver was seen smoking.

Cant wait to here the justification from people who seem to think there is no problem with this. And yes I know you are out there.
www.cbc.ca...

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
HE was smoking in

HIS RIG

How is that anyone else's business? Does he own the rig? If not, then perhaps it could be an issue. But it is

HIS RIG

I don't see why this would be an issue.

So he's smoking in

HIS RIG

in

HIS PERSONAL SPACE

.. how does that effect anyone else??? What about the exhaust and pollution his rig is causing??? Is that better for everyone??? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freaking people who can't just mind their own damn business

I work in the transportation industry (well sort of, I work for a U.S. customs broker but we have many transportation contacts) and I'll tell you what.. the things they do just to get some cargo from A to B just so some guy in an office can make a buck... they should be left alone!

[edit on 8-10-2009 by ItIsWhatItIs]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
What the gov't says is that it's his "workplace" and smoking in the workplace is banned. Stupid I know but that's their reasoning.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
If he was driving sure, but was he traveling?
Legalese.....
I forget the post....

I hate smoking as much as the next, but gimme a break.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
im starting to see a new trend forming...

CONVERTIBLE TRUCKS!

its a stylish and sophisticated way to cruise the roads and smoke all you like

seriously though, what the crap are they thinking?

taking cigarettes away from truckers?

you might as well deny them meth and shady strip clubs on obscure exits too.

they will be the first to snap.

have any of you ever really been involved with a trucking industry or listened to a CB radio in a busy area?

i dont even want to go into, but seriously, these guys are really crazy. crazier than the guy in my sig

edit: only way i could see justification for this is if he was hauling combustible materials, or something like that.

maybe if it was a rental and he got the non-smoking truck? i dont know...

[edit on 10/8/2009 by mahtoosacks]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Well this beats all things. I mean, if he had been seen say flicking the lit butt out of the window, or he was hauling something very flamable, then yeah I would say stop him, but if he was not doing either, then I would say they over stepped a bit. Sides if they are going to do that, can we ban the cops from having a donut or coffee while on duty?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
This is what the police are busy with when they aren't tazing little old ladies and crippled people.

Giving this guy a ticket for smoking in HIS rig isn't protecting me or you from anything.

S&F

[edit on 8-10-2009 by Sundancer]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This is just one pathetic effort to criminalize everyone and everything. Make everything a crime and you can control anyone. Makes perfect sense to me. My only question is why do we keep puttiing up with it?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
What the gov't says is that it's his "workplace" and smoking in the workplace is banned. Stupid I know but that's their reasoning.

So what about the folks that work out of their homes? Same deal?

Sounds like a cop with a quota...or more to the story than meets the eye.

I'd like to see how it plays out in court, 'cuz I'd sure as hell fight it!!

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Hello all,

OK if I were you I would not for a second find this shocking, if i were you I would start following the law to the T in a super paranoid manner.

In the past Cops used to fine to meet their quota sure but those days are long gone. Now they will be giving out tickets and fining over anything they possibly can not so much to meet their quota but rather to keep their job.

If the police department don't make money off of you by fleasing you literally like a sheep they will be unemployed. So start driving at the actual speed limit or at least slower than anyone else on the road. Don't get caught doing any frivolous stupid law that people in their stupidity and asked for or at least opened the door for.

Cops soon are going to start lying fining for crap you did not even do knowing that taking time to go to Cort is a lot harder than just paying sometimes.

Keep your head low and eyes open at least until Cops in the US start taking bribes like they do in Mexico.

TA!!

Izzy.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by Izarith]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
*makes obscene faces, cocks an eyebrow and takes a drag*

Really I wonder how truckers in the prarie provinces would react to a police constable asking them to put out their cigarette.

For one I'm pretty sure that most independent truckers carry some sort of weapon for self defensive purposes (i.e. shotgun) to fend off petty thieves or egotistical, self condescending law enforcement officers who will bully the driver into thinking he's some sort of criminal.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
This does not suprise me in the least. It was something I remember hearing they were going to try and pull here in the US but the health department would be the one who was supposed to "enforce" it not the police, hence it never really stuck.

I can understand having a "no smoking" in the workplace rule IF there are numerous people in the workplace. But if it's a lone trucker or even a team then I don't think anyone has any business telling them they can't smoke in their truck (assuming it belongs to them and it isn't company policy).

With regards to cops writing tickets because they know chances are you won't fight it. TOO TRUE! Especially when it comes to truck drivers. Chances are the trucker will be on the other side of the country when the court date rolls around and wouldn't be able to make it anyway. This is why there are "legal services" that drivers can pay for that will have a lawyer go to court for you to fight "moving violations". Moving violations go on our DAC reports. 3 or more and most companies won't hire you or will fire you.

And about cops writing tickets for made up stuff. They do that already. My fiance was driving in Texas. Heard on the CB that there was a bear on the shoulder so he got over a lane. (It's the law in most states if there is an emergency vehicle parked on the shoulder you must slow down or get over.) Anyway, my fiance simply waved to the cop as he drove by. Don't you know the cop came after him and pulled him over. Walks up the right side of the rig and knocks on the passenger door. My Fiance unfastens his seat belt and climbs on the other side to open the door. Officer Butt pops his head up over the seat and says "You don't have your seat belt on!" and proceeds to give him a ticket for it. In the process of the ticket writing Officer Butt is asking a million questions (over and over) and my Fiance is attempting to remain polite. Officer Butt even insinuated that my Fiance dumped his last GF for me (I was trying to sleep in the bunk as we run team) and my Fiance politely told him ... "No, my last girlfriend passed away a couple of years ago." Like it was any of his dang business anyway.

So yes, this does NOT suprise me. Cops DO right tickets knowing you'll pay instead of going to court. And Cops DO make up reasons to write said tickets.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Big Tobacco is evil.
Smoking is going to kill everybody
Smoking is wrong
The federal government would like to inform you that smoking is now confined to the individual's home only if they live alone or with another smoker. Society will be better without seeing you nicotine fiends trying to publicly get your fix.

join