It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The class war being waged in BC.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Class war ongoing in British Columbia

As some of you might know, I've rather been waving the flag of the trend towards enforced serfdom in the Province in which I reside. This is an article from the Tyee, an independent publication here in BC that gives a good overview of exactly how corrupt the system has become.

I know the threads here often focus on the US side of things, but its getting pretty rough here in the great white north too, believe you me. Vancouver alone has the highest rate of homeless in the entire country. If you took a walk through the DTES every day on your way to work, you would understand just how rotten the TPTB in the BC and municiple governments really are.

It has gotten so bad that we recently had an MLA here point out in our version of congress, that it is really nothing more than a side-show attraction to keep people's attention from the deals being brokered with the premiers and their advisers, but that is a tale for another thread.

Edit: I particularly recommend reading the comments on that article, they raise some very insightful points regarding the societal breakdown that we are experiencing globally, which after all is the purpose of this particular section of ATS.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by D.E.M.]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
2 flags and no replies yet? Surely someone has some interesting commentary on a situation every bit as dire as that down south. 8 Years ago British Columbia was the best place to live in Canada, it had a stellar social welfare system and truly cared for its citizens.

Now it is 30 billion in debt and the only provincial corporation remaining is BC Hydro, the others having been sold to US interests. We have the lowest standard of living in the country with the highest living costs, and womens rights are almost non-existent. We had our Premiers offices raided for evidence of corruption but never saw anything come of it, even though he's been proven to have given massive handouts to corporate buddies. As mentioned in the article, the only thing the HST will benefit will be corporate interests.

Not even touching on the fact that all 3 political parties in the country are essentially the same, with only slightly different facades presented. They all represent corporate interests above the interests of the population, they all vote themselves the same things no matter how much they "argue" against them (Case in point: the NDP accepting a ludicrous pay raise in BC not even 6 months after hanging the Liberals out to dry for even suggesting it).

I mean, I know Canada is viewed as some sort of perfected Nirvana by Americans, but we certainly aren't holding up well right now. We honestly just as messed, we just live in a culture of happy censorship where no one talks about the problems. 2 flags and no insightful comments?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

Nothing insightful from me im sorry to say, But i too live in BC not old enough to have to deal with much government bull#, only 17.. But i hear about it through the long line of friends lol.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
This is one of the major reasons I moved from BC to Alberta. I love BC, but the economy and all the junk that comes with it makes it VERY hard to live there. Unless you're one of the rich, there's a fine line between middle class and poor.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
thanks for the heads up, i live in alberta and always wondered what was wrong with bc, this answers a lot of questions

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Good Evening,
I also live in BC. I run a business, and so far things have been pretty good. I lived in Alberta for 25 years, and other parts of Canada before that. Alberta is fast becoming a statsi state. The first signs you see as you enter Alberta are: Check stop community, Seat belt laws enforced, What have you got to lose (drunk driving warning) and Speed laws photo enforced. (and they really mean it.)

Since my move here, (moved to the island) I have found the cost of living to be comparable to that of Alberta, the weather far far better, and my business has improved sales by 30 ish percent. My kids can walk to school, very little crime and generally a better overall feeling of well being.

Now, let me clarify; I live on the island. The mainland is kinda like a very busy hell. Lots of unemployment, and stupidly busy. Crime is becoming insane over there and don't visit Delta unless....well..just don't visit Delta.

It's true about the politicians, but I ignore them as much as I can, TV is propaganda as is the newspapers, who don't even try to hide that they are a government shill.

For me, BC has been a very good investment in time and effort. But I came here expecting to spend more and to have to have an income before I got here. For most it is quickly becoming a place to be from rather than live in. That part kind of bums me out, because BC is truly one of Canada's treasures, its a shame that so many just won't be able to afford to enjoy it.

..Ex

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Man, sounds a lot like the US which is a shame because here I was planning on jumping this sinking ship called America and head for freer Canadian pastures, but its looking like Canada's freedom streak is switching gears

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
A goodly portion of the homeless in Vancouver are from other parts of the country.

They come here 'cause it's rather temperate compared to the other provinces.

In fact, Alberta, under Klein, gave their homeless a one way ticket to BC so our tax base has to try to support these people.

So let's try to not blame it all on the BC government. They're not exactly getting any support from the other provinces for a country-wide problem.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by juniperberry

Realistically, the vast majority of Vancouvers homeless came from the numerous Provincial asylums that were shuttered in the 80's and 90's. Riverview alone held a population of over 2000 patients that were quite literally turned onto the streets when it closed.

But the real problem lies in the continued pogrom of the government against the lower and middle classes. I, personally, watched my family go from being middle class to almost homeless in the past 8 years thanks to the numerous cuts that Cambells liberals have instituted to the social structure of the province.

It's easy to blame the other provinces for the homeless situation, but our provincial government is a 3 ring circus that at the end of the day is only looking out for itself and its corporate backers.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I have noticed despite our abundance of.. everything.. it is virtually impossible to get housing in the major cities now. 1 person shoe box apartment 200,000.. family house 300,000+

your post makes a lot of sense, if you have any more information of this subject can you please elaborate

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I may be off track, but maybe not....NAU anyone else?

There is a concerted effort to entirely humble the majority of
voters in the middle class...Canada, The United States, Mexico.

I have seen it, felt it, heard it...now I know it to be true.

Conspiracy, or policy...one way or another thier gonna get ya...

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.
8 Years ago British Columbia was the best place to live in Canada, it had a stellar social welfare system and truly cared for its citizens.

Now it is 30 billion in debt....

I'm very curious if you believe or suspect a correlation between those two sentences. I know you, also, mentioned the corruption and understand that to be a problem, too.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover

Originally posted by D.E.M.
8 Years ago British Columbia was the best place to live in Canada, it had a stellar social welfare system and truly cared for its citizens.

Now it is 30 billion in debt....

I'm very curious if you believe or suspect a correlation between those two sentences. I know you, also, mentioned the corruption and understand that to be a problem, too.

Well Good old USA capitalism can't say much a?

Or would you like to post the US national debt in numbers, with comma's?

top topics

join