It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American troops in Afghanistan losing heart, say army chaplains

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
www.timesonline.co.uk...

American soldiers serving in Afghanistan are depressed and deeply disillusioned, according to the chaplains of two US battalions that have spent nine months on the front line in the war against the Taleban.

Many feel that they are risking their lives — and that colleagues have died — for a futile mission and an Afghan population that does nothing to help them, the chaplains told The Times in their makeshift chapel on this fortress-like base in a dusty, brown valley southwest of Kabul.

“The many soldiers who come to see us have a sense of futility and anger about being here. They are really in a state of depression and despair and just want to get back to their families,” said Captain Jeff Masengale, of the 10th Mountain Division’s 2-87 Infantry Battalion.

“They feel they are risking their lives for progress that’s hard to discern,” said Captain Sam Rico, of the Division’s 4-25 Field Artillery Battalion. “They are tired, strained, confused and just want to get through.” The chaplains said that they were speaking out because the men could not.

This has to be expected as the corrupt govt. now doesn't have legitimacy. How can our troops fight to support a corrupt govt. when its army is as useless? I think the British army were a bit better at winning hearts and minds in Afghan, but Brown isn't a war PM - he wouldn't increase troop numbers. And the American's have more tanks, choppers etc.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by john124]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

Didn't we hear these same type of stories coming from Chaplins
stationed in Iraq for several years? Maybe depression is an
emotional constant that carries across all wars.

Since the men and women in today's military are all volunteers,
you have to wonder what they thought they were getting into when
they signed on the dotted line. Perhaps the action-packed TV
commercials for the Army is what they were expecting.
-cwm

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

you have to wonder what they thought they were getting into when they signed on the dotted line.

I've heard many say they thought they signed up to fight for THEIR country and their freedom but realized once they were boots on the ground that wasn't who or what they were fighting for.

S&F for the Op.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by Sundancer]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

I think it is more because they aren't allowed to win, and have a clueless commander in chief who has never served, who would rather follow the advise of civilians who have never served, than commanders in the field.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
No progress, getting behind, Bin Laden said to be no longer there, no US threat.

While they may have enlisted to fight for what they thought was a cause, anything resembling a cause had long since disappeared.

Tired, disillusioned, abandoned by their government to fight a fight against a group supposed to have aided the government named real perpetrators yet allowing them to escape.

They are stuck there until recalled and don't know what the heck they are fighting for.

No threats to US soil is coming from Afghanistan.

These men will live with nightmares and possibly guilt the rest of their lives just so our gov. elite can make money from a war.

Just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
what's scary to me is all these young guys with PTSD, depression, anxiety, anger, etc. coming back and being absorbed into society. How many will enter Law Enforcement careers? How many will turn to crime? Turn to murder out of despair and frustration? Many will come back as ticking time bombs. Our society is terrible at dealing with mental health already......add several thousands of troops and the system will most definitely be overwhelmed and many will fall through the cracks like Vietnam vets. War is a racket. It's disgusting what's happening over there and how it's affecting our country.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I'm sure depression is a normal occurrence for those with a mind to think.

Stop-Loss has almost changed the face of the 'volunteer' forces to those of slaves. You either fight, and hope that someday you come home, or you get disgraced, imprisoned, or dead.

The term 'volunteer' sort of loses it's meaning in today's military.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
I'm sure depression is a normal occurrence for those with a mind to think.

Stop-Loss has almost changed the face of the 'volunteer' forces to those of slaves. You either fight, and hope that someday you come home, or you get disgraced, imprisoned, or dead.

The term 'volunteer' sort of loses it's meaning in today's military.

That is true and sad.

I think how it could have been me. I was gungho to join after 9/11 but an existing medical condition disqualified me.

If I knew how the war was going to be administered I never would have thought to consider joining.

I wish them the best.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sundancer

In the old WWII movies, the U.S. is always liberating one country or
another from the Nazi's. It seems that liberating other countries is
what we do in every war? If we can kill a few bad guys who want to
attack the United States while we're liberating people in other countries,
so much the better.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by carewemust
reply to post by Sundancer

In the old WWII movies, the U.S. is always liberating one country or
another from the Nazi's. It seems that liberating other countries is
what we do in every war? If we can kill a few bad guys who want to
attack the United States while we're liberating people in other countries,
so much the better.

Brilliant.

I guess it doesn't matter how many thousands of Americans lose their lives. Or how many thousands more are mentally scarred by their experiences. Or how many thousands of families are destroyed by our senseless occupation.

After all, we do it in the movies, right?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

If you don't enlist, you can't be sent into harm's way by our government.
You can stay home in your neighborhood and take your chances there.
On second thought, Afghanistan is probably safer than some US neighbor
hoods.

top topics

join