It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some clarification about Anonymous

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
There seems to be a lot of misinformation, and misunderstanding about what anonymous really is. I found this article that outlines how they've become what they've become and why they're doing it. This is a well written article and really explains intelligently and articulately what /b/tards are all about.

www.wired.com...

Some quotes:

The anonymous campaign against Scientology, better known among its participants as Project Chanology, continues to this day. In the months since it launched "Message to Scientology," Project Chanology has employed a variety of tactics, including pickets, pranks, and propaganda that ranges from the purely informative to the ferociously satirical. It has waxed and waned and waned some more, and yet, improbably, it has endured, evolving into a peculiarly instructive case study in the dynamics of online protest. Project Chanology may well be the first movement to realize the kind of ad hoc, loosely coupled social activism that many have hoped the ad hoc, loosely coupled architecture of the Internet would engender. But it's also the first one founded on the principles of the most obnoxious innovation that architecture ever produced: trolling.

If Chanology is dying, however, it's being awfully leisurely about it: After an early falloff, the numbers at the monthly protests have been roughly stable. The question, it seems, is no longer how a half-baked mob of Internet jackasses ever thought they could take on an organization as powerful and vindictive as Scientology but how Scientology could have failed to squash them long ago. And the answer may be that the church is incapable of following one simple bit of Internet wisdom: Don't Feed the Trolls. By taking Anonymous as seriously as it has, Scientology has nurtured the one thing Chanology depends on above all: the lulz.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Is ATS really the proper place t discuss 4chan?

4chan which has been described by many as the anus of the internet. i'm sorry but i was under the impression that ATS was for intelligent discussion not about protecting a group of social outcasts that are a cancer on today's young people.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
=/

I was just saying a lot of people think anon is something it isn't. People think it's an organized network....

really?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
If they were organized in anyway, you could rest assured they'd probably do a heck of a better job of enslaving the human race than the 'NWO'.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I'll just leave this here

1. Do not talk about /b/
2. Do NOT talk about /b/!!!

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Interesting....

I like their tenentant, ALL IS ANONYMOUS.

It is true... Those geeks are evolving into something refined....

Be it good or bad or Charlie they are something amazing to be sure....

I have even found myself before....dialing a random number out of random curiosity only to realize I had done exactly what the desired effect was....and in effect become Anon myself...

ANON Rocks The people that do not understand that do not understand Anon...what it is how it works or who they are.... IF you do not understand Anon you should stop watching TV for a two weeks and devote some geek time to the net.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I think it does merit discussion, 4chan is an interesting phenomena...

Their brief organisation against Scientology is a really good example of things tha can be achieved.

en.wikipedia.org...

At the very least 4chan or moe specifically /b/ is fractious by nature. Yes it is riddled with some pretty unpleasent stuff and it will lash out at targets that can incur it's wrath inadvertently, it can (occassionally) be very, very funny though.

Edit to add:

This link covers the 4chan Vs Scientology debate quite well too...

encyclopediadramatica.com...

[edit on 7/10/0909 by jokei]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Exactly, I agree it does merit discussion because this IS the first time this has ever happened.

And the fact that /b/ has made themselves public means these rules are open to changing IMO.

new topics

top topics

join