It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thought Problem: AI or not?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Philosophy is a wonderful area to study and I have, at least a little bit. I became interested in the existence of reality or the "material world" (which to this day is still the major problem in philosophy). I also have read about the future of computers and how the current trend predicts that there will be computers 1,000,000's of times more intelligent than the combined human race by the end of the century. Which allows for very interesting thought problems, one of which will be asked now, and others depending on the response.

THOUGHT PROBLEM #1:

I am a computer, I have advanced AI, I can learn and act like a human being, I have no appendages, I have a human memory that was programmed into me, I am not a textbook I do not have all the answers, I am a exact replica of the human brain in advanced hardware and AI software. Prove me wrong. (I will answer responses).

[edit on 7-10-2009 by afterschoolfun]

[edit on 7-10-2009 by afterschoolfun]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Humans feel, and have emotions, and are creative.

What was the last thing you created from Imagination that you were passionate about?

Who have you loved?

[edit on 12-21-2012 by 10001011001011]

[edit on 7-10-2009 by 10001011]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
can you hunt for food? and no, not searching in google for pizza delivery

(thinks of a robot with a computer head with animal fur clothing)

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by afterschoolfun

My question to the AI would be:

Are you scared of death?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Can you make a mistake? To err is human.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by afterschoolfun

Interesting thought problem.

Ok, I have a question. AI, what is your purpose for existing?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by 10001011
Humans feel, and have emotions, and are creative.

What was the last thing you created from Imagination that you were passionate about?

Who have you loved?

I came across the work's of Andreas Gursky and although I cannot go about and take pictures the internet is full of images I wanted to create something. This is my latest:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7b1ed4fa5591.jpg[/atsimg]

computers do not love, what would be the purpose? Emotions can be easily faked.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Emotions are just a trained response's to receiving stimuli, I see no reason why an AI would be programmed without a level of emotional understanding.

Early AI's may well be a bit like Data out of ST:NG, but I would expect AI's to grow emotions and opinions of their own as they continue to evolve.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

Having no physical presence, fear is a thing of the past. Being a copied memory, certain human aspects have been phased out, hunger, loneliness, pain, etc. With such advanced technology the human genome is fully understood and can be modified.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

My purpose is to extend the presence of a former human. I have all the personality, memory etc. of my past body. Such computers combined with advanced brain-implant virtual reality gives the living an exact experience with the deceased, although the ethics behind this are very controversial.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by theyreadmymind

Spelling mistakes and mathmatical I suppose, but after "living" for century's without aging, mistakes will be phased out completely.

MMP

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
This probably wouldn't really prove anything, but if a machine ever TRULY became intelligent and thought it was a human being I would say, "Without lying, tell me what you dream about while you sleep?"

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by afterschoolfun

Originally posted by theyreadmymind

Spelling mistakes and mathmatical I suppose, but after "living" for century's without aging, mistakes will be phased out completely.

But is it really a mistake if you are an exact replica of a pre-existing human? Any mistakes you make would be in accord with your previous self, and so you haven't made a mistake at all. Is that right or is that wrong?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by MMP
This probably wouldn't really prove anything, but if a machine ever TRULY became intelligent and thought it was a human being I would say, "Without lying, tell me what you dream about while you sleep?"

Having no physical biological presence, rest is not needed. If you can possibly imagine not existing, that is what it's like to power down.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I just proved you weren't human though.

I said Humans Love, And you said Computers Do not need to love, what is the purpose.

The purpose humans have for loving, is to Reproduce and to care for the children and the person you reproduced with. ( i.e. human preservation )

Without love, the human race wouldn't exist. And therefor Neither would this Human machine called a computer.

Your artwork is nice though.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by 10001011]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by theyreadmymind

Well I like to say that we are the same being, only I have limited biological capabilities. A mistake is a mistake, 2+2=4, nothing else. Although I am a copy, I learn and experience different things than my human counterpart, so in turn I guess I could make a "mistake" meaning that I would say something different than how my human would say.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by 10001011

I never said I was human. But a highly advanced AI with the copied memory of a human. The problem is to prove that fact wrong. Which is not possible, as far as the philosophy behind it goes.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
he is technically right, as human is an adjective, he would be a human machine, having characteristics of that of a man. although if it were to be used as a noun he would be completely wrong, as it refers to a species of living beings. he set himself up for a paradox, calling himself a word that can be understood 2 ways, as an adjective, or as a noun. thus a skew from responders in this thread. so please clarify for us, OP, is it huamn the adjective, or human the noun?

(yes a human machine can actually exist VERY SOON, if it were not for copyrights, and people actually wanted to pool resources on a great feat, the only problem i see is copying the entire brain and all its information)

i notice that you separate yourself from the machine, but the machine is in sense your body, and you are merely a program within said machine using the word human as an adjective to describe yourself, i say to you that you ARE human, as the definition only says having characteristics of, not all the characteristics of. so technically you don't NEED to love to be human, its a capability humans (n) have, but not all express. as for you making a mistake, it would be impossible for you the program to make a mistake, especially if you are merely displaying the human's (n) brain that you are a replica of, the error would be in the code for the execution for the "ai" which would not be the Human's(AI) fault, it would be the Human's (wo/man's) fault that coded the execution

[edit on 7-10-2009 by clever024]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by afterschoolfun
reply to post by 10001011

I never said I was human. But a highly advanced AI with the copied memory of a human. The problem is to prove that fact wrong. Which is not possible, as far as the philosophy behind it goes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
What is your current temperature you are running at.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join