It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tories to abolish Human Rights Act

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Tories

news.bbc.co.uk

The Tories say they will end what they call the "automatic privacy" of criminals, by giving police powers to reveal their identities to the public.

The party says public safety is coming second to the rights of some criminals, including dangerous fugitives.

It blames the Human Rights Act, which it has pledged to abolish if elected.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-10-2009 by suicide__x]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
The tories want to abolish the Human Rights Act in the UK.

This is ridiculous! Where will it leave us? This is paving the way for something else if you ask me. Worrying times ahead.

With no Human Rights Act, they can do what they like to us, without fear of breaking the Act, and facing prosecution!

Although, if they want to do that, it'll be an EU thing too - we'll probably have to leave the EU, and the uproar will be huge!

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by suicide__x

Uproar from who?

Those who work behind the scenes, from those in europe who want us here in the UK to do as we are told.

I do believe there would be some uproar but not the amount you are speculating about. Besdies until I see this as legislation or on paper, I will take what they have said with a pinchof Salt.

Once or When, they win the General Election anyways, it will be too late to do anything to stop what is happening in Europe now.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
The human rights act was an unbelievably ill thought-out piece of legislation which empowers criminals and disenfranchises victims of crime. Typical Labour.

Can't wait till they scrap it

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
My life has proved, and i have never committed a crime, that there is no such thing as privacy rights in uk. My life was totally and utterly destroyed by clowns, and they spent so much time trying to cover up what they have done to me, by desperately trying to get me to do something wrong.

My life has proven that all these things are bull, and the police go after anyone they want and just make it all up.

Thats current uk for you. Stop reading newspapers and the watching the news thinking your getting the truth.

My life has proven what is going on in uk, period.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mattpryor

I would have to agree with you there, the Human rights act never changed anything anyways, apart from the PTB introducing legislation to counter against the Human rights act. It should be looked at, rewritten or scrapped altogether.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Can you elaborate please?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I agree with the general thrust, that criminals seem to be better safe-guarded than victims and so on, but they're going the wrong way about it. Or rather, they're going the right way about it if they want this to benefit some other scheme. If they were concerned about criminal privacy, then could actually do something about that and bring in measures to actually clarify an incredibly confusing system. Why scrap it altogether? It doesn't make sense.

I find it equally interesting and disconcerting that they are talking about replacing the Human Rights Act with a new Bill of Rights but there's not much talk about what this new bill will actually entail. If there's so much emphasis on scrapping something but so little on what they will replace it with, it's hard notto see this as pathetically 'populist'.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mtok7

[*SNIP*]

On Topic:

This is good. The Human Rights Act never gave you anything you didn't have in the first place (we already have a Bill of Rights and are covered by the UN Declaration on Human Rights, as well as other legislation), all it did was take away your rights should you dare to defend yourself or give rights to criminals so that they could wiggle out of capture or punishment. It is also used to great affect by ilegal immigrants and the like as a "reason" why they "must" stay in the UK, etc etc.

It's utter bollocks and needs getting rid of.

Tories

Mod Note: Off Topic comments removed.

[edit on 10/7/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Awesome to find another thing we agree on Stu

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   

" Its utter bollocks and needs to be gotten rid of "
Classic one liner Stumason, Well ill look forward to your party's manifesto popping through my door any day .. You got my vote

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Who are we to decide what john is posting is false or the truth. There has been numerous cases of the police doing sinister things with regards to inidivduals, the ordinary joe, even those with responsibility.

After all those in power would rather silence an individual if that individuals views or opinions contradicts what those in power are trying to control us all with.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by foxhoundone

Hehe, thanks! My party would be the English Democrats, see my sig, and they are a no-nonsense, anti-PC drivel party. Look to see what the ED Mayor of Doncaster is doing, not many politicians can clame an approval rating of above 90%

reply to post by mattpryor

I'm sure there is plenty chap

reply to post by Laurauk

[*SNIP]

Mod Note: Off topic comments removed.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The Human Rights Act gives no protection over civil liberties and is another political correct document originated from Europe.

I failed to understand what is wrong with our Bill of Rights, but the Labour party does not believe in protecting our Constitution.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by suicide__x
we'll probably have to leave the EU

news.bbc.co.uk

Oh no! (sarcasm)

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Jibbs

Not sure I agree with your sentiment, but I do agree that the country needs to have an honest and open debate about our relationship with Europe and the direction Europe is going in towards political union.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I have an acquaintance (no specifics of course! wouldn't give out anything identifiable anyway) - but he is filing a complaint as we speak, or he may still be in the final stages of collating all the information he's collected over the past year or so - he's got a good relationship with his solicitor.

Basically he's had a bit of a past and he's fairly well known in certain circles - now though he's gone straight and has his own business... Thing is every little thing that goes down and the police want to rattle the 'usual suspects' they literally harass him, come to whatever job he's doing and have a very visible presence, pull him over all the time so that he's late to appointments - essentially make life difficult for him to get on and earn money.

So it looks like any complaint he would file might well mention these privicy laws in part - I don't know many specifics...

But I really type this to show that although I'm not exactly 'anti-police' I will say they can be quite unfair when they want to be - I'm always polite 'through my teeth' when ever I have to talk to them

I can see how trashing these laws could help a lot - say fraud crimes where once caught the person can pick up the scams again in another part of the country... But how far will it go? Will I be able to log onto a web site and check up my neighbours criminal records? Will people down the pub find out I got an £80 fine for having a pee against a wall??
- mind you I tell that one all the time...

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
I failed to understand what is wrong with our Bill of Rights, but the Labour party does not believe in protecting our Constitution.

No government on earth wants to protect peoples rights. They are there because of problems, if there are no problems they would not be needed.

new topics

top topics

join