It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans with no emotions

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by lightchild
Perhaps I can help?

My emotions are broken and I have very little empathy.
Any questions?

Do you have trouble getting out of bed in the morning?

You said it yourself, you have very little empathy, that does not mean none.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Ok, homeostatic emotions are triggered by the body as a safety mechanism (awareness of temperature, pain, hunger). These are a vital part of our system and we can't survive without it.
It's a biological process and personally I don't count them as "emotions" in the way that most people see emotions, including the OP I'm sure ( correct me if I'm wrong)

As for the mothers and the newborns, no I don't have numbers on that one, just what I hear from fellow mothers, read,... experienced.
Love (for a baby) and instinct (motherly instinct) are not the same. The motherly instinct sets in after birth, the best examples of that are found in the animal world.
You might aswell say that motherly instinct is a homeostatic emotion, a biological function.... who knows, there are tons of theories around this but nothing certain though.

I think that if you ask your md about your biological functions, he wouldn't clasify them as emotions
...and neither do I.

[edit on 7/10/2009 by GypsK]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

Can you describe exactly what you mean when you say your emotions are broken and how you came to determine this?

What sort of response do you have to things that would usually be expected to result in an emotional response such as a sudden, unexpected loud bang or whatnot?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these btw.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I do get out of bed in the mornings, because I do have to work to pay the bills, as I don't want to be homeless. But I don't wake up all excited and full of energy like many people.

I see empathy, someone has some good news they share and everyone else around them is smiling and wishing them well.
I will say something to be polite, but I don't feel anything.

Because I don't feel it, I don't really understand it.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

You can equally argue that classical emotions are important for survival and studies of people with brain damage and emotional problems would strongly support this.

But if you want another example how about the fear response to sudden, intense stimulus which is near universal among anyone with a normal functioning brain. These are innate response that are not learned.

You can’t just shut these off, nor can you like or dislike something without emotions.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by lightchild
reply to post by XXXN3O

I do get out of bed in the mornings, because I do have to work to pay the bills, as I don't want to be homeless. But I don't wake up all excited and full of energy like many people.

I see empathy, someone has some good news they share and everyone else around them is smiling and wishing them well.
I will say something to be polite, but I don't feel anything.

Because I don't feel it, I don't really understand it.

Sounds like you are depressed.

Try doing something you enjoy and if your not sure of what to do, throw yourself into something such as go-karting, parachuting, bungee jumping etc. Everyone gets down now and then, that doesnt mean you dont have any empathy.

When you are struggling to feel your own life, how are you going to feel anyone elses?

[edit on 7-10-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
just use emotion when you think it's the right time, having emotions is not always a bad thing.
have control of ur emotions or it will control you.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by platipus]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

I see other people around me having very emotional responses, such as crying at funerals, celebrating exam results, happy at the birth of a child.

I also see the drama in people lives, they receive a utility bill which they were expecting or their car won't start because they left the lights on and it seems to involve so much fuss, noise and nonsense talking.

I generally don't jump when something unexpected happens, one of my previous employers had a game of trying to make me jump, but it didn't work. It's ironic because I am always making other people jump as they never notice me coming in the room.

My understanding of the OP was t was more about emotions such as happiness, guilt, anger etc

EDIT To add, I need to pop out and I will be back in about an hour, to carry on posting.

[edit on 7/10/2009 by lightchild]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Only without emotions could you make a decision to drop a Nuclear Bomb on innocent people. Some scientists at the time did not even expect the reaction to stop and were afraid he could destroy the entire planet but being such a noble man as he was he went ahead anyway.
reply to post by XXXN3O

So much for the noble.
Those bloodlines that have secured ruling status on this planet, do seem to
lack emotion.
This can be viewed as a result of inbreeding.
A practiuce of the ruling elite.
Watch here how they sit while the politician does their bidding for them

From one of the Illuminatti bloodlines here he is folks please welcome
Ted Bundy!!!!

manson is also here.
What a great idea for a thread.
S&F

[edit on 7-10-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
All of our senses, feeling, emotions, instincts etc, are based on naturally evolved characteristics. These were the best adaptations to survive, therefore to remove any of them would provide a potential downfall to the future survival of the human race. What happens if a catastrophe occurs where we need these emotions and instinctual responses to survive? If we've removed them, it would be highly detrimental. If we could plan every single minute of our lives (or live in our own boxed environment) then we probably could remove whatever we fancied.... but life just isn't like that - it's unpredictable, and our current evolutionary path is best suited to that apparent randomness which can often entail much destruction.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by john124]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

You should probably think about seeing a therapist, as someone else said it could “just” be depression or it could be something else. Most importantly it could be curable. Try to see if your GP can refer you to someone.

One last question, what types of emotions do you feel, if any at all, and to what extent?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Ive actually had an experience in my life of these people, well not directly of course but the bottom line of it.

I wrote about it on this site quite some time ago.

I am a believer in God now after what I have experienced and I consider myself lucky to have walked away from corruption. I am glad I heard my wake up call.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Having emotions is a great thing. It makes us feel alive.
The problem most of us have is controlling them and thinking before we act.
Its a lifetime challenge especially when a lot of emotions are hormone induced.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I'm guessing I'm not the only person whose seen the film Equilibrium?

That gives a pretty good idea I think, apart from the crazy martial arts.. In it there's no difference between kids or adults cos basically there's no such thing as being childish anymore.

Everything is done with efficiency in mind rather than personal choice, with that comes everyone looking the same, no-one bothered about colour of clothing - the entire population walking about like mindless zombies, reduced to literally being a statistic while a false dictator orders them about their lives. All done by drugs keeping emotions totally limited.. everyone taking it except the elite.

Sounds familiar

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
98% of people just have total apathy, so i doubt anyone can say they feel.

Love is a load of bull too, when you think what you people do for it.

Love is not a load of bull. It would seem to me that you have been burned by love. When you find true love its an amazing thing.

I feel all kinds of emotions on a daily basis. It also depends on who i am around as well. I tend to feel others emotions when I am around them and sometimes its overwhelming and I tell you others DO feel.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I am a believer in God now

The proof is in the pudding my man.
This is evident in most of your posts that I have read.
Do you ever get a feeling of a person
just from these rigid block letters people use over the web?
I guess it would be their STYLE?

[edit on 7-10-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
Having emotions is a great thing. It makes us feel alive.
The problem most of us have is controlling them and thinking before we act.
Its a lifetime challenge especially when a lot of emotions are hormone induced.

I tend to agree with the first part of your statement, that having emotions is a great thing. The problem you mentioned can be taken from the opposite extreme too. There are some people (one in particular that I know personally) who control all of their emotions to point of never expressing any of them. This person thinks of all the possible outcomes and consquently never acts. This person is middle-of-the-road, emotionless, passionless, cold and unfriendly. Why? Because this person decided long ago that letting the emotions flow freely would cause more problems than they were worth. So, this person has consciously decided to control all outward signs of emotion - good and bad. Sort of a mental self-induced Prozak.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I guess all I can say to that is, ditto and yep.

I cannot think of anything to elaborate on that other than this elaboration sentence I have just written to prevent my post being a one liner.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
Is having emotions a good thing or a bad thing. When we get angry, sometimes too angry, then later we regret the actions we take part in.

But then again we have love, where we would sacrifice ourselves for another human soul.

Emotions, they have positive and negative affects on humans...

Here is the interesting part: How would we perceive the world without emotions.

Now ponder with me, if there was no hate, how would we know love? If there was no sadness, how would we know happiness? It would all be the same for us..

So are humans merely robots without emotions?

oozy

Speaking for myself, I believe emotions you don't choose are simply reverting to a more basic primal state, and I try to maintain an unemotional state whenever possible.

Note, I said choose. I differentiate based on the source of the emotion. If someone says something that I perceive as being mean, I try to minimise any retaliation. This is purely about control - If I react then someone else (or a missing interpretation) is in control of my actions. I would rather supress the emotions, and when I choose to show emotion I can.

So - I think that using our logical brain & having control over one's thoughts is the next step in human development. Our (reactive) emotional states have no place in an advanced society. They simply cloud reasoning and cause conflict where they may be none needed.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

How sad. Yeah that is OTT the other way.

I guess I should've said controlling extreme emotions.
Seems your friend is too afraid to feel at all.
Couldn't imagine being like that.
I really do need to express my emotions.

I just don't fly off the handle like I used to and have learned to control my emotional outbursts. It took a while to do it but now I guess you could say I choose my battles rather than feeling like I need to hit every ball that comes my way, like I used to. I'm a lot happier and relaxed for it.

It can be a good thing.....

<< 1    3  4 >>

join