It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plasma Rocket Could Travel to Mars in 39 Days

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9e9e5e2b5611.jpg[/atsimg]

As you can see a nuclear device may not even be needed , solar may provide the power enroute

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Now this is awesome stuff. Coupled with this: Shields For The Starship Enterprise: A Reality?

And this:

US Military using Electromagnetic armor

Pegasus Document Release #002
SOAR: Space Orbiting Advanced Fusion Power Reactor
Some of the related documents are not available in public domain...
Fusion Technology Institute
University of Wisconsin, Madison
January 1987....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Pegasus Document Release #004

ACTIVE SHIELDING CONCEPTS FOR THE IONIZING RADIATION IN SPACE

Much ado has been made by various groups about the radiation hazards Astronauts would face in Space. Well it may not be an issue...

Lets have a look at a NASA contractor report

Contract NASw-502
Final Report Rev. 31 Jan. 1964

Space Sciences Laboratory
Missile and Space Division
GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY
Philadelphia, Pa.

Final Report
Contract NASw - 5 0 2
Period Covered: 1 Sept. 1962 - 31 Aug. 1963

Shields for the Starship Enterprise: A Reality?
EISCAT Related Research
2007 RAS National Astronomy Meeting

www.thelivingmoon.com...

This is an offshoot of the HAARP/EISCAT technology

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel
And yes i know whatever makes the radio waves will require a more conventional power source.. but producing radio waves must be more cost efficient than the other method

How do you know that?

I stay by my opinion that the question of energy generation has been largely omitted, and the "acceleration per kilo" argument applies to propellant (which is correct) and not fuel consumed in producing energy.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamkidd
Great news but i dont believe we will succeed in our ventures to other planets until we learn to look after the one we have.

Sorry to get all ethereal in my view, im not taking anything away from this development in technology, just wanted to voice my heartfelt opinion.

Do you realize what will happen when people have no where left to run?

Taking care of the planet will not be on their priority list at all.

You'd better consider what it would mean to get resource extraction and industrial pollutants off the planet, if you want to conserve it over time.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
High Power Helicon (HPH) Plasma Thruster
Tue July 27 11:07:46 PDT 2004

www.ess.washington.edu...

Video of firing

Magnetized Beamed Plasma Propulsion (MagBeam)
Tue July 27 11:07:46 PDT 2004

The major push in advanced electric propulsion at this time is for the deployment of large plasma thrusters, with ever increasing power units and cost. Imagine instead a system where large power units are placed permanently in orbit around critical regions of a planet. With a beamed plasma system, spacecraft can be pushed or pulled to perform orbital transfers around the planet or accelerated to other planets at essentially the cost of a sub-orbital mission. NIAC 2005 Fellows Meeting presentation (30MBytes) and additional movies of magbeam animations and prototyping can be seen by clicking on the above links. Phase I NIAC Final Report (2 Mbytes).

Mini-Magnetospheric Plasma Propulsion (M2P2)

Plasma Magnet

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
SCI/TECH: Earth to Mars in 3 hours possible?

New Scientist magazine have an article noting a new theory that may allow the creation of engines able to power a spacecraft to Mars in 3 hours and to the next solar system in 80 days.

5-1-2006

AN EXTRAORDINARY "hyperspace" engine that could make interstellar space travel a reality by flying into other dimensions is being investigated by the United States government.

The hypothetical device, which has been outlined in principle but is based on a controversial theory about the fabric of the universe, could potentially allow a spacecraft to travel to Mars in three hours and journey to a star 11 light years away in just 80 days, according to a report in today's New Scientist magazine.

The theoretical engine works by creating an intense magnetic field that, according to ideas first developed by the late scientist Burkhard Heim in the 1950s, would produce a gravitational field and result in thrust for a spacecraft.

Also, if a large enough magnetic field was created, the craft would slip into a different dimension, where the speed of light is faster, allowing incredible speeds to be reached. Switching off the magnetic field would result in the engine reappearing in our current dimension.

news.scotsman.com...

Info comes and goes and is rediscovered anew

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

First off both the U.S. and Russia have been putting nuclear reactors in space for awhile now

www.nytimes.com.../Ref erence/Times+Topics/People/B/Broad,+William+J.

despite the danger, both superpowers have shot nuclear reactors into space - the Russians with relative frequency - and both are tinkering with new types of reactors. The Soviet Union has launched 18 nuclear-powered spy satellites. The United States in 1965 launched one reactor, which still circles the earth, and the Defense Department is currently considering a return to the business of boosting reactors into orbit.

Secondly, yes you could use solar panels or sails for missions that are close to stars, but at a certain point in deep space they won't work.

So it is as simple as using the hydrogen that you are sucking in to fuel the engine to also power the battery bank(that the solar panels were originally powering), which is powering the microwave antennae and all the other devices. Using the set up you can find in the honda clarity will allow for all that and then some.
automobiles.honda.com...

Also this whole system would take up as much space and weight as just the fuel tanks on contemporary rockets themselves

J.C.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by consciencious observer]

[edit on 7-10-2009 by consciencious observer]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreamkidd

I agree. So long as children are needlessly starving to death, and dying of preventable water-born diseases, humanity should not be going anywhere.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The use of ANY chemical / propellant-based rockets is so horse-and-buggy for these days. The scientists want to use those toys because it is a sideshow, a misdirection for the REAL thing that is going on with Mars and our means to get to Mars.

We now have devices that are called "Corridors" that can teleport men and materials to Mars in an instant. Men have walked upon the surface of Mars and have been there and back in mere seconds of time in terms of travel to there and back. We have bases on Mars, as well as the Moon. We have credible witnesses saying very clearly that they have BEEN to Mars and back, so now they are speaking out with their names being revealed.

If you want to search real-life names of men who have been on Mars and back, then search this: " Command Sergeant Major Bob Dean " and " 'Henry Deacon' aka Art Neumann ".

Read this...

www.projectcamelot.org...

... as it the latest transcript to be posted on the Project Camelot site. I have edited this one. There are newer transcripts that are more Mars-specific that I have edited, but they have not yet been posted to the site, as the site owners are totally swamped with too many things to do, so they are sitting on a pile of no less than 7 edited transcripts that need to be posted soon.

It bugs me that so many transcripts have not been posted, but I totally understand that the site owners are so swamped with too many things to do and not enough time, so I'll just have to bite my lip and be patient. The Project Camelot folks are doing us a very valuable service by making this valuable stuff available.

I really like Bob Dean -- he's a real American who loves our country and who will stand beside her forever. God bless Bob Dean.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel
As you can see a nuclear device may not even be needed , solar may provide the power enroute

Hmmm so what do you do for solar power when you leave the solar system and the closet next one is 4.2 light years away?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint
I agree. So long as children are needlessly starving to death, and dying of preventable water-born diseases, humanity should not be going anywhere.

With the rate we are breeding and over populating this tiny rock, we better hurry up and get out there to find new worlds to live on

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Finallyyyyyyyyyy, enough of Mars already
let's see some ground images of Jupiter and Saturn now

Jupiter and Saturn have no "ground".
You did know that, right?

there is no "ground" but there is much speculation that both of the super giants do have a core of some sort. Theories go from cores of solid diamonds to cores of gas so compressed that they become more dense than steel.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I'm sure they have had it around for many decades, as well as the other millions of ground breaking technology currently in use -- they have to slowly feed us.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy!

Nice!

Imagine what this could turn into within a hundred years. Wow!

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by OmegaPoint

With the rate we are breeding and over populating this tiny rock, we better hurry up and get out there to find new worlds to live on

Omegapoint that's a view with admirable motivations, but it's also short-sighted.

In addition to overpopulation as Zorgon mentioned, we may not be able to stop a planet killer asteroid like the one that wiped out the dinosaurs, or some other megadisaster that could befall Earth. That would dwarf a few starving children in the magnitude of the destruction. And perhaps the only chance of survival the human race would have is to inhabit more than one planet so if one is destroyed, there will be at least one left, so our species can continue, unlike the dinosaurs.

In fact we already know the sun will expand and vaporize all water on earth someday, so the Earth is doomed eventually and the only question is what megadisaster will come before then and will we be able to survive it?

It may be advanced propulsion systems like these that someday enable our very survival as a species.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JD4Eva

Quite true but every few months at ATS it will be 'breaking news'

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Do you realize what will happen when people have no where left to run?

Taking care of the planet will not be on their priority list at all.

You'd better consider what it would mean to get resource extraction and industrial pollutants off the planet, if you want to conserve it over time.

Was gonna reply to that post along the same lines, I think getting humanity or at least finally having a concrete option to expand off world would be a boon to our over all attitude to Earth. Living or working on a desolate (by earths standard) world or knowing earth isnt our only place of habitation would make us appreciate it alot more.

I think humanity will be alot more eco minded once Earth starts being thought of as the Homeworld, I mean it would be something of a bit of pride in keeping the Homeworld in tip top shape. Then again what happens when you have humans born offworld... i guess their industrial worlds become their homeworld and so mankind will spread, slowly polluting then protecting every planet/moon as we go.

I say bring it on! ... hmm although i think im being a little to idealistic.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

zorgon

i thought we were discussing a mission to mars ..NOT a deep space mission.. thats a different kettle of fish. if no solar power were available then an alternative must be found.

consciencious observer

i can't remember saying that they Did not put nuclear reactor into space? i merely said solar was an optinon for a mars mission. as i say above another source would have to be found in deep space missions

hydrogen gathering enroute has been specualted for a while now. as it is the most abundant element... however if this was perfected we would be sucking power from thin air right now .. or at least sucking it from space.

TO ALL

Rechargable batteries are not an option in solar because of the weight imho.

also once you have velocity, unless thrust is applied in the opposite direction you keep going right?... can we coast the vast distances in space until a small battery replinishing sun is found? just a thought .. with maybe some backup powered emergency thrusters for emergency movement.. we could carefully plan the deeper missions to coast most of the way.

Not sure how viable the above concept is .. because as we all know space is not as empty as we think and many unseen factors could eventually slow us down.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

Read carefully. Sure, the plasma engine uses less propellant, but the propellant they use (argon) is not the energy source, unlike propellants used in chemical rockets. This is exactly the source of difference in propellant mass! Pretty obvious, actually.

Now, the plasma engine will need energy to operate, so they will have to carry an energy source at least as heavy as conventional rockets.

Case closed.

I agree that the energy source needed is a big question. But I've only read the article in the OP which doesn't address that. In order to agree with "case closed" I'd have to do more research on what the proposed energy sources would be for say, a trip to Mars, have you looked into that?

I don't think regular solar collectors will provide enough power.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The issue has been power. Like with the Ion engines that we have operating on probes, if we had enough energy we could get better thrust from the engines. The problem is that we can't get enough power from solar power panels of today. A fusion reactor would be ideal. Also I believe that the US has solved alot of these problems, if your going to have a secret space program you would need stuff to help you protect your crew from radiation and to long of a distance to a planet.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join