It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fahrenheit 9/11 - now, the heat

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I didn't say it was not a political film, and I only quoted Tarantino, who has probably made more commercially viable and "artistic" films than you will.

I bet you will see it in its first week of release out of morbid curiosity, and help fuel the flames.

I bet you will not be able to resist.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Moore made a documentary with a political agenda.
So what ?
Documentaries without agendas would suck, I can't imagine anything worse than three hours of cold facts with no voice to give me a perspective on how I might interpret these facts.

Afterwards I can go... hmmm, yes I agree with Moores contentions about Bush, or , nope, I think you missed the ball on this one but to say that an agenda means his movies are simply one long lie would be like saying everything Riefenstahl filmed at Nuremberg never happened because she edited with specific sympathetic intent.

Funnily enough, if you watch Bowling a few times you'll notice that the film doesn't hinge on "facts" and Moore putting those "facts" together in order to serve his own agenda, more often than not he will just let who ever is talking at the time talk, he simply juxtaposes this with context and I think that�s why the Neocons get in such a flap about him.

You can argue gun crime stats.
You can dismiss psychological profiles and political motivations.

What you can't do is ignore the fact that holding a gun rally in columbine a few weeks after the shootings was insensitive.

So you get Heston sitting there, saying guns are fine, and at the same time you know he's done something that you can't really justify.

You'll get the same thing with Bush. I doubt there will be much commentary from Moore during the three minutes he spends on Camera cracking jokes and winking at the make up artist just before he goes on air to say the countries going to war and that�s what upsets the neo cons. They're going to have to watch him do it, and you simply can't justify it.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 05:09 AM
link   
... and Disney shows true colors.

Perhaps the U.S.A. P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act could yet be invoked to prevent the film's doeemstic release, or it could be subpoenaed by the 9/11 Commission. Won't someone do stop something to stop the release... help please... time is running short! It must be stopped!

Moore Film Is Held Up by Questions About Rights
By SHARON WAXMAN

Published: May 25, 2004

OS ANGELES, May 24 � Tense relations between Disney and Miramax are complicating a deal to find a distributor for Michael Moore's anti-Bush documentary movie "Fahrenheit 9/11," which is still without American representation two days after winning the Palme d'Or at the Cannes International Film Festival.

Lions Gate, Focus Features and Newmarket have all expressed strong interest in releasing the film, which criticizes the president's launching of the war in Iraq and details ties between the Bush family and Saudi Arabia's upper class, including the bin Laden family.

But executives at those companies, many of whom signed confidentiality agreements over the film, acknowledged privately that negotiations had been stalled because it is unclear who has the rights to it.

"The deal hasn't been struck, with us or anyone else," said one leading executive at a distributor. "I think it's because of all the complications with Disney. Miramax is more consumed with dotting the i's and crossing the t's on the Disney equation."

A Disney spokeswoman, Zenia Mucha, said there was no delay in transferring the film rights to the Miramax co-chairmen, Bob and Harvey Weinstein, who will make a deal with another distributor as private individuals.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 05:34 AM
link   
well one thing is for sure. This movie is going to be a massive hit in Europe..

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 05:37 AM
link   
MM has something no one else in the media has....rock hard stones!

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
" But why should we hear about body bags, and deaths, and how many, what day it's gonna happen, and how many this or what do you suppose? Or, I mean, it's, it's not relevant. So why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that? And watch him suffer."

� Barbara Bush on "Good Morning America,"
March 18, 2003

Less than a day later, Dim Son gets caught on camera goofing around with staff and reporters, making jokes, 30 seconds before telling America that we're going into a WAR!!

SHE needn't have worried. Her son wasn't suffering. In one of the several pieces of startling video exhibited for the first time in Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11," we catch a candid glimpse of President Bush some 36 hours after his mother's breakfast TV interview � minutes before he makes his own prime-time TV address to take the nation to war in Iraq. He is sitting at his desk in the Oval Office. A makeup woman is doing his face. And Mr. Bush is having a high old time. He darts his eyes about and grins, as if he were playing a peek-a-boo game with someone just off-camera. He could be a teenager goofing with his buds to relieve the passing tedium of a haircut.

"In your wildest dreams you couldn't imagine Franklin Roosevelt behaving this way 30 seconds before declaring war, with grave decisions and their consequences at stake," said Mr. Moore in an interview before his new documentary's premiere at Cannes last Monday. "But that may be giving him credit for thinking that the decisions were grave."

www.nytimes.com...

THAT, my friends, will be the straw that breaks the Elephants back for many right leaning Independents & moderate Republicans: they can put up with the assigning of much of his function to the cabinet, but to lack the gravity of the office will seem unforgiveable to them.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I'm new on this site and i just wanted to say that I really enjoyed Michael Moore's documentary or film what ever you want to call it. I liked the way he kept accusing the NRA, but if I where Michael Moore I would have given Charleston Heston my NRA membership back and told him I didn't want to be part of an association that he intentionaly makes out to look like one of the factors responsible for todays violence. That leaves the question that if he truly believes that the NRA is responsible then why is he still a member?

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Hmmmm.

So he can get all relevant information from the organization, and exercise his membership rights?

But then by that logic he would join the G.O.P.

The Weinstein brothers have landed the rights, all systems go.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 05:45 AM
link   
The following is a really useful thread for "highly intelligent" people who want to pooh-pooh the Palme d'or winner without even seeing it.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Meanwhile the film is set for international release from July 2nd.

At least in that timeframe it gives the so-called coalition's provisional authority the opportunity to bail out of Iraq with a government currently under construction in its place, and with a commitment to keep troops there till December 2005. But who's managing the troops and why, and what happens when the Iraqi government naturally doesn't want them there? What a joke when idiot Bush calls this a transfer of "sovereignty" as at June 30.

The film is going to have extraordinarily strong interest. Watch the "highly intelligent" people continue to pooh-pooh it, and believe the corrupt picture of the Bush admin that it paints to be fictional.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   

as quoted by BT
THAT, my friends, will be the straw that breaks the Elephants back for many right leaning Independents & moderate Republicans: they can put up with the assigning of much of his function to the cabinet, but to lack the gravity of the office will seem unforgiveable to them.

BT, this may be your take, but I don't believe it to be the case.
That particular tune of "the straw that breaks the Elephants back" has been stated, mentioned, and cast before and to no avail.
I tell you what, and here's the truth.....
Get the Democrats to provide a real candidate to topple Bush, cause till then, the best that you, and others that wish to see him removed, can do is to continue to post misc. informations, catch phrases, and high-glossed prayers that still do not make the present Demo. candidate any more appealling.

Perhaps, as others seemingly have, you can place your 'money'/hopes on Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 doing just cause damage and having some small role and effect on votes and pollings, but I highly doubt it.....at least till Moore's claims are debunked in the upcoming documentary: Michael Moore Hates America.

seekerof

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I still disagree with a "two party" assessment of Bush's removal from office.

The US has bottomed out with the cynical, corrupt, inept, self-congratulating stance and foreign incursion policy implementation of the Bush administration.

Any candidate provided by any party is more viable than a curtain call for Bush.

Moore just shows a little of why that is the case.

People that support the Bush administration seem to hate themselves and each other as much as they hate whatever they hate about America and other nations. Bush is all about hate, it's a useful brand in a policy and competence vacuum.

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
People that support the Bush administration seem to hate themselves and each other as much as they hate whatever they hate about America and other nations. Bush is all about hate, it's a useful brand in a policy and competence vacuum.

The epitome of textual generalization. It seems some just hate for no other reason than to hate. I guess hate IS a useful tool for those in an intellectual vacuum too.

And trust me, Moore shows more than a "little". He shows that most viewer support, goes back to big business like McDonalds and Burger King.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
It seems some just hate for no other reason than to hate. I guess hate IS a useful tool for those in an intellectual vacuum too.

Exactly. That's what this war machine feeds on too - greed, suspicion, hate, wrapped up in red white and blue colors and sanitized for consumption by Fox viewers.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Exactly. That's what this war machine feeds on too - greed, suspicion, hate, wrapped up in red white and blue colors and sanitized for consumption by Fox viewers.

This is what makes Bush, and whoever controls the strings attatched to his arms, terrorists. Fear has been the greatest tool of this administration which has used the deaths of 3000 people in New York as it's trump card, overiding any oposition to it's illegal and immoral actions by screaming patriotism. It makes me sick. Regardless of political biased, can't people see the damage that is being done to America, and how the whole world sees America. The invasions of iraq and Afghanistan were both planned before 9/11. The worst part is that alot of people seem to believe that his 'policy' is making America safer..

Moore has my support for attempting to stop these warmongerers, I have no objection to his spin in this department i'm afraid.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
MA. You should not invest time in lying or liars.......ooops!

M moore is a liar, a fabricator and a confabulator extreme......

his tripe of rhetoric will only stir the s..t pot he was born in...

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
earthtanned is a moron

Please go to Iraq and tell the troops...........

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Here's a link to the trailer of the movie:
www.fahrenheit911.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
thanks for posting the link parrhesia
i've noticed the hoopla, but seeing the trailer really makes me want to go see this movie/documentary now.

btw MA, good thread

sorry me being duh again and leaving out important words in my sentences

[Edited on 6-3-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Tyriffic

Thank you for your generous advice! Truly, only yesterday, I was thinking of you - I kid you not - and there you appear, ensuring that my hard earned dollars do not get unwisely invested in "left wing" documentaries. Thanks for the heads up!

I had read the US release date was accelerated - good news - but I had not understood why till this:

03/06/2004 02:54 PM
Bob Tourtellotte

Film director Michael Moore's anti-Bush documentary Fahrenheit 9/11 will hit U.S. theatres on June 25 after backers Bob and Harvey Weinstein struck distribution deals for the controversial, Cannes festival award-winning film, the parties say.

Lions Gate Entertainment and IFC Films, major players in the arena for independent movies, will release Moore's movie to theatres, and cable television network Showtime will handle the sale of rights for pay-TV.

Fahrenheit 9/11 caused a firestorm of publicity in May after the Walt Disney Co. refused to allow its Miramax Films unit, which is run by the Weinstein brothers, to release the movie to theatres claiming it was too politically charged.

Fahrenheit 9/11, which won the coveted Palm d'Or, the top prize at last month's prestigious Cannes film festival, looks at America's reaction to the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Centre and Pentagon....

.... "I think, for a large segment of the population, it is going to be a must-see film," said Jon Feltheimer, Lions Gate chief executive. "Forget the controversy, if you look at the body of Michael Moore's work. It's really good filmmaking." .......

...... Last week the Weinsteins cut a deal with Disney to buy back the film rights for the cost of the film, estimated at US$6 million (3.3 million pounds).

Sources near the early dealmaking said the Weinsteins were seeking agreements under which they retained ownership of the film and the distribution partners helped fund film prints and marketing then shared in box office receipts.

Both Feltheimer and Sehring declined to comment on the financial details.

The new distribution partners did say that they already had significant interest from theatre chains wanting to show the film and who were not shying away from the controversy.

Sehring said they had originally wanted to release Fahrenheit 9/11 on July 2 in about 500 theatres, but moved it up on the calendar. He said the number of theatres showing it had yet to be determined.

I hate to disagree with my friend Tyriffic, but I will be making a small investment in a cinema ticket.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
....MA. Ha!

Yeah, life has changed and ATS has backburnered, so to speak my froind(sic).

M moore is loony, yet determined and passionate. I would not buy into the conspiracy he is selling though.

How are you doing fella?? I hope you are well?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join