It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My latest Moon Image

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
This is my latest moon image taken last month during full moon.

I was hoping to catch this month's Harvest Moon but the weather unfortunately didn't co-operate.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a9aa7b4aaa88.jpg[/atsimg]

Taken with an 8" F6 newtonian

Camera: Canon Rebel Xt @ prime focus

Conditions were excellent thankfully

If using mozilla right click picture select view then right click again and save image to get the hires image on your drive. Hope this helps.

Processing - brightness and contrast adjust
Neat image demo noise removal
Colours are not artificial (RGB)

Hope you enjoy the image,

Mars or Bust
edit spelling mistake and posted image on ATS

[edit on 6/10/09 by marsorbust]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
That's an awesome shot! I am very interested by Space and the surrounding planets.

Would love to get you to take a few shots for me!
I'll add you as a friend

link   
reply to post by marsorbust

Just pretend I'm a little kid before you answer this question, ok?

Why does it look like there are oceans on the surface?

link   
That's just beautiful.

The violence of her past is pretty easy to see in this one.

Thank you very much for sharing.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ATSRyan

Hi ATSRyan

Well I'll do the best I can for you, what did you have in mind?

Glad you have an interest in space. The planets can be quite nice if sky conditions co-operate. Thats the trouble with living near the coast, long waits for good nights and stable skies.

Mob

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This photo is just another example of why I don't understand why there has ever been a debate about the colors of the Moon. All you have to do is look up and see these colors with your own eyes. Blues and greens are apparent even to the naked eye viewing the Moon from Earth. Just like in this beautiful picture.

In addition to pictures like this and the ability of anyone on Earth to look up and see colors like this we also have the astronauts themselves often talking about the colors of the Moon.

So seriously, why has there ever been a question when we can just look up and see the colors for ourselves?

I wonder if and how long it will take for somone to try and "debunk" this image, and say it's somehow been altered or faked?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Dear Hazelnut,

Those are the maria translates to seas, viewed in the past, the ancients thought they were seas, so your in good company.

Here's a link:

en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks for looking,

Mob

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I did not expect to see such a large amount of dark blues and Light greens.

What rocks make up the green color?

As I think the dark blue is shadowing from craters?

the upper left area almost resembles earth

[edit on 6-10-2009 by 10001011]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Isnt the moon supposed to always have the same side towards us? Why then are not all pictures of the moon identical in terms of visible surface area?

Compare this image with the original posters image:Moon

Im not claiming a conspiracy here, just noticed the images had different angles of the moon.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by fieryjaguarpaw

Dear fieryjaguarpaw,

Yes its a known fact that the moon is colored, no mystery there.

In fact my eyes are too old, but I have heard of others who can spot color on the moon.

There is nothing to debunk. You may see tonal differences between images from different cameras and telescope combinations. That still couldn't debunk a known fact that the moon has color variations over its surface. Its a beautiful object to image, it always captivates me to see its rugged beauty. I'll never understand why it doesn't yet have a permanent base on it today.

Mob

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by marsorbust
I'll never understand why it doesn't yet have a permanent base on it today.

Many believe it does, and there is certain evidence for it as well. Of course if one nation managed to build a base they would keep it a secret, so its not very outlandish to me.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
great pic, you don't happen to be holding back a larger version of it do you?

would love to get it if you do,

u2u me, and thank you.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by 10001011

Dear 10001011,

I can't say for sure why the green colors are there but it may be possible there is exposed copper minerals, just a guess on my part though.

Thanks,
mob

edited my first name out oops!

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

Thats simple enough Copernicus (Great name choice).

My newt (telescope) is mounted alt az not equatorially. You are seeing that affect. We do see more of the moon than you would think, due to libration. Do a google for lunar libration.

Thanks,
Mob

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Greetings Alaska Man,

Maybe you didn't right click it, if you right click it you will see an option for download, its bigger than my desktop which is 1280 X 800, its approx 1700 X 1700. Does that help?

Mob

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Hi KSPigpen,

I get dizzy looking at your avatar...good job.

Thanks very much for your kind comments.

Mob

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Awesome picture! The colors are usually drowned out since they are so faint. The moon IS grey, but it's tinted different colors due to mineral content. Do you have anymore like this of other objects?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by fieryjaguarpaw
This photo is just another example of why I don't understand why there has ever been a debate about the colors of the Moon. All you have to do is look up and see these colors with your own eyes. Blues and greens are apparent even to the naked eye viewing the Moon from Earth. Just like in this beautiful picture.

No one's debating that there are traces of color in the moon, everyone agrees the mineral content varies from region to region, but unless you adjust the contrast the colors are extremely faint. Here's an example of a moon image I took and stacked without adjusting the contrast:
farm3.static.flickr.com...
The colors are basically invisible except near the terminator.

I wonder if and how long it will take for somone to try and "debunk" this image, and say it's somehow been altered or faked?

The alterations were plainly stated by the OP and help reveal the details better than an untouched image, but I wouldn't dare put that in the same sentence with "faked."

Great image OP, did you stack any frames or is it from just a single exposure?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Fantastic photograph!!!

I'm curious as to what sort of shutter speed/aperture you had your camera set at.

If only I still had my telescope....

Originally posted by Copernicus

Originally posted by marsorbust
I'll never understand why it doesn't yet have a permanent base on it today.

Many believe it does, and there is certain evidence for it as well. Of course if one nation managed to build a base they would keep it a secret, so its not very outlandish to me.

Thats doubtful. One nation keeping a secret from all other nations? Yeah right. If JAXA had a station up there, the United States would nooooot be happy. ESA would even probably be quite livid. (just an example)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
image res?

Is anyone able to get this image at over 1700 x 1700 pixels??

If not can ats support this resolution?

Thanks,
Mob

CANCEL, image is posted on ats now, sorry for the mixup

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join