It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China vows to stand by North Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

China vows to stand by North Korea

ca.news.yahoo.com

BEIJING (Reuters) - China vowed to strengthen bonds with North Korea, saying on Monday that its traditional ties with the isolated state were a boon to peace.

The renewed commitment between the two communist neighbors came in messages between President Hu Jintao as well as other Chinese leaders and North Korea's top leader, Kim Jong-il, who on Sunday greeted Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao at the start of a visit focused on bolstering bilateral relations.

The messages marked 60 years since the two countries established formal ties on October 6, 1949, and did not mention North Korea's nuclear weapons program, instead stressing their focus on shoring up sometimes tense bilateral relations.

"History demonstrates that developing China-North Korea relations is in keeping with the fundamental interests and shared wishes of both countries' people," said the congratulatory message from China, issued by the official Xinhua news agency. "It also benefits protecting regional peace and stability."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-10-2009 by CanadianDream420]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Seems World Leaders are publically announcing which "side" they are on.

This whole mess with Iran isn't looking good....

Not since Iran/Israel stated to be covered in news since about 2002, have I seen so much rhetoric and blantant LIES about Iran to gain public support....... on both sides actually.

[edit on 5-10-2009 by CanadianDream420]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
China has a long history of "taking care" of North Korea. First when they were both true-red commuinists. Now that China is increasingly "communist in name only," it still maintains the tie.

Personally, I don't see this so much as "taking sides." I think if China DIDN'T take an active role in what goes on in North Korea, the general danger to the world at large would be increased. A flood of North Korean refugees would swamp China, NK would get less food aid than it already does (making it more desperate and dangerous), and NK would be even more isolated and unpredictable.

I don't partiuclarly trust the Chinese government, but I trust the North Korean one even less. And love it or hate it, no-one can deny China has a certain amount of muscle. I'm glad its got North Korea on its leash (sort of). Who knows where that doggie might go wandering if it had no collar at all?

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I think China's leash on North Korea was better 20 years ago. They have North Korea in step about as much as the US has Israel under control. Both underlings are very dangerous Pit Bulls.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DEEZNUTZ
I think China's leash on North Korea was better 20 years ago. They have North Korea in step about as much as the US has Israel under control. Both underlings are very dangerous Pit Bulls.

Perhaps. But its better than nothing.

Its also worth remembering that many nations make these kinds of "promises" to "strengthen ties" all the time. It really probably doesn't mean that much. East-Asian politics in particular are noted for these kinds of empty feel-good statements. Note how vague the message is.

Also note that the article states: "The messages marked 60 years since the two countries established formal ties." I read this as essentially a general "shout out" on the occasion of an anniversery...I don't think its that big of a deal, or signifies any real shift in policy.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
This is reason enough to get out of that area of the world. Japan doesn't even want us there. Not only could we save money we could save face. We can't afford the empire building, let's be real about that now. We are so deep in the red the interest alone is becoming unsustainable.

South Korea will not be attacked by the North because China still has a leash around them. Even South Korea wants relations with the North. Let them work out their problems. Japan is smart enough to produce a defensive posture in that region without having to resort to nuclear weapons.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Personally I'm glad somebody is talking to little Kimmy. China wants to man up and do it then good for them. As mentioned earlier China is the one who will have to deal with either the mass exodus or a nuclear rouge power right next door.

This actually shows just how little influence China really had with N Korea. It shows that they had to reestablish a relationship that was stressed. I think China will have to eventually either take control of the North or talk them into giving up the nuclear ghost. Same goes for Russia with Iran. We all know through out history an Allie one decade can become an adversary the next.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloakndagger
This is reason enough to get out of that area of the world. Japan doesn't even want us there.

Well, I'm not sure about that statement regarding Japan. Certainly some people in Japan want the US out. But the majority fear China more than they loathe the US military presence. Of course, as closer industrial ties with China form, this may change.

In a few years, I believe, the US is planning to leave the Okinawa base. This makes some people happy, but it will have a deeply negative impact on the local economy there (as the Phillippines discovered when the US closed the base there in the '90s). As for Japan as a whole, it has deep, serious government deficits. It doesn't owe money to the outside world the way the US does, but its government owes A LOT of money to its citizens (social security, pensions, bonds, their version of national health care, etc.). If the US left completely, Japan would be forced to create its own military. There is little money in the Japanese public coffer to do this (although the so-called "self-defense forces" are actually quite large already). And with one of the most rapidly-aging societies on earth, there will even less money for military purposes in the future. Another factor is that the vast majority of the Japanese people do NOT want a standing military and are STRONGLY opposed to the repealing of article 5 of the Japanese constitution, which officially prevents it from having one.

Of course, the day is rapidly approaching when, like it or not, the US will also run out of cash to fund its far-flung military instillations...

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The only reason China is backing North Korea is because they do not want a US-allied nation on their border

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonjo
The only reason China is backing North Korea is because they do not want a US-allied nation on their border

I'm sure they don't. But they also don't want a flood of NK refugees (there is already a "strong trickle" and I believe that plays a big part in their thinking.

BTW, I believe that NK's current status is unsustainable. The "Dear Leader" is in terrible health (just look at recent photos of him), and I expect his death within several years at latest. When this happens, NK could go in lots of different directions. Assuming they don't end up a nuclear wasteland of some sort, I believe they will begin a "China-like" drift away from the far left and closer towards capitalism. (Actually, they already have a kind of experimental trade zone near the Chinese border).

If this occurs, getting in on the "ground floor" of North Korea could be the investment opportunity of a lifetime, like investing in China 10 or 15 years ago, or buying Tokyo real estate in 1945 and selling it in 1989, say.

new topics

top topics

join