It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia's Deadliest. Thanks for the Fosters beer and the Body Bag.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha
[

Man I get so sad everytime I watch this video

What a waste of an animal

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

[

Man I get so sad everytime I watch this video

What a waste of an animal

And you can see the human on the other side, a times, enticing the poor damn creature to act...

It is truly hard to put emotion aside, such a wonderful animal.. Such a shame..

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
While Australian snakes have the most toxic venom in the world, they have good sides too. They have very small, weak, fangs. They usually cannot penetrate most types of clothing, and do not always inject venom. If you do get bit, changes are you have no venom in you. Do NOT wash any visible venom off as it can be used to identify the type of snake. Wrap a bandage around the wound and up the limb, tightly, this will help prevent it from spreading, and also seek urgent medical attention.

Stone fish - wear sandals.

Crocodiles - don't swim in stupid places, like places that are marked "no swimming, crocodiles".

Jellyfish - wear a stinger suite.

Sharks - I enjoy swimming with sharks...

Spiders - never been bitten, seen someone get bitten, or heard of someone who I knew get bitten. Maybe that's because I'm down south.

Or come to Victoria where there are no dangerous animals.

[edit on 5/10/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Oz is a great place & is so beautiful but you need to be wary when you are around our some of our animals

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
. The best native stalker we have is actually the salt water crocodile. They can smell blood in water from kilometers away

Thats right, and most tourists dont realise you dont have to be in water to get attacked, the will come up on land.
Steve cryin gover ones death.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
If you visit Australia, I'd recommend the lower NSW coast, it seems to be one of the least dangerous areas from experience. The worst thing I've been stung by was a normal jellyfish, not a worry at all, and I don't know of many people who've had their life threatened due to wildlife. I've seen a good few snakes, but never been bitten. I am drawn to the bush, and I've spent a good amount of time exploring the bushland of Australia. It is fairly rare to see a snake, unless you actually go looking for one. The best advice, is just leave the wildlife alone, and it will generally leave you alone. The only thing that bothers me are white tips. They love getting into clothing and sheeting, which is the worst thing possible. They can do a lot of damage, and I just don't like the though of spider fangs injecting venom into me, but they are still fairly rare...other than that though...there isn't really much to worry about...my house is surrounded by bush...and I have no wildlife problems at all...oh...except those damn ants!

EDIT: They are usually more scared of you than you are of them...one exception may be certain snakes...I've been chased by a freakin huge snake...that's not fun.

[edit on 5/10/09 by CHA0S]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Hmmm trying to scear ppl away from our lovely homeland...lol

In all reality, most of these critters aren't as deadly as all that.

Not unless you can't get treatment in a hurry.

Cept the Stonefish & Box Jellyfish ofcourse. But most venom can only circulate as fast as it takes the blood at the bite site to reach the heart and then make its way to the areqas it normally effects.

In most cases. if you stay calm, keep still and tend first aid to the bite and acompanying limb, you'll not feel the symptoms for atleast 3hrs. A good 6hrs untill you pass out & death shortly after.

I have been bitten 4 times. Once by a Copperhead, twice by Tiger Snakes and once by a Small Eyed Snake. I have been round Reptiles all my life. All this "take 4 steps and then you die", talk is just hype made up in bad movies..lol

Yes it is true, AU dose have contenders in the top ten most dangerous snakes catagory. But I might add that the Red Bellied Black Snake is'nt amongst them (rear fanged and low toxicity). It isn't even in the top 50. It is in the top ten for AU but not for the world. But Red Bellies do make lovely pets, they are so docile..

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz

Except for the good old Vicco Police Force. You know its true.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
God bless Australia... The only place in the world I have ever been cornered by Ants!!

Bloody big things and if I didn't know better I would swear they chased me! Jackjumpers I believe. Nasty little critters. I say "little"... They looked about the size of mice to me!

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I was watching something on Discovery on friday about the Blue Ringed Octopus, their blue rings only light up when they feel threatened & when they bite you to inject there venom you dont feel it as it has a numbing effect on you, then you feel tired, go to sleep & never wake up again. Freaky

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Human picture needed.
www.euronews.net...

[edit on 5-10-2009 by pai mei]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Great thread Miss Frazzy! S&F

Nice entries so far. These two aren't so much deadly as they are painful... though the wolf spider's venom has been known to have effects similar to white tails. Science still knows little about them... Eeep!

Wolf Spider

The garden wolf spider, Lycosa godeffroyi, is one of the most widespread species of wolf spider in Australia and common across the southern and eastern mainland.

They are large, robust spiders growing up to 25 mm in body length. They are grey-brown in colour with a pattern of bars on the abdomen and radiating marks on the head and thorax.

IRM's NOTE: Oh... they grow much, much bigger than 25mm! I've seen one nearly as big as my hand!

Garden wolf spiders have eight eyes, usually two very large eyes looking forward, two smaller facing up and a row of four small eyes below. They have yellowish fang-bases under the head.

Garden wolf spiders live in vertical burrows, usually in the ground with a collar of silk but no lid. Other species of wolf spider, as well as some trapdoor spiders, make a lid for the opening of their burrow.

Wolf spiders may sit at the lip of their burrow and when provoked, rear up in defence or quickly retreat inside.

Linky

AND WHAT AUSSIE CAR WOULD BE COMPLETE WITHOUT A HUNTSMAN TO WALK ACROSS THE STEERING WHEEL WHILE DRIVING!

The Huntsman

Hunstman Spiders are extremely aggressive, will arch up to make displays to frighten off perceived threats, and will tenaciously cling to attackers or perceived attackers if they think it will protect them. Given any other circumstance, Hunstman Spiders are designed to slip through holes and cracks and will escape if they feel outmatched.

Huntsman Spiders are not harmful to humans, and although big and scary, are certainly not strong enough to carry off or take a bite out of a human. They will bite in self-defense, in which case they are not venomous, and the only result will be a big red spider bite. As mentioned before, they do cling if picked up, and will most likely bite, making a close-up Huntsman encounter a frightening and potentially painful one, but ultimately not life-threatening.

IRM's NOTE: Oh yeah.. don't get bitten like I have. These buggers draw blood and hang on tight. Painful? Yeppers!!! My dads mate puts them in his mouth! Crazy Bugger!!!

Get This Though!

Despite the lack of perspective in the Huntsman photo, the Huntsman averages much, much larger, anywhere from 4 inches to 1 foot across.

Linky

WTF? One Foot across!!!

IRM

[edit on 5/10/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
When I was a child my auntie sat on the toilet and felt something touch her behind. She jumped up, turned around, and there was a snake sitting there in the water. We think it crawled through the sewer pipes.

Nice one.
A few years ago my grandma found a baby dugite (killer snake in WA) in her outside dunny (toilet). My dad went round to catch it and put it in a giant glass jar. The thing just sat up in the jar the whole time smacking against the glass to try to get at us. We dropped it off at the zoo and let them do their thing with it.

god I love our killer animals. I just dont like finding them in my bedroom. Hmm.. the last one was a centipede that ran across my foot.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I'd love to come down under for an Ashes tour, but to be honest i get freaked out enough by our British non-venomous (and non-big) spiders, so i would probably cack my pants if i ever came across a huntsman.

Oz sounds crazy though. Is there another country with as much stuff that can kill you? No wonder we used it as a prison for 200 years!

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   

.. amazing these magnificent creatures were killed to extinction by the early settlers... ugh.. time machine please thanks.

[edit on 5/10/2009 by Ha`la`tha]

Or were they??

After my father and I had a sighting of a very large feline-like creature near his farm in the New South Wales Table Lands, I have a kept a more open-mind about what creatures could be out there.

An extension of this experience is that I belive intuitively that Thylacine is still on the Tasmanian island. However, whether or not it's gene pool is sufficient to avoid extinction is sadly, another matter.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TerribleTeam2

Originally posted by C0bzz

Except for the good old Vicco Police Force. You know its true.

Had and heard only good experiences with them. Maybe that's because I'm on the Mornington peninsula so there's very litte crime here.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

You made me not want to visit Australia now

I'm quite happy here in old blighty

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by CRB86

More often than not, victims of our 'special' wildlife only come to grief when trying to either catch or dispatch the buggers. The golden rule is leave them alone and they'll leave you alone - mostly.

Prolonged wet weather induces the huntsman spiders to come inside out of the rain but their natural habitat is outside under the bark of trees where they're useful in cleaning up large amounts of insects. They're actually stars of the cinema having played the swarm of spiders in the film 'Arachniphobia'. They are very fast and aggressive but it's mostly all show and I've even had a large one chase me (territorial thing I think).

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Steve Irwin was the greatest. And his spirit still lives on. I once saw one of his shows where he was checking out a monkey colony in Madagascar and upon seeing one animal with a damaged eye (humans were wrecking these creatures habitat)he was very moved, almost to tears. It was sad and you could see the saddness all over his being. Needless to say it was very moving to me. His person and spirit have never left me and never will. When I saw this thread I had to reply. Thank you

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I've had my sister run out of the toilet half naked. This was because while she was sitting on the toilet seat she pulled down the toilet paper roll and there was this huge wolf spider lying on it with all its babies. I had to block the door and use a vacuum cleaner to get rid of it. It was quite scary just looking at it.. but it would of been even worse to be surprised like that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join