It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curfew Laws

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Curfew laws on the youth are down right oppressive. Who is the government tell families when there kids should be inside?

Now I am 17, turning 18 in just a few days. Right now it is illegal for me to take a walk down the street any time after 11:30.

How could taking a walk or even driving to a local convenience store be illegal?

I think it is ridiculous that in a matter of a few days I magically earn this right to be out doors at night.

Since the laws don't effect people for a long amount of time - no one seems to care. But I would never want a cop calling me saying they have my kid out past "curfew". PARENTS should be the one setting the curfew - not the law.

I think these law are in place to give a early on fear of cops to kids.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/52ab789d4b85.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 10/4/2009 by mnmcandiez]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Once you have a few vehicles broken into you'll understand.

NOTHING good happens after midnight.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
No, that is making the assumption that only the people under the age of 18 commit crimes.

With that thinking it should be illegal for ANYONE of any age to be outside after a designated time.

INNOCENT until proven guilty - not the other way around

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
The laws are in place to curb crime. Period. In a few days you can go streaking at 2:45 am if you like, so relax.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Once you have a few vehicles broken into you'll understand.

NOTHING good happens after midnight.

everything good happens after midnite...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Only a sellout backward country like the USA has such laws. The rest of the civilized countries in the world do not need garbage laws like that because their Governments have more important things to worry about than imprisoning their youth against their will.

"NOTHING good happens after midnight."

There you go - this is the kind of Neanderthal mentality which promotes and allows such Draconian laws to thrive.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
When I was under 18 i'd go out on the town, hell all us skaters thought it was the best time to rip up the town.

We didn't graffitti or do stupid stuff.

We just had access without people to the big stair sets

It's not really a big deal.

Hell for the longest time, the lifeguard wouldn't let me swim until half an hour has passed after eating.

I never brought food to the pool again!

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
It's not a big deal but yet it is horribly oppressive?

I personally don't pay any attention to the law and go out whenever I feel like it.

But it is assuming a whole group of people are GUILTY before they are innocent.

If there were a law on any other group of people such as this it would be seen as bigotry.

IT IS OPPRESSIVE and totalitarianistic

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

i agree...big brother needs to stay the hell out, but most people dont care...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

Maybe the "rest of the civilized countries" have parents that give a darn about their kids and are involved in their lives enough to keep them out of trouble.......not here buddy! There is NO GOOD REASON anyone can tell me that teenagers need to be roaming the streets of my neighborhood after midnight.

Heck, I know what I was doing around that age, come on, deny ignorance and use some common sense....Please.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Well, minors are stupid. They think they're not but they really are.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Don't the English have local curfew laws? I imagine whatever country you are from also has them in problematic areas.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Well i agree that curfews are ridiculous, but then i remember the things I used to (and still do) after normal people go to sleep and I understand why some towns find them necessary. Honestly don't think much of it. you must live in a really small town if cops cruise streets looking for minors to pick up.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Curfews are ridiculous and should be addressed with programs (sports, art, etc) for youths or parents should look for things for their kids to do so when 12 comes around they are either tired or doing something productive.

And speaking of skating, I think western culture has proven it is productive, although there are a lot of idiots in law enforcement that don't see it like that.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
TEENAGERS are still people. If a 17 year old wants to go for a walk at night time - WHO is the law to tell them that they cant?

I'm sorry if you aren't paying attention to your kids then that is a family issue- not a law one.

Unless you live in an inner city- youth crime really is not an issue.

It is ridiculous that half these people on the boards care about other daily "oppressions" but not these.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Aren't most, if not all the the curfews imposed on inner-cities, rather than the suburbs? I know DC has a curfew, yet where I live doesn't.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by eldard

Well, minors are stupid. They think they're not but they really are.

Well, black people are stupid. They think they're not but they really are.

Well, women are stupid. They think they're not but they really are.

Well, physically handicapped are stupid. They think they're not but they really are.

Well, latinos are stupid. They think they're not but they really are.

You might have been joking when you said that. But saying a group of people are stupid is no different than saying any other group is.

Except one is socially acceptable.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

Every suburb that I know of in Ohio has a curfew.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Man that cop video has just p1ssed me off big time, "the meaning of respect"..yeh cos a big guy like that pushing a kid on the floor is really "respect", and learning how to speak..maybe if he wasnt being shouted at by a power-tripping Cop then the kid would have co-operated. That Cop should know you get respect when you GIVE it too.

If I had been there, Cop or not, i'd had smashed this idiots face in and made him feel the dirt, that would show this punk-ass Cop what respect is when he'd be fearing for his life.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

If that video made you mad, take some time and watch this one.

Its infuriating.
The Largest Street Gang in America

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join