It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stores running out of goods? No Credit

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk
There is an owner-op who used to live just down the road from me. He called me a couple weeks ago. He had just walked from Indiana to Knoxville trying to get home. He lost both trucks he had, and had to leave everything he owned except what he could carry on his back behind.

OOIDA has been trying to get a law passed that states a fuel surcharge must be passed on to whoever pays the fuel. Apparently they haven't had much success thus far.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Actually, you might want to start shopping around. I am finding more and more that WalMart does not have the best price anymore. Sav-A-Lot beats them hands down on groceries, and Dollar General usually beats them on anything else. Target is about the same on movies and CDs, and has a lot better selection. Yard sales are great places for clothing, and I'm seeing a lot of yard sales now.

I don't buy much from Walton any more. It's been a downhill race for them since Mr. Sam died.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I do shop around. There are things cheaper at dollar tree, dollar general, big lots, etc... If I'm not carrying perishables I can plan my route to save fuel, but otherwise the fuel cost plus time from dropping off perishables then getting small amounts of non perishables is what drives up some of the cost. Being in business for myself, I habitually factor all of that in to the cost of things.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Here in the UK I haven't noticed any shortages however I have noticed some really low priced items in the major supermarkets... it is clear that they are loss leaders to get people into the store just to buy that item in the hope that they will buy other items while in there too, but its clear they are making losses selling these items at those prices. Its normal for supermarkets to have loss leaders but there seems to be a huge increase in the number of them recently.

In my own business I have noticed that our main supplier, a huge company and the market leader in their field, have had stock shortages for the last couple of months but more so in the last couple of weeks. They have lead times of 2-4 weeks for most of their products which now seem to be being made to order rather than held in stock as before. This company sells precious metal items.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy

Albertson's is NOT a boutique grocery store, even after their fancy remodel. In fact it's in my opinion bottom of the barrel along with Krogers, Safeway, King Soopers, Schnucks etc. Dierbergs is a higher end grocery store. Vons is bottom of the barrel. Pavillions is ok. Whole Foods, Mother's Market, Wild Oats are "boutique" grocery stores. Along with Bristol Farms etc. I guess Im a grocery store snob but then again my cell phone is 10 years old and I don't have a flat screen t.v. Albertson's being 50-100 percent higher than WalMart is an exaggeration as well. 50% maybe but not 100%.

Oh and having lived out here in CA for the last two years and going back to the midwest you guys have some of the best grocery stores I've ever been in. Dierbergs is amazing!

Ok now that someone has come up and admitted to shopping at the faaaaancy grocery stores....I MUST ask you......

WHY?

All the food is produced by the same companies that sell to every other store (local companies and brands notwithstanding).

So why would you admit to paying at least double for the same crap?

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
SoCal here...I shop at Albertson's, Von's,99 cent Store, and (ugh) Wal-mart, because each is within 2 miles of me. I shop the sales items primarily, especially Von's meats. While I haven't noticed shortages exactly, some items have disappeared, a lot have been downsized for the same price (10 oz vs 11.5, same price), and periodically empty shelves, not whole aisles, but sections. The empty shelves are caused by supplier credit problems (I know, I asked), and the employees are being run ragged with overtime, because the stores are laying people off and not rehiring, again, I know because I asked. Try talking to some of the employees...most of them are bursting to tell someone what they're going through. Our small stores (mom&pops) are withering swiftly and disappearing fast. I expect an economic collapse sometime this winter, myself: our city and county government is laying off another 3K people next month to try to stem the red ink, and another corporate HQ is leaving town with ~1K high wage employees, small things perhaps, but the sandwich shops and coffee shop serving them will disappear this fall, taking down yet another tier of jobs with them. Even some bars are closing down for lack of customers.

Can't see a single thing that will stop the collapse.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I am not seeing this anywhere in my area. Things are "normal" and it seems no one is having any problems getting credit. The stores are just as full of items as at any other time.

Though I have heard that businesses do not expect Halloween sales to be as much as in previous years, and they do not expect Christmas sales to be as high as in previous years.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
reply to post by eradown

I am in the Southwest. Arizona.

Fry's has a major distribution center in Phoenix. There is probably a supply chain failure there. They receive truck's daily (I have delivered to that same location). Now Walmart has a Distribution center (been there many times) over in Buckeye (east of Phx), those store's are replenished by computer automatically. Most Walmarts receive loads daily or every couple of days, but remember those trailers hold only 44k (on average) of goods and an average Walmart probably burns through more than that. The Store Managers can add things that they need as well. SO, I would guess that it is just a regional issue.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Nothing is running out over here in Blighty!!

Christmas comes early

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Yes,it is obvious here in South Texas that things aren't being re-stocked as often.

Walmart employees are constantly rearranging the shelves to make them look full...many brand name items there are being replaced with their own brand.

The upscale HEB Plus grocery nearest me has reorganized the interior and most of the "good stuff" ie,organics and better foods are much reduced.There are more bulk paper products lining the back walls instead of food.Produce os becoming pittiful.

Everywhere I go it seems to be "less than" in terms of stock from a year ago...the department stores do NOT rotate stock very often,you see the same things for a long time in many places.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It would be good for a lot of Americans to have a little less. A little less food so they arn't so obese. A little less money so they don't squander it at Vegas slot machines. A little less money so they don't pay tax dollars to fund imperialistic wars. A little less money to buy expensive gas guzzling cars to screw up the environment. A little less would do a whole lot of good for the most greedy country on the Planet.

[edit on 5-10-2009 by Circle]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Last year from about late summer to the new year, there were sporadic shortages of basics. Especially bread, and things like rice, powered milk.

Last year at Sam's, I stumbled upon 25 lb. bags of Rice for less than twenty dollars. There was a cute little Vietnamese woman trying to pick one up, and couldn't. I offered to help her, and she accepted. Via conversation, I found out she had a family of six. I asked her how long one bag would last her. She said one month. That is a lot of rice consumption my friends...holy cow.

I was told, that during the 2007/08 year, the government was buying up surpluses and whole production runs of Freeze Dried Foods. Also for some reason, there was a severe shortage of the material needed to produce "cans" for food packaging. Thus, a lot of grain/produce was sold off to foreign markets. Wheat was in short supply.

Right now, all fresh produce is in abundance. Many "sales specials" are going on offering things like canned vegetables, 10 for $10, or pastas 5 for $5...

I have found bottled water by the case, 16.9 oz X 24 ea. for $6.oo
At Sam's and Cosco, I have been able to buy cases ( 12 ea x 28 oz.) of Bushes baked beans for $ 12.00 That is a dollar a can! Cheap! I also buy cases of other things as well.

Since I am retired, we have the time to wonder around the various retailers looking for bargains. We also use coupons when and where we can.

At a local discounter that sells odd lots of things that they can get cheap...we'll find laundry and toiletry supplies at such low prices, we have bought whole shelves of goods. When you can get a 1.32 gal jug ( 170 oz. ) of laundry detergent for $3.oo ea, I'll buy 10 of them at a time. It lasts over a year.

Right now the getting is good...and there are great deals to be had. If you have a family, you have to HUNT the deals down. It is expensive to feed a family of four today...every dime counts.

Three weeks ago, at Gander Mountain sporting goods, they had 70 round bandoleers of .308 ammo on sale for $30.oo ea. The production date was 1987. I bought seven of them, stuffed them into an surplus ammo can,( $4.00 ) and shoved it on the shelf with all the other ammo I have. The brass shell cases of the .308, is bright and shiny. No spots.

The wife told me sternly; " I think you have just about enough ammunition to last a life time!" If she only knew!

They ( GM ) also had other ammo on clearances...the crowd of men grabbing up everything was unbelievable. I was lucky I got what I did.
They were selling Russian Nagant Pistols for $135.oo ea. They sold out in less than an hour. I missed out on them. Dammit!

If and when the cost of Diesel goes up, expect massive shortages where things aren't grown, and are a long ways from the warehouses.

You have to watch the local papers, and fliers. Also, find the time, to shop for deals. Spend less time in front of the boob tube!

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Circle

I'm sorry, what reality are you living in?

A little less food so they arn't so obese.

I stand 6'-2" and weigh about 180.

A little less money so they don't squander it at Vegas slot machines.

I have never vacationed in Vegas. The only time I have been there was when I was driving a truck through. The only time I played slot machines was when I stopped in West Wendover NV one time and decided to blow one roll of quarters just to see what the fuss was all about. I still don't know what the fuss is all about. The thing eats quarters; big deal.

A little less money so they don't pay tax dollars to fund imperialistic wars.

Not paying taxes over here means a one-way trip to jail. Are you asking me to go to jail for you?

A little less money to buy expensive gas guzzling cars to screw up the environment.

I have one running vehicle right now: a 1999 Saturn I bought second-hand for my daughter to use for college transportation. I can't afford to buy another car or to even fix my own right now because I don't have enough money.

A little less would do a whole lot of good for the most greedy country on the Planet.

A little less ignorance would do a whole lot of good for a poster calling himself Circle.

Sorry to the rest of you, but I get soooooo tired of these holier-than-thou responses...

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Circle
It would be good for a lot of Americans to have a little less. A little less food so they arn't so obese. A little less money so they don't squander it at Vegas slot machines. A little less money so they don't pay tax dollars to fund imperialistic wars. A little less money to buy expensive gas guzzling cars to screw up the environment. A little less would do a whole lot of good for the most greedy country on the Planet.

[edit on 5-10-2009 by Circle]

The assumption that Americans are fat because they eat too much was brought to you by the statists of the NWO. They actually are fat because diseases such as diabetes and hypothyroisidsm. Both of which may be caused by tainted vaccines. They can eat like starving Ethiopians and they will not lose weight. Killing Americans with poverty won't save you when the beast turns its greedy eyes on you.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
No, I think that Circle was on the right track...just didn't follow it all the way to the conclusion.

Less money to blow on foreign aid so other nation's of the world can step up and do the right thing for a change.

Less money to spend on foreign made goods so we can revitalize our own economy by both domestic production and domestic consumption by employing our own.

Less money to be a world solution to what should be taken care of by the country asking.

Less money to build up other nation's quality of living.

Less money. So complete isolation from the rest of the world would be just fine, right?
Just remember when the other nations send their collection agents under the banner of legitimate armies that the US has more guns, bombs, and other materials of war than any other single nation and quite a bit of the world combined...and we have proven again and again that we will use them with the least amount of provocation.

So who cares that we can pave over our ample land and only grow enough to sustain ourselves, surely not the rest of the world, right?
So if we are out of money, we wouldn't do anything rash or desperate, right? I mean the fact that a number of the world representatives with the UN reside within our borders wouldn't be a potential ransom situation, would it?

A leaner, meaner America that isn't distracted by luxuries and television wouldn't be seen as a problem to other nation's that have been rebuilt and built upon our help in the past, would it? I mean Americans are pretty forgetful after all, since we have those distractions and full bellies right now, right?

Sorry to say Circle, but America is more than just "cowboy diplomacy" and "hollywood lifestyles". Some of us actually have to face harsh realities in our day to day lives. Like right now, I am looking at the possibility of being diagnosed as permanently disabled because I don't have the money correct a nerve problem that affects my right leg. Work? Hell, I might not be able to walk in a year. But so long as I have less money and the inability to be independent makes the rest of the world a safer place, right?

Right...

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Well, I'm in N.E. Louisiana and we went to Wally-world this past weekend to buy button-up long-sleeve shirts and fleece-lined jackets for my 2 sons. Our Wal-Mart has absolutely NO winter shirts or jackets for my 3-yr old and no long-sleeve shirts for my husband or 14-yr old son! It's October and rainy and chilly here. They usually begin putting out winter clothing in August here. The gocery aisles were definitely lacking, all except for Halloween candy, there was plenty of that! The prices at Wal-Mart have risen alot here in the last year, as well. I use Dollar General and Fred's in my hometown for everything but Refrigerated items, as we only have one grocery store, Brookshire's, and since they are a monopoly here, they charge outrageous prices.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy

Albertson's is NOT a boutique grocery store, even after their fancy remodel. In fact it's in my opinion bottom of the barrel along with Krogers, Safeway, King Soopers, Schnucks etc. Dierbergs is a higher end grocery store. Vons is bottom of the barrel. Pavillions is ok. Whole Foods, Mother's Market, Wild Oats are "boutique" grocery stores. Along with Bristol Farms etc. I guess Im a grocery store snob but then again my cell phone is 10 years old and I don't have a flat screen t.v. Albertson's being 50-100 percent higher than WalMart is an exaggeration as well. 50% maybe but not 100%.

Oh and having lived out here in CA for the last two years and going back to the midwest you guys have some of the best grocery stores I've ever been in. Dierbergs is amazing!

It all depends on the items. I have the luxury of having 4 nice grocery stores within a mile of my home. I visit them all to buy their specials. Target is 5 miles. Farmers market is 10 miles. I frequent those less often. I will give my evaluations below. I have not noticed shelves being any emptier. I do notice WalMart changes their items and selections frequently. It must be because they only buy when the discounts are huge. They don't carry it again until they can get that same deal or better. Never give Walmart your best price because you can be assurred they will squeeze you more down the road. That why you stop seeing things. They can't afford to sell to WalMart. at the prices WalMart demands.

Albertson's by far has the best deals on meat. They always have chicken of some sort on sale for half of what you can buy it for otherwise. Usually either T bones, ribeyes, strips on sale every week for $5.99/lb. (once a week treat.) Albertsons also has the best selection of wild, fresh frozen fish. They also have some good deals occasionally on packaged and canned foods. If an item is not on sale Albertsons is expensive.

WalMart Neighborhood Market is a pretty good all purpose shopping place. They do have limited items, so another stop is always neccesary. Like I said above you can't always count on the same item being there the next time. I do find that overall their prices are the lowest by a good amount. Brand names are priced at the same level as generic at other stores. Their house brands are even cheaper. I can usually get 24 half litre bottles of nestles water for $3.99 or similar (It was 20 for $3 last week). The meat is pretty good and they have a decent amount of frozen fish though Albertson's is better. The Wal Mart bakery items are the best tasting and best priced of all the stores. Produce, don't waste your money.

Publix is the upscale grocery in the area. They have pretty much everything but not much in the way of specials and such. Their meat is expensive, even on sale. They have great fried chicken and lemonade in the deli. (We live on Arnold Palmers). The lemonade is cheaper than making it yourself and made with sugar and not HFCS. So we pretty much go to publix for lemonade. While there we will pick up what we weren't able to get at the other stores and buy any worthwhile specials. We also use the Publix Pharmacy, but may look to change that. Publix Deli meat is excellent though expensive.

Winn-Dixie we don't frequent much. They have limited produce and their meat, while not so expensive, just never looks good to me. Rarely do they anything on special that I buy. They do have propane which may be the only reason I ever go there.

I like Target, although they are not always so cheap. Their house brand is excellent especially their pizzas and potato chips. I think their meat is the best, although expensive. They also have natural chicken at a relatively decent price. I have had good luck with their produce. While selection is limited at Target, I think the quality of food is better than the rest. For some reason we always spend the most money at Target, so we don't go there much. We do watch for the Meat sales which make a little longer trip worthwhile. Target Deli is also good and reasonably priced.

The Farmers Market is our favorite place. All the fruits and vegtables are better tasting and about half the price than at any of the grocery stores. It is out of the way, but when he have something else to do in the area we definitely stop and load up. We can usually get all our vegetables and fruits for 10-12 days for about $30.

Given the economy we no longer shop at Whole Foods or the like although we have them located reasonable distances from our home.

Bottom line is that we take all our meals in our home, We spend less than $100 wk for 2 and eat pretty dang good. Our bills usually come out to about 50% of regular price including some coupons, which we aren't very good at, but getting better. I feel real sorry for folks who live where they are limited to one store, makes me feel real fortunate. I rarely have to pay the prices that any of you have posted on here.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesII
reply to post by amatrine

Amatrine:

As I see it, why would a bank want to lend out money at 3% for a while or possibly 30 years, when it is better to wait a year to lend out the same money at 2 points higher or 5%?

ALL BANKS ARE HOARDING CASH.

The new FDIC insurance. Guess who is paying for the higher premiums to cover he 250,000 limit; even if you don't have that kind of money?

And then there's Credit cards - They are at an all time high in terms of inteest rates! Credit lines are chopped down, and rules tightened so as to cause a customer to trip up more easily

Yup, when was the last tme you received a ZERO interest rate credit card application? I can't remember. At least one year ago.

The economy is still failing, and the answer is for the banks to lend out money.

It's that simple.

-EyesII

That is absolutely not the the answer, we do not need more debt in the system, that is why we are in this mess, too much debt. Yes the banks are being much more selective on loaning out money, partially because they need money to deal with the losses on their existing loans. This is a good thing, they should pay for their losses not the taxpayer.

But don't let the Obama administration fool you the banks are not opposed to making loans that's how they make money. They are opposed to making loans they do not think have a good chance they will get paid back on.

There is a shortage of credit worthy individuals and businesses that want loans now, because most are already in too much debt, and the the rest are smart enough to know now is not a good time to be taking on more debt.

Your right they are not sending out any more 0% credit cards because they are losing tremendous amounts of money on all those cards they have already issued. 10-14% charge off rates, mostly due to the unemployment. That is why the rates are up, not just because the banks are greedy they are trying to make up for the losses by getting the paying customers to make up for them.

The banks are being forced to act more responsibly, what you seem to want is for them to continue to loan money to people who cant afford to pay it back. The only thing that will turn the economy around is for the amount of debt to decrease - not increase.

I know this post is somewhat off topic, but that statement was just so wrong I felt I had to respond.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Just to chime in, I'm deep in Northern British Columbia and I have noticed this same issue. I believe that it isn't really an issue of lack of credit though - for me what I notice is that *bargain* goods are a lot more popular. The stores need to adjust to order more of the cheap, no-name stuff. Honestly, people are starting to get wise and pinch their pennies.

Of course there could be an exchange of 30-06 over what is left on the shelves after October 25th...

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

Well you're missing part of this. Stores were built and arranged according to the amounts of good they were selling and were forecast to sell. There has been a fundamental change in the US consumer, and people are buying drastically less. So yes the store order less, and there will be empty shelves. Concerning them buying or not on credit, it is not stated whether or not the lack of credit was a decision of the store, bank, or distributor. The store may have decided not to buy on credit anymore. Or the bank may have cut of their line of credit. Or the distributor could have changed it's policy and now requires immediate payment.

Regardless of what the case, this is alerting if things do in fact end up getting worse and people want to stock up on goods. A lack of goods will case panic and paranoia and cause the very thing they are fearing is happening, even is originally that was not the case.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join