It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet forum moderation, a webwide conspiracy of sorts?..

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by KAKUSA
So do you feel that there would be a conflict of interest if a moderator for a web site forum topic was a nationallity whose nationallity was against the topic they were moderating ...???

Good question. We have had to remove staff in the past because of bias. That goes from Forum mods all the way up to Admin. I will not name names because they can't defend their poor actions. As I said previously, the T&C is the only rule by which we run the board. And it works.

To me it seems (Some Web Site Moderators) moderate more certain forum topics then others, is this because of thier preferences or Loyalties?
They say they can't be everywhere but they sure seem to be on certain (unmentionable) topics on certain (Unnamed) websites...Your Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

What kind of baiting question is that?

I'm simply pointing out a flaw in Intrepid's argument for the supreme rule of the T&C.

In fact, I think your post was off topic and should be removed! I am biased though! I'm kidding of course.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by KAKUSA

As far as I know each mod is assigned a specific board to moderate more heavily than orders in order to more effectively view traffic.

That would be why some are more active in some threads than others.

Am I right about that?

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by yadda333

Just about every post on here is off-topic. Read the OP again. ATS is not the topic... ALL discussion boards with moderators are the topic.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I can say with no guilt that some moderators on this site are biased. I have tried to create a thread highlighting this but the thread was closed. I also tried to add my evidence to another thread (as directed) but this was since deleted... even though I gained permission from the OP of the thread to add my evidence.

I am not bitter, I am not complaining, in fact the experience taught me a lot.

Oh, just to add, I am not paranoid.

Edit: If I have to refer to other boards.. then yes of course.. there are so many forums that biased moderators will crop up every now and then.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by and14263]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

If most of the posts on here are off topic, then why hasn't a Mod removed said posts? Because the Mod has made a judgement call on which ones should not be removed?

You have only proven the point that Moderation is biased by its very nature. Anything that involves subjectivity will be biased.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by yadda333

It is replies like that which make it so we cannot discuss these things objectively on ATS.

You are pretty much forcing a mod to come in and do an action in which you are complaining about. You are inviting your own dilema.

This whole thing is off topic, since it was not made about ATS mods and has turned into a thread about ATS mods.

Now they are just defending themselves, resulting in the Off Topic posts by the mods themselves.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by KAKUSA
To me it seems (Some Web Site Moderators) moderate more certain forum topics then others, is this because of thier preferences or Loyalties?
They say they can't be everywhere but they sure seem to be on certain (unmentionable) topics on certain (Unnamed) websites...Your Thoughts?

Easy question. Forum mods are assigned to certain forums. That goes with the territory. Thus they have more interaction in those forums. As I alluded to earlier, if a mod is biased to there moderation they are removed.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

My interpretation is that this thread was made about Forum Mods in general.

Internet forum moderation, a webwide conspiracy of sorts?..

I've noticed on nearly every moderated discussion system online there is huge bias dished out by moderators.

The OP includes ATS Mods.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
This whole thing is off topic, since it was not made about ATS mods and has turned into a thread about ATS mods.

Now they are just defending themselves, resulting in the Off Topic posts by the mods themselves.

~Keeper

It happens man, on a regular basis. Goes with the territory on a conspiracy site. Some members have a problem with "authority". They don't see the difference in authority and the mods being facilitators of the board. Once they see that they know we are just working for them. We don't take it personally. Hard at times but we do. It's those that keep harping that are a problem. They don't realize that we are on THEIR side as well and that is frustrating.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by yadda333

If most of the posts on here are off topic, then why hasn't a Mod removed said posts? Because the Mod has made a judgement call on which ones should not be removed?

Some of the posts contain a kernel of content that are on topic to the OP. The ones that are totally off-topic have been removed or will be at some future time. Moderators can't be in every thread simultaneously.

On judgement calls, yes... that is all we are have when we see a post that calls into question a rule from the T&C's. It may not be perfect, but it beats bots.

I'm certain that there exist websites without moderators somewhere, but I think I'd prefer one that has them. Your choice, it seems, is to tarry where you will. Here, there be rules and those who enforce them. As I said, you became a member by agreeing to abide by those rules.

You have only proven the point that Moderation is biased by its very nature. Anything that involves subjectivity will be biased.

My bias is constrained by the rest of the staff. If I did something out of line, I'd know about it quickly. If I persisted, I would no longer be a moderator... it's that simple. Consensus rules and it seems to work quite well.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by reasonable

This is sounds like a dig at ATS staff.

Read the T and C's.
If you comply and then have a greivance log a complaint.
Humans are moderating this forum, not a bot. They try their best to work within the parameters set for them, but they do have different opinions.
If you find you are being unduly targetted, then raise your case through the proper channels. You are providing content for a site so you are valued and am sure it will be investigated. But make sure you have your t's crossed, because creating a paper trail on a 'harrasment' type charge should have valid proof.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by zazzafrazz]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join