It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will California become America's first failed state?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I think that for California time has run out. They are starting to make drastic moves but I think that a goverment shutdowm has to take effect. Pay was necessary for education and security if they do that and close the rest for periods of time.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
wow, i hope not.
i'm here in sunny ca, trying to live out the american dream.
its getting uglier and uglier here though.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
yep to uglier and uglier.

BTW, did I mention that I'm a realtor listing foreclosures? Upfront and personal with the heartache in Ca.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Here's an update. The Governator is going to have Freeze some more assests.

www.bloomberg.com...
Already in the red after ten weeks into the new budget.

Sorry can't help myself.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Here ya' go:

Look at who western society CHOOSES to make wealthy. Actors and Actresses? Artisans of any type? Fiction Writers? *gulp!* Politicians and Bureaucrats?

These folks provide society with no fundamental product of necessity. I am not bashing art in any way. I just don't think you should be wealthy because of it. It is not important to existance.

All of those things are HOBBIES like blogging and posting on conspiracy sites.
Not careers, jobs and occupational choices helping society.

If you want to pay those who contribute the most to society in any part of the world what they are worth, then by golly the following folks should have wealth beyond measure:

Farmers
Ranchers
School Teachers
Fire Fighters
Good Cops
Loggers
Miners
Fisherman
SOLDIERS

Most of these folks risk their lives on a daily basis to provide you with the comforts you enjoy on a daily basis. Without them, we would be lost. Who the hell cares if Michael Jackson, Farrah, David Carrad..........Oh Gawd. It sickens me.

Do your art on the side and get a real job and contribute to society as a whole.

California is the home of the American Illusion. Get something (too much) for nothing.

If we paid real folks what they were really worth and put the artsy fartsy folks back into the work force doing real work like everybody else, we wouldn't have a dang economic crisis. Demi Moore would be way sexier with calloused hands! Put Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh in Carhartts and Dickies! Make George Lucas straddle a John Deere sun up to sun down.

Man this country makes heroes out of the stupidest archtypes.

Bust yer a$$ not yer chops!

I am a lifelong incredulous California. Can't wait to get out and be with the normal folk whom like myself make a living busting their backsides in the dirt, sweat, pain and any weather Ma Nature throws at ya'.

I've bucked barley and hay, I was a Wildland Firefighter, I did logging for 6 years and now I am in Law Enforcement. I'm Irish. What can I say. It's in the blood. In my family we are Cops, Firefighters and Priests. I've been two of the three.

Sorry about the rant. My two cents.

Cheers,

Erik

[edit on 22/OctpmMon, 12 Oct 2009 13:21:58 -0500/08 by redwoodjedi]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I have to agree with you totally. This is the predicament of both federal and state colossal governments. Sadly it does not look as if none of them are willing to shrink and manage which leaves me to wonder if it's not purposely planned.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

The California voters area bunch of ******. They approve of things like the building of a magnetic super-train, vote out gay marriage, but whenever there is something that will raise taxes they shut it down. Plus, in the '80s several laws were passed that make it practically impossible to raise taxes today. With disasters such as earthquakes, fires, and droughts, plus a staggering debt, California really needs to find a way to raise some serious cash.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
As California goes, so does the rest of America follows.

I think it should break up into a couple of different states, let the farmers and Norcal to themselves.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylee
As California goes, so does the rest of America follows.

I think it should break up into a couple of different states, let the farmers and Norcal to themselves.

I absolutely agree!! We and Southern Oregon in the not so distant past had petitioned to be the State of Jefferson. We still call ourselves as such. 'Tis a beautiful land full of resources and uncrowded beauty with many meandering rivers and green valleys and arguably some of the most scenic coastline on the planet.

Cheers,

Erik

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Yo Erik, more totally sick news Bro.

California lost more than five times as many jobs in September as it did the month before, signaling that the state's employment woes continue despite a budding economic recovery.

www.latimes.com...

Jez, this with all the inmates being released. Cali's going Wild West on us, except with registered bullets.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Some more horrible 3Q numbers but who can you believe these days....

California Sending out Approximately 475,000 Notice of Defaults for 2009 yet Overall Foreclosures Declining. Shadow Inventory, Q3 Defaults, Toxic Loans. The State of the National Housing Market.

www.doctorhousingbubble.com... nventory-q3-defaults-toxic-loans-the-state-of-the-national-housing-market/

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
www.doctorhousingbubble.com... ns-tax-revenues-collapse-and-unemployment-and-underemployment-at-23-percent/

thought I would add this link for anyone who still might be reading this thread. Fat Lady hasn't sung yet folks! Or maybe it's that she's still singing???

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
California to withhold a bigger chunk of paychecks

Starting Sunday, cash-strapped California will dig deeper into the pocketbooks of wage earners — holding back 10% more than it already does in state income taxes just as the biggest shopping season of the year kicks into gear.

Technically, it’s not a tax increase, even though it may feel like one when your next paycheck arrives. As part of a bundle of budget patches adopted in the summer, the state is taking more money now in withholding, even though workers’ annual tax bills won’t change.

Think of it as a forced, interest-free loan: You’ll be repaid any extra withholding in April. Those who would receive a refund anyway will receive a larger one, and those who owe taxes will owe less.

But with rising gas costs, depressed home prices and double-digit unemployment, the state’s added reach into residents’ regular paycheck isn’t sitting well with many.

More at source:
www.latimes.com...

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join