It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Earthquake Drill in California October 15, 2009

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I came across an event on the citizens corps website called Great Shakeout 2009 for CERT's who will be participating in this 'mock' disaster.
www.citizencorps.gov...

www.shakeout.org...
At 10:15 a.m. on October 15, 2009, millions of Californians will participate in the largest earthquake drill ever!

The purpose of the ShakeOut is to practice how to protect ourselves during earthquakes, and to get prepared at work, school, and home.

www.shakeout.org...

At 10:15 a.m. on October 15, 2009, millions of Californians will practice Drop, Cover, and Hold On. Many people and organizations will also practice other aspects of their emergency plans.

Last year, nearly 5.5 million Southern Californians participated in the 2008 ShakeOut drill. The Great California ShakeOut will now be held statewide on the third Thursday of October each year.

Register and we can reach our goal of 10 million participants in 2009!

EMERGENCY MANAGERS: ShakeOut will not be coordinated with an official emergency exercise in 2009, but agencies, organizations, cities, counties, and others are encouraged to plan their own activities to coincide with the statewide public drill (see the category list, below right).

2009 ShakeOut:
10:15 a.m. on 10/15!
Countdown to the ShakeOut:
11 days 18:33:24

[edit on 3-10-2009 by 12.21.12]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

5.8 million
Participants, and Counting!

Wonder what that means?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Heh sorta takes on a new light when you take a look at what their talking about in this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Maybe they know something.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Slightly ironic timing, considering the recent quakes elsewhere and the increase in activity in California.

No doubt this would have been in the planning for months, even years. But absolutely great timing, should sharpen the nerves and prepare people for it if something does come of this recent activity.

I was looking at RSOE last week and it was amazing to see all the activity around the world. I don't view it often, so have no frame of reference, (can't really tell what's considered "normal activity"). Perhaps it was just media coverage of the tragic events in other areas, but something certainly was telling me that the ground beneath me is not as safe as we all assume.

I believe there was even a small event in N.E. England. Very rare and unusual, but not enough to be felt.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by detachedindividual]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

According to the website. It is not the first drill, they had one last year also. But they are anticipating this year to be the largest earthquake drill ever.

5.8 Million participants and counting. Not sure what to make of that.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
Slightly ironic timing, considering the recent quakes elsewhere and the increase in activity in California.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by detachedindividual]

ironic? yes.

We can only hope the timing isn't the same as it was during the Federal emergency drills that were taking place during the 9-11 events that made it impossible for the government to intercept the planes that "caused" this world changing event.
Or that it isn't the same timing as the London subway attacks - that ironically happened during the time THEY were having the same emergency drills.

Just saying.

[edit on 5-10-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
hope the best for them over there one the west coast

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Look people, this is California we're talking about. Coincidental timing to be sure, but come on guy, not EVERYTHING is a conspiracy. With the high possibility of a major earthquake, I think it prudent and very responsible to be prepared. It would appear you'd prefer to have no contingency plan or training in place?

Nothing to see here other than people being/getting prepared for the eventual "Big One."

[edit on 10/5/09 by surfinguru]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
It's just a drill. Preparedness is not a conspiracy. Ask the people in New Orleans if they wish they had been better prepared for Katrina.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

I would like to agree. But I will reserve my right to do so until October 15.

Why?

Because I am watching the CERT's for possible false flag events.

One in particular. A project under Homeland Security and Northcomm to respond to a catastrophic event or dirty bomb using GPS where orders would be called out via remote and higher ranking military would be in safe areas, underground bunkers.

Lower ranking military and first responders and CERT which are citizens corps, so they are citizens would be given orders from safe facilities and instructed from remote military hq.

This could be after all, just a drill.

However, the CERT's are a big part of the NLE's under homeland security and FEMA.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
We took part in this last year...

And will again this year...

It's only a drill people...and let's hope it stays that way.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by happygolucky

Can you enlighten us?

What happened during the drill last year?

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

Sure...

First off - it's all volunteer - but I think you knew that.

At 10:15am you sound the alarm (be it the PA system, loudspeaker, mass email
) and direct everyone out of the building with assistance (we used our Activities committee - seemed fitting), and then do a roll-call.

Lasts about 20 minutes, though most stayed in the parking lot to sham from work...

For the most part, it's a joke as people would be barging down the stairs as opposed to an orderly fashion...the good part is they become aware of all the exits and as well as what is expected of them - which isn't much.

You can notify Red Cross and get your company name added to the list of local businesses that took part; yay...

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Earthquakes are fun, we are overdue for a large one. Believe it or not, many Californians enjoy them. I'm not worried yet.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
Earthquakes are fun, we are overdue for a large one. Believe it or not, many Californians enjoy them. I'm not worried yet.

Yikes. Don't say that.
Big earthquakes are not enjoyable.
All quakes have their moments if they don't hit you directly - where you get to see the earth move in a way that you never have - and the trees swaying in a creaking kind of science fiction manner -

BUT - and THIS is a BIG but.

No one wants to be in an earthquake.
They are frightening and many people stand to suffer.
Not a good thing.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by happygolucky

Cool thanks for sharing. Seems to be a pretty big event this year, we shall wait and see.

Are you going to participate this year?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
It's just a drill. Preparedness is not a conspiracy. Ask the people in New Orleans if they wish they had been better prepared for Katrina.

Just my 2-cents

Correct its just a drill. We do it every year, and its getting bigger and making news. I did them in school, 1-2 times a year.

Face the fact earthquakes are a part of life, quit trying to predict something that WILL happen.

new topics

top topics

join