It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives Revel In Obama's Olympic Bid Failure

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

I have to admit I am perplexed about Rio landing the games. I understand that South America hasn't yet hosted an Olympics and Rio is a party place and all...

But....Rio has some work to do before the olympics..

travel.state.gov...

CRIME: Crime throughout Brazil has reached very high levels. The Brazilian police and the Brazilian press report that the rate of crime continues to rise, especially in the major urban centers – though it is also spreading in rural areas. Brazil’s murder rate is more than four times higher than that of the U.S. Rates for other crimes are similarly high. The majority of crimes are not solved. There were rapes reported by American citizens in 2008.

Street crime remains a problem for visitors and local residents alike, especially in the evenings and late at night. Foreign tourists are often targets of crime and Americans are not exempt. This targeting occurs in all tourist areas but is especially problematic in Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador and Recife.

Caution is advised with regard to nighttime travel through more rural areas and satellite cities due to reported incidents of roadside robberies that randomly target passing vehicles. Robbery and “quicknapping” outside of banks and ATM machines are common. In a “quicknapping,” criminals abduct victims for a short time in order to receive a quick payoff from the family, business or the victim’s ATM card. Some victims have been beaten and/or raped.

The incidence of crime against tourists is greater in areas surrounding beaches, hotels, discotheques, bars, nightclubs, and other similar establishments that cater to visitors. This type of crime is especially prevalent prior to and during Carnaval (Brazilian Mardi Gras), but takes place throughout the year. While the risk is greater at dusk and during the evening hours, street crime can occur both day and night, and even safer areas of cities are not immune. Incidents of theft on city buses are frequent. Several Brazilian cities have established specialized tourist police units to patrol areas frequented by tourists. In Rio de Janeiro, crime continues to plague the major tourist areas (see separate section on Rio de Janeiro).

At airports, hotel lobbies, bus stations and other public places, incidents of pick pocketing, theft of hand carried luggage, and laptop computers are common. Travelers should "dress down" when outside and avoid carrying valuables or wearing jewelry or expensive watches. "Good Samaritan" scams are common. If a tourist looks lost or seems to be having trouble communicating, a seemingly innocent bystander offering help may victimize them. Care should be taken at and around banks and internationally connected automatic teller machines that take U.S. credit or debit cards. Very poor neighborhoods known as "favelas" are found throughout Brazil. These areas are sites of uncontrolled criminal activity and are often not patrolled by police. U.S. citizens are advised to avoid these unsafe areas. Carjacking is on the increase in Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Recife and other cities.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by maybereal11]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

I allways reval when political Coruption Fails, and if anyone thinks that this was not coruption, and that the city of chicago would not have given Obama A nice big Fat cut of the money made from the event your Blind.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
I hope other people find this as disgusting and loathsome as I do.

If it had been bush minor snubbed they would be calling for the bombing of Copenhagen or boycotting the Olympics...of that I have no doubt...and if liberal pundits would have been so tactless to have gloated like these idiots have they would have been outraged and called them traitors.

oh boo hoo, did Obama and his wife not get the Olympic games and some people have had a chuckle, oh dear, how will you cope

For crying out loud get a grip

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join