It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives Revel In Obama's Olympic Bid Failure

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Conservatives Revel In Obama's Olympic Bid Failure

www.huffingtonpost.com

Chicago's failed bid to host the 2016 Olympics in the first round of voting caps a week of conservative attacks against President Obama for personally stumping on his home city's behalf.

How the International Olympic Committee's rejection of the Windy City's bid affects the politics surrounding Obama's trip to Copenhagen remains to be seen. But in the immediate aftermath, it has provided ample fodder for Republicans to further accuse the president of having wasted his time, skirted his responsibilities, and acted as a crony for some of his big-moneyed donors.

Read more at: www.huffingtonpost.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-10-2009 by grover]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

+29 more 
posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Thanks for the invite, Grover, but I'll decline your invitation.

You can count me as one of those who take some satisfaction in seeing the GREAT MYSTERY fall flat on his ass, and in tandem with the Wirst Lady.

What an embarrassment.

Presidents are supposed to be above such things. Fifty dollar whores are more respectable.

This is yet another example that illustrates that it's Amateur Hour at the White House.

What a dumbass.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

And the Drudge Report wrote: The Ego has Landed

You have to admit Grove, this is a classic line from good ole' Matt Drudge.

Look, kicking someone when they're down is not right. Even to this most conservative bum like myself.

I do recall a tremendous amount of piling on and hate directed towards.uhm.uhm. oh what was his name...oh yeah, got it. George Dubya.

Not that turn around is fair play, I'm just suprised you didn't see this coming. Limbaugh was sooooo giddy today on his show and even though I like him, I think he was a little over the top as well.

Becker

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I hope other people find this as disgusting and loathsome as I do.

If it had been bush minor snubbed they would be calling for the bombing of Copenhagen or boycotting the Olympics...of that I have no doubt...and if liberal pundits would have been so tactless to have gloated like these idiots have they would have been outraged and called them traitors.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Actually, it is more than just conservatives who should revel in *snip* failed bid .

It should be everyone who gives a damn about this nation.

(2) Alterations of a politicians name, or any other high-profile political personality, for disparaging political effect is not allowed, including within member avatars and signatures.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2-10-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
There is a certain meanness in some people that makes them happy when others fail. When your president fails it effects the entire nation not just a single person or party for that matter.

I realized years ago that meanness is there in others but it is not present in me so it is hard to understand but it is something we have to face as a fact just the same.

If you have ever seen the movie "There Will be Blood" the main character is a good example of that nature taking over someone's life. In the end he is a bitter old man with no friends and no children or family. A fitting end for one so tragically misguided and mean spirited.

That is the way the entire Republican party will be if they do not change their hearts.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This just further proves that the Republicants will revel in anything that reflects negatively on Obama, even at the detriment of the country they are suppose to serve. Woohoo lets celebrate because we DIDN'T get the Olympic bid

+13 more 
link   
brazil is going to spend between 14 and 20 billion dollars on the 2016 olympics, do you think that is what our country needs right now? I would say i expect better from people but anyone who reads the huffington post dribble is a lost cause.

+8 more 
link   
So let me get this straight, you are angry that some of the press have said un-kind things about our president, so your reply is

*snip*

Kind of hypocritical, don't you think?

-E-

mod edit, snipped quote of deleted post

[edit on 2-10-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Man, the guy should have gone on vacation for a month or so instead. Don't we miss the days when we had a POTUS that would just bush-whack in the TX outback until the VP had something for him to say?

Darn this uppity POTUS and his ambitious efforts! How dare he take time away from running the country to go off and try to bring global attention to a heartland city - his core constituency - which is hit hard by the recession. How dare he try to get the Olympic games here on US soil to boost tourism revenue!

He needs a ranch in TX or a compound in ME to hang out at.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I am glad that Obama failed. We have committees who are to be stumping for Olympic cities. This isn't the job of the president. I never seen Bill or the two Georges do it. He needs to be focusing more on running the country that to trying to give Chicago a logistical headache

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

NO!!! Its a matter of national pride. Even though I don't care all that much for sports I always root for our team.

Its petty and mean spirited and crass.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gixxer
brazil is going to spend between 14 and 20 billion dollars on the 2016 olympics, do you think that is what our country needs right now? I would say i expect better from people but anyone who reads the huffington post dribble is a lost cause.

If the Olympics were a money pit, then why do countries lobby to host it? Sure they spend the money, but they make up on the flip-side. As a recent example, the Olympics have done wonders for China's image. Image is EVERYTHING!

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

To be fair: I couldn't care less if he lost the bid and will not be ridiculing him for it. He tried, he failed, it's small news. Let's move on. If they are criticizing him for that then it's sad. We have so many real issues we need to be dealing with that it is ridiculous if anyone is actually making a big deal out of his lost bid.

However, on the same token, that is what upsets me: It is such a small issue and we are in the middle of so many serious problems that I'm highly surprised he would have put being personally present to submit a bid for the olympics on the front of his to-do list.

As a typical American citizen would know, when you're in a bind, it's time to roll up your sleeves and get to the grindstone. You don't go on a week long beach vacation when your house is in danger of getting repossessed.

Likewise, I really do feel Obama's priorities were way out of line. If I'm upset about anything, it's not that he lost the bid- that's petty. It's the fact he was worried about adding 'the fluff' instead of cleaning 'the filth.' And that is what he needs to be focusing on.

I'm sorry to say this, Grover, but I have a feeling you'd have a completely different opinion and be in agreement if a conservative president did what he did during such a vital time in our country.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Well, here's what some in the UK are saying about obama's olympic debacle.

article

There has been a growing narrative taking hold about Barack Obama’s presidency in recent weeks: that he is loved by many, but feared by none; that he is full of lofty vision, but is actually achieving nothing with his grandiloquence.

Chicago’s dismal showing today, after Mr Obama’s personal, impassioned last-minute pitch, is a stunning humiliation for this President. It cannot be emphasised enough how this will feed the perception that on the world stage he looks good — but carries no heft.

It was only the Olympic Games, the White House will argue — not a high-stakes diplomatic gamble with North Korea. It is always worthwhile when Mr Obama sells America to the rest of the world, David Axelrod, his chief political adviser, said today. But that argument will fall on deaf ears in the US. Americans want their presidents to be winners.

Mr Obama was greeted — as usual — like a rock star by the IOC delegates in Copenhagen — then humiliated by them. Perception is reality. A narrow defeat for Chicago would have been acceptable — but the sheer scale of the defeat was a bombshell, and is a major blow for Mr Obama at a time when questions are being asked about his style of governance.

What an eloquent description of obama's situation from the UK's viewpoint.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I don't understand the OP
I guess it's a classic case of blind patriotism

if you want to root for your team, then be happy that it didn't happen.

He wanted to host the olympics thinking it would reignite america's image.
What's a stupid way to accomplish such a thing

What you don't understand is that your team WON by your president losing.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I was under the impression that Obama was the president of the entire country. Not the acting mayor and spokesmodel for Chicago. If Chicago had landed the olympics it would have cost the taxpayers of the United States many millions of dollars,that we really can't afford to throw away right now.
Maybe Obama's time would have been better spent trying to reduce the new jobless numbers,in the country that he is supposedly in charge of.

I don't particularly revel in his failure,as it does make this country look weak. I mean sending the annointed leader of the free world to beg for international crumbs,leaves a terrible taste in my mouth.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by daddyroo45]

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

So your going to use reverse humiliation to try to make Conservatives look bad for Obamas failure.
Just like the left uses reverse racism. You guys like to do that sort of thing huh?

It was a bad call and it got shot down, live with it and stop whining about it.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by grover

To be fair: I couldn't care less if he lost the bid and will not be ridiculing him for it. He tried, he failed, it's small news. Let's move on. If they are criticizing him for that then it's sad. We have so many real issues we need to be dealing with that it is ridiculous if anyone is actually making a big deal out of his lost bid.

I'm sorry to say this, Grover, but I have a feeling you'd have a completely different opinion and be in agreement if a conservative president did what he did during such a vital time in our country.

I agree with your first paragraph and you are totally wrong with the last one.

Its small and petty to gloat like these fools do so publicly and speaks more about their characters than it does about the president. But no I would not be gloating if the same thing had happened to bush minor...

Gloating and wishing ill on another are two character flaws that I do not have...though I do have plenty of others.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join