It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today in Washington DC ... [updated]

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I don't get it.

What do people get for honest work these days? Security?
What do people get for being shameless criminals? A promotion.

What do the greedy politicians and bankers spending dollars of our nation go to?
Our own slavery.

What happens if we don't pay the piper?
Public humiliation.

What do these people think they are going to have when they have everything and nobody else has anything? Not a whole hell of alot.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
What these people were just stealing her stuff?
Just brazenly walking up and taking stuff that was hers.... while she sat there weeping?

WTF man..?

That is just crazy...

I've never seen or heard of that before man...

Damn, that is just so harsh.

Good on you though SD.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Argh!

Your a good guy Sdogg, That's a sad sad side of the state of the world ~ what's the betting that the old woman gets a ticket or a fine for all the litter the vultures left?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I live in a very affluent county, one of the most affluent in the country. I don'
t contribute to that statistic btw.

But a few weeks ago someone piled a bunch of childrens belongings for donations. There were signs all over for amvets.

Yet, people were stopping in their large SUVS, digging through and taking stuff.

awful.

If it were me, I would of been sayin something to those people. Most likely my husband and I would of been in a brawl by the end of the day.

Adn we are poor, I am driving a crappy borrowed car. Yet we must have far more class then those people.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Wow this is aggravating. I can't believe people these days could do such a thing. I mean, murder is one thing. Homicide is one thing.. but stealing, out in the open, from an old woman crying and thinking nothing of it but "Hmm, this would look good on the kitchen counter", is freaking mind blowing.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I think you need to send these pictures to the Washington Post. Just maybe, I know I am only hoping, they can bring this too light, and bring some shame on these people.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Some people have no morals, and it's a shame that these kinds of people were even born. That poor poor woman. I hope that things turn out better for her, and that she can live the rest of her life in peace.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Oh dear God. I kind of needed a good cry, and that did it for me.

I have kind of a bad feeling about the United States and I think we've already seen it's fall, where, centuries from now, it is this time that people will look back to.

Good for you for trying to help out, and for giving those vultures a piece of your mind - that is just a terrible terrible disgrace.

So she was sitting there crying and they were rifling through her stuff, and fighting over it amongst one another right in front of her..? WTF?

Are you sure you're not exaggerating or twisting the scenario at all..?

Oh Lord God, please help us to see and understand your way, so that we can find our way.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

But please, it's not really about me, I hope you don't think I shared this to get kudos. It's really tearing me apart.

SD - anyone who has ever been in a similar position will understand - I've been there

you have to share

I've seen stuff that had me crying - or just in a rage - for days

need to get it out

also - always good to step up - and say you stepped up - makes it easier for others to do the same

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

On behalf of those that actually give a damn..

Thank-You

Wish I could shake your hand

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Argh!

Your a good guy Sdogg, That's a sad sad side of the state of the world ~ what's the betting that the old woman gets a ticket or a fine for all the litter the vultures left?

First of all, evictions in Washington DC are an extremely long process. The consumer is protected in the District of Columbia compared to the neighboring States of Maryland and Virginia.

There are scheduled notices, warnings, certified mail notices...and the police are always present during evictions.

They are to remain guard at the curb for ONE HOUR...then they leave.

As sad as this elderly lady's predicament is, where are the tears of sorrow for the poor schmuck landlord who didn't get rent payments for probable 8-12 months?

This lady had all kinds of time to get a storage bin, a rental truck, etc.. There are non-profit organizaitions that assist people like this that get caught up in the enforcement of landlord and tenant laws.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DCPatriot

From what I could gather this was a bank eviction.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I'm speachless.

I was going to say call a news station and get a report done, they'd pick it up espially as there is a little old lady.

But the deed is done, and it cant be changed, but perhaps they can be shamed...CCTV traffic lights around?

That poor woman has contributed to society for 70 years and thats the handshake we give her in the end.
I feel a strange sadness for these people also as they are oblivious to how morally lost and dispicable they are, that they require stealing from someone in hurting? Id rather go hungry myself then ever do that.

What a messed up country.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DCPatriot

As sad as this elderly lady's predicament is, where are the tears of sorrow for the poor schmuck landlord who didn't get rent payments for probable 8-12 months? This lady had all kinds of time to get a storage bin, a rental truck, etc.. There are non-profit organizaitions that assist people like this that get caught up in the enforcement of landlord and tenant laws.

please - spare me

life is not all even steven - and everyone's situation is not the same

when you're elderly, widowed, destitute - and all alone - incapable of knowing where to turn or what to do next - but still manage to do all the right things - then you can bitch about it

[edit on 10/1/2009 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
People are cruel. People are cold. How could they? I hope they locate some of her children, or siblings if she has any to rescue her from this injustice.
This really, really worries me. It's almost surreal to see that BMW with the trunk up, next to her things.

The only bright spot in this story is you.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
That's insane! You were probably her only bright spot in an otherwise very bleak day. Thanks so much for having the kindness to act so quickly and compassionately on her behalf. I'm not certain about D.C. but here in MD items on the curb are considered abandoned. Since she was there with her belongings it should have clued the vultures in to the fact they were NOT abandoned.

Maybe a new law needs to be passed that evicted items stay on the property for 24 hours and not at the curb so they have time to arrange for transportation and storage. Your story would be perfect for the local news along with the images.

Just breaks your heart.

S&F.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
That is absolutely disgusting, especially for something like that to happen here in the USA. In third world countries I could understand it, but not here. Scratch that, third world countries act more civilized than that.

Unfortunately as unemployment continues to rise and more people get tossed into the streets - and whatever other heinous thing is coming down the pike - this is going to become common-place. I just pray we as a society don't become complacent to this kind of behavior.

link   
get rid of money and scenes like this would end. Its ridiculous that we allow a lack of a piece of paper make someone suffer so much.

scarcity is fake and artificial. there is plenty of resources for everyone to live wealthy lifestyles. technology is advanced enough to free us from most labor tasks and create abundance of everything.

we shouldnt be surprised by the looters' behaviors. In a monetary society their behavior is sad but predictable. Its no different than Monsanto dumping toxic waste into a town's water supply to save money.

link   

That just absolutely disgusts me. They have no moral bearing, and evidently they have no shame. These are the pathetic excuses for our fellow citizens. They are the carrion of our society.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I have to believe that there was A time that these people would of done the right thing and tried to help her as SD did. Shame upon them.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join