It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Right vs. Left -- Which Side Are You On?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
There is no such thing as a typical anything...especially in the political spectrum.

I come to my political views from reasoning...and feeling. They are rooted as much in my intellect as my emotion...my faith and my education.

No one is a gross generality.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by grover]

You know you have to say that publicly.

But how do you really feel?

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
reply to post by Orion65

Lucky you to have such intellectual friends.

We now have a sample size of exactly one.

We'll need quite a few more tests to establish the trend I think we'll see.

I think the problem here is that you may have heard a few liberals start their sentences that way, and now it's ALL liberals, or most, or whichever way you're going with your generalization of this particular political party.

Anyone who makes assumptions and generalizations like that shouldn't be the one starting out their sentence with "I THINK....".

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orion65

reply to post by Orion65

I think the problem here is that you may have heard a few liberals start their sentences that way, and now it's ALL liberals, or most, or whichever way you're going with your generalization of this particular political party.

Anyone who makes assumptions and generalizations like that shouldn't be the one starting out their sentence with "I THINK....".

I used to live for 15 years in the SF Bay Area - a real liberal hotbed. So, maybe I even have a lot more experience with this than you do, and believe me I've heard way more than a just few people say this..

My experience has been totally different than yours, but just as valid a sample and just as legitimate.

All that says is that with a sample size of 2, we have a tie.

[edit on 10/2/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orion65

reply to post by Orion65

I used to live for 15 years in the SF Bay Area - a real liberal hotbed. So, maybe I even have a lot more experience with this than you do. My experience has been totally different than yours, but just as valid a sample and just as legitimate.

All that says is that with a sample size of 2, we have a tie.

[edit on 10/2/2009 by centurion1211]

Fair enough but hey, I've lived in Oregon, now in WA, previously in SoCal. I've definitely met a lot of liberal people from generally liberal places. Maybe the liberals in the SF Bay area have their own lib-speak.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

That is what I know.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Well, I too am a conservative and think many liberals' opinions are based too much on their feelings......... HOWEVER, I not think most of the left is that way. I did like your list though, it does point out many of the backwards policies that have come from many on the left side of American politics. Of course, as Grover pointed out, many lefties don't agree with many of those things.

What I have noticed is that many times people identify with one party or ideology because of one or two issues that are most important to them. So they actually may be mostly of the other side, but their passion for a certain issue makes them identify with the party that supports that position. I'll give you an example; someone one is mostly conservative, but is pro-abortion so they vote Democrat. Not saying this is right or wrong, just that it explains alot of the divergence.

Centurion, take this test and post your result:
Political Compass Test

Here's my result:

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by johnny2127

I agree with you almost 100% ..... I know a lot of people that feel very strongly about he abortion issue to the extent that they compromise all of the other issues that are likely to affect the county as a whole in a negative way and vote a straight GOP ticket..... I think that you are wrong to think that anyone is pro abortion because the issue is about choice and if the GOP was genuinely pro life thy would view sending our lower income young people off to foreign lands to kill and die as a form of retro active abortion.... Don't assume that pro choice means pro abortion... Like so many of the issues that are illegal, abortions were and will be performed regardless if it is illegal or not and if they are there is going to be under ground operations charging inflated prices that only financially prosperous women will be able to afford.... And the sons and daughters of people that are not able to prosper will still be sent off to kill and die.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
In simplest terms right wingers put themselves first and rig whatever necessary to ensure they come first.. damn the less fortunate. Left Wingers put others first and rain on the rights parade so to speak. Right = me me me Left = everyone everyone everyone

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by reasonable

That is about right. Conservatives however are more thoughtful generally speaking.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
With such a need to identify with the most extreme side of either of the labels of Conservative or Liberal and not being able to fault or question positions labelled by, the side that is chosen as your identity I can see why we refer to our country as America minus the three words United States Of ....... Those three words should be replaced by "Damned Fools Of".

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

good tip to look at: maybe it's about the people working in the political parties, not about ideas. political views are thought to and are made up so as to get better things for people, except when some find the way to make it work for their personal profit.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Left wing.
If there had been involvement with the economy and stock markets, then we would have something more constant and unlikely to cause recession.
Unlike this grahzny market-led system we're stuck with.
The market led system has vast implications too numerous to sum up here.
Best to make a thread about it to be honest. There probably is.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by hypervigilant
reply to post by johnny2127

I agree with you almost 100% ..... I know a lot of people that feel very strongly about he abortion issue to the extent that they compromise all of the other issues that are likely to affect the county as a whole in a negative way and vote a straight GOP ticket..... I think that you are wrong to think that anyone is pro abortion because the issue is about choice and if the GOP was genuinely pro life thy would view sending our lower income young people off to foreign lands to kill and die as a form of retro active abortion.... Don't assume that pro choice means pro abortion... Like so many of the issues that are illegal, abortions were and will be performed regardless if it is illegal or not and if they are there is going to be under ground operations charging inflated prices that only financially prosperous women will be able to afford.... And the sons and daughters of people that are not able to prosper will still be sent off to kill and die.

Sorry, it was just the choice of term. I wasn't making any sort of political statement about abortion at all. I don't mind whatever you want to call it. Pro-choice, pro-abortion, reproductive rights, etc... Either way you get my point. Many times people identify with one party or another because of one or two specific issues they feel passionately even if the majority of their beliefs align with the other party.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Right in the middle....with duel-handguns.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join