It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution and plants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
As I was sitting here, checking out various threads a thought popped into my brain. Its a little strange, but hear me out.

We all talk about the evolution of animals. What about the evolution of plants?

Some believe we evolved from the primordial ooze and how it was the beginning of all life. One cell into two and so on until an animal crawled out.

When and how did plants first come about? Obviously they couldn't have walked out of the ooze and multiply.

Were they here before the first animal walked out of the ooze?

How did they come into existense?

Like I said, its a bit of a strange question, but I get tired of seeing the same old evolution thread explaining how humans and other animals came to be.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by happygolucky

I did, but it being late I probably worded it wrong.

All I got was a bunch of religous web sites trying to disprove evolution.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I'm not going through all the links to find a suitable answer to my question tonight. I went through the top 3 and none of them answered my questions.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
When and how did plants first come about?

First plants appeared on land around 434 Million years ago, in the Paleozoic era. Or at least that's what the fossil records show. How? By evolving from green algae, from which they inherited photosynthesis.

Obviously they couldn't have walked out of the ooze and multiply.

If by ooze you mean the oceans, no, plants didn't walk out of the ocean. But plants can move, directly and indirectly through spores and seeds. I assume that plants or algae living on shores could have made the tranzition to land quite easily, since they don't breathe like animals do...

Were they here before the first animal walked out of the ooze?

Wikipedia says no:

The first known footprints on land date to 530 Ma, indicating that early animal explorations may have predated the development of terrestrial plants.

How did they come into existense?

Evolution and adaptation and time, lots of time, just like the rest of us.

new topics

top topics

join