It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swimming With The Eagle Rays

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
To all Friends,

I was swimming today in the Caribbean. Now, it is still an Ocean, and as an Ocean; today was kind of ruff. I am glad that I have a mask, and snorkel other wise swimming would have been difficult to say the least. The waves caused by the high winds were choppy, and 2 feet trough to ridge. My body actually was coming out of the water. I have always been to a degree afraid of water. I never liked swimming in anything that I couldn't see all of. At best I would swim in a small pool.

Now with this Damn MD diagnosis; well I guess your out look changes. I swim out maybe around a mile or so, and then back again. I think about, and watch the unknown. Even being the Caribbean you still can't see that far. I have come through many fears. Entering the different sections of the Ocean are fuzzy at first, and unknown, but once your there it is simply better feeling; almost a belonging.

Darker areas in the water used to scare me, but after looking those areas a lot of the time are the shallow's; where the grass grows. I like swimming in these areas; they are still way off the coast line, but shallow enough for the grass, reefs, and all variety of fish. I love studying the microcosms, and then comparing them to what we see, and think to be the grand macrocosms. It fascinates me. The whole time maybe a shark will want to take a nibble from me, but as yet has not occurred. Then there are the "desert" areas. Which also have an abundance of life. Just very different. You have the reefs which I stay away from out of thought, and respect for ruining what takes eons to grow.

I am only writing this out of a short experience I had today. I had just swam out of a grassy area, which usually drop drastically to the more "desert" areas. Then out of the mist of water there she was. There was a Sting Ray. The first one I've ever seen. She was grayish/black with white poke a dots on her back/Top. Her Belly was pure white. Her size was comparable to mine. She did fly! Just as you'd see a bird flapping its wings. Her tail must have been at least 8' in length.

We swam around each other for a good ten minutes. Just studying, and looking with equal amazement, and awe. She wasn't flat as I expected. Her head was the size of a good German Shepard, and looked similar. Her eye were the incredible part. She had the most blue eyes. Very human like. We did swim very close; within five feet of each other at different points. The whole time I felt at peace, yet remembered Steve Irwin. I didn't see anything odd about her tail. Such as a drastic killer stinger; it was simply the width of about two pencils the whole eight feet. Finally, she went her way, and I went mine. I hoped to see her again, but didn't.
Truly it was an experience I will never forget!

Best to You, and Yours,

&&&&

EDIT: This was an email I sent out to friends around a year ago; I thought it was worth sharing with new friends

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Wow, Sancho. That was pretty cool.

Don't you be goin' and gettin' soft on us.
(you big marshmallow)

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

I really had to contemplate putting this in short stories, and switching over to short stories for a change.

I was cleaning out ole' emails the other day, and found this one. I guess it still resonates

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

Great post, it's always awe-inspiring to interact closely with sea life. I was snorkeling off of Cozumel a few years ago and swam pretty close to a barracuda and a sea turtle (along with all those gloriously colored fish). Being underwater with these creatures is so tranquil you don't want to leave. Although I have to admit, the barracuda did startle me a bit.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Orion65

Barracudas, eh? Yep, those are neat to swim with. I've got something written down somewhere about them too. Did You know that a fresh water Pike is the same basic fish; teeth, and all?

I only saw the Eagle Ray the one time, but barracuda, and sea turtles were common. The barracudas were somewhat exhilarating to swim with. They are one of the most inquisitive fish, not to mention large

new topics

top topics

join