It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movies About Nazi Germany

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
The last two movies I've watched about Nazi Germany - Valkyrie, and The Boy in Striped Pajamas - have had no German dialects. All the accents in the films were English.

I'm watching Valkyrie - and Hitler is speaking with something that sounds like a freakin' Welsh accent.

What is this about? Any theories?

Why has the German dialect fallen out of favor with Hollywood? Why not have actors speaking in German with proper accents and then subtitle it?

Is this a case of filmmakers being cheap and lazy, or is there some subtle psychological manipulation going on?

Half the actors in this movie are American, and even THEY are speaking in an English accent of one sort or another.

It's really making me confused. I rent a movie about Nazi Germany, I expect to see Germans and hear German dialect. Instead, I see British and American actors, and hear them force English accents - nearly every one of them.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas just couldn't engage me as a viewer. It could have been such a good movie - it was a great story. But every five seconds I found myself thinking - wait, did my History teacher lie to me, were the Nazis really from Cornwall?

It's distracting, and annoying, and a little insulting. Can anybody offer me a theory as to why this is happening?

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I think it's a degree of laziness/marketability in Hollywood...

I used to work in a record store and sometimes people would bring back subtitled films because they didn't want to "read a film" - seriously, there was at least one incident of this a day and that was people that accidentally picked them up, there were a lot of others that would actively avoid subtitled films.
I think Hollywood avoids producing subtitled works for that very reason, that a lot of people won't see something with subtitles...

Also "actors" are perhaps not as dedicated to their art these days and won't go to the trouble of learning a realistic accent.

Personally I have no trouble with subtitled material, but I find someone doing a poor imitation of an accent very off-putting and would rather have an actor just perform in their normal accent rather than make a pigs ear of it.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Well, I watched Valkyrie on DVD. The movie was excellently dubbed into the german language and was quite enjoyable. The german synchronisation team did a great job. I then switched over to english and couldn´t take five minutes of it. It´s just loses all authenticity when germans don´t sound like germans. Use english speaking german actors!

Another horrible example of this accent missmatch was "Duel: Enemy At The Gates". Russian snipers with Manchester accents? Two thumbs down!

The best German WW2 movie ever made that comes across totally authentic not only in german, but also in english, has to be Das Boot/The Boat. Absolute masterpiece.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Also just a little note.

Hollywood is run by Jews so they don't want to learn german nor let anyone german be in the film. And doing it in english would allow americans to understand they're agenda easier and allow them to hate nazis even more.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
the moment the producers decided to make an English speaking movie, why would they need to speak in German accents? As it is obviously Hitler and all the other German roles would never have spoken in English and in German instead, so whatsoever accent is like nonsense.

So just speak English and for the German market dub it in German would be much better and easier for the international market.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

Here comes the conspiracy theory:

The mind is less active when just watching and listening to a movie as opposed to watching, listening, and reading. It is just like with the tv, the brain goes dead. If you had to read and comprehend and watch, the brain remains active, using more of the brain, because you go back and forth between listening and reading, while the watching continues constantly.

Also, when you watch while reading subtitles, you remember it, which means less revenue from repeat customers.

Eh, it's just a theory, feel free to shoot it full of holes.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Dallas87

Are you being serious? You can differentiate between Germans and Nazis can't you? Why would a Jew have an issue with learning the German language? It doesn't follow that if someone finances a foreign language movie they have to learn that language...

I've seen/heard lots of terrible dubbing, infact I don't think I've ever seen one that I'd consider satisfactory, although some anime is a lot more acceptable.

Last good German film I saw was Das Experiment, which is kind of old now, but very good.

[edit on 28/9/0909 by jokei]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas87
Also just a little note.

Hollywood is run by Jews so they don't want to learn german nor let anyone german be in the film. And doing it in english would allow americans to understand they're agenda easier and allow them to hate nazis even more.

You do realize the Jewish population in Germany is about 120,000 right?

I suppose they don't speak a word of duetshe if you theory is true.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Hollywood screws up accents all the time. If a character is supposed to be from Tidewater Virginia, but is 'Southern', more often than not, the character has some 'Georgia Peach' accent, which is beyond wrong. It isn't conspiracy, just ignorance.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Dallas87

Wow. Big difference between Germans and Nazis - many German Jews - even some Jewish Nazis. I think I'll stop now. My head hurts.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Subtitled films aren't as commerically viable as English-language films in America.

To be able to afford an actor like Tom Cruise, a film--especially a period film--needs to have a fairly large budget (according to wiki-rumor, the budget for Valkyrie was about eighty-million). Without a star like Cruise, a producer's less likely to raise that kind of money.

Even if Tom Cruise spoke fluent German, there'd be financial pressure for the film to be shot with the dialogue in English.

I couldn't agree more, WyrdeOne, it's a shame that this is the way it is. Otherwise, in my humble opinion, Valkyrie is a very good movie.

And as for that German production, Das Boot--yeah, it's good, but the book is superior.

F

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Occam's razor should be applied here . Germans have been speaking english in War Movies ever since the genre began . Logic says that this would be due the costs and logistics of doing otherwise . One film that doesnt contain German speakers but never the less bucks such trends is the excellent Tora! Tora! Tora! which had seperate US and Japanese productions . This allowed for the of Japanese speaking actors with the use of English subtitles . I have seen Valkyrie and in my judgement the film could have been worse but it still suffers from to much of Hollywood . Film makers also tailor there films to suit their audiences in which case means over dramatization , dumbing down of the plot and historical inaccuracy .

If you want to get away from the way films are tailored the language error aside check out some of the British War Films that were made in the fifties and early sixties .

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Yeah I saw a German movie the other day where the English/Americans in it were speaking German.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Hold on - speaking English is one thing - speaking with an English accent is quite another.

My beef is that even the American actors in these silly movies were putting on English accents..to play Nazis.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Hold on - speaking English is one thing - speaking with an English accent is quite another.

I take your point on board . What I said is still valid thou for instance take the 1957 film at least Hardy Krüger who plays Franz von Werra is a German actor . Hence from memory he speaks with a German accent in the film .

My beef is that even the American actors in these silly movies were putting on English accents..to play Nazis.

Oh BTW I completely agree with you .
Look have you consider that you are just simply a bit more discerning then a lot of movie goers ?
IMO what you describe is a part of the dumbing down of society rather then a specific conspiracy theory to the cinema .

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
You get what you deserve if you waste your time with fiction, even fiction based on non-fiction.

Hollywood gives you what they think you want, not necessarily what you actually want.

It has to cater for the many, not the few.

As they had a "Cornwall" accent, I trust they said 'oss-#e' when they where none too pleased?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I think we should be asking why so many of these movies have been made recently. There have been more blockbuster movies about hitler in the last couple of months its alarming.

join