It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine: U.S. lost 'moral high ground' at Gitmo

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

Think about it. You are captured, labelled an "enemy combatant", your rights are stripped away along with everything else, and you are thrown in a box with a gunnysack over your head. At this point you have to be thinking you are screwed. Completely. And you would be right. Any false hope of preferential treatment for divulging secrets would be just that. Why make it worse by ratting on your cohorts? The other side probably wouldn't give anything but rabbit trails to someone they thought would break anyway. Do you think we do? Yes, you may get some immediate tactical info of limited scope and duration, but strategic intelligence? I don't think so. Otherwise Osama and Zawahiri wouldn't still be at large. If they are alive or even ever existed to begin with.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

What, they lost their right to jihad? They are going to tell everything, once the pain starts, regardless of whether of not they want to rat out their friends. Even for hardened terrorists, self-preservation trumps loyalty.
We just haven't captured anyone who knows where they are, or they keep changing locations. It is pretty easy to stay hidden with the help from elements within the Pakistani military and government.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
we know that several time we had detainees from gitmo released to freedom en send back home and within a month they commited suicide attacks and placed IED's .. I know its hard for people to see my view as rightious but I rather see people like those people who place IED's or who kill innocent children and people just because of religous ideology in a place as gitmo then running free in the world. We might think we stopped it and gitmo will be closed okay let them close it and build one in the open ocean were there is no place for them to escape and we don't have the maddling of people who want those terrorist free in the world.
People who are not used to see things like those things happening in gitmo are saying they have to be released but they don't see the things commited by those people in gitmo , the only reason gitmo has to be closed is be cause the images taken by news crews hunting for stories ( every terrorist attack is bussiness for them and money in the pocket ) are being used for propaganda by groups like the taliban and alqaida.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
reply to post by Pellevoisin

Perhaps you have conveniently forgotten the many native peace loving peoples across the expanse of the Pacific ocean that Japan brutally killed,subjugated, enslaved, and tortured. I wonder how they feel about Pearl Harbor, Nagasaki, and Hiroshima.

I have forgotten nothing. The crimes of the Japanese do not excuse the USA's dropping of weapons of indiscriminate & mass destruction.

I can pretty much agree with the rest of your rant, but regardless how we came to start and end the war with Japan, it was something that needed to be done. How do you know the Japanese in those cities were Catholic? That does not sound like something the imperial army would tolerate. They went out of their way to torture Catholics in the Philippines and China.

Nagasaki and Hiroshima were the Catholic heartland of Japan. The USAmericans targeted the Mother of God Cathedral in Nagasaki and dropt the atomic bomb directly over that Catholic Cathedral which was located in the most Catholic part of an already Catholic city.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
My instinct tells me that Gitmo was a plan by somepeople to lower moral high ground ON PURPOSE for national interests..

This statement was made while the military individual was STILL ON THE CLOCK. And that means he gets orders from someone to say WHAT HE IS TOLD.. or ELSE.

If this testimony was said by the individual after retirement it would have much more credibility.

My gut feeling tells me everything public about gitmo and interrogations and similar topics are all fabricated for PROPAGANDA purposes only!

The PTB will work like hell to persuade populations into thinking a certain way. And this is done through any media and or spreading of hearsay.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

Most of them don't know anything to begin with. For them, the promise of seventy virgins for dieing a martyr's death trumps self-preservation. They are already screwed anyway, so self-preservation isn't an option.

Again, tactical intel of limited scope and duration is all we can reasonably expect from torture. Which translates into "We haven't caught anybody who knows where they are or they keep changing locations."

I have come to realize that I wouldn't be able to tell the soldier whose life is saved by that limitied tactical info obtained via torture that his or her life wasn't worth it. War in general and solving our problems with ever increasing violence is the root problem. Torture is a byproduct.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join