It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart's Empty Shelves...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Has anyone noticed how Wal-Mart's shelves are starting to look somewhat thin and/or empty?

There are reports (not on the TV news) of truckers who are protesting the high gas prices and they are not moving any goods from ports to distrubition.

We have not seen a strike like this before. We are living in a time when there are few business that have expensive wharehousing and invintory available. Now it's last minute distrubition. From manufacture to consumer on an as needed basis.

How will this effect you?

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Well, I just came back from walmart and it looks fine to me (I am from GA) the only thing I have to complain is that on saturday night people drop the kids on the store like a big day care and let them do anything they want. I will check next time with the grocery deparment and see how the products are doing on the shelves

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by energy_wave
There are reports (not on the TV news) of truckers who are protesting the high gas prices and they are not moving any goods from ports to distrubition.

We had a similar thing in the UK in 2000. Petrol stations couldn't get any supplied and the country was starting to slow down. Blair said he'd deal with it and the boycott was called off. The problem is that the prices are again close to the 2000 prices and theres more talk of another boycott.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I don't know about WalMart but I live between LA and San Diego and in my work, I bring in lots of container loads of product. We've recently had to deal with trucking lines refusing to work on Fridays in protest of the high fuel prices. A few weeks ago, two semi trailers parked themselves across one of our main freeways during morning rush hour, completely shutting down all lanes of traffic. They hung protest signs on their rigs and tried to walk away from their vehicles. Traffic was a mess all day!

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I haven't noticed anything like this, and gas prices are absolutely outrageous here, as well. Hopefully prices will go down and protests, etc., can be avoided. You're right, EW, the way business is now, supply and demand, it could cause problems.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Wallmart shelves in Utah are FAT and STUFFED.......
I was told 2 days ago by a employment counseler named Jim D. who works for the State...that Wallmart has MORE employees than the USA has military personell.........go figure.......something else that makes me go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   
In 2000 the British truck drivers blockaded the oil ports and drove at 5mph on the roads for a few days.

Basically most of the UK ground to a resounding halt in 24 hours. There was no food on the shelves of 70% of Britain's supermarkets.

If it had gone on for more than a few days the army would have been called in.

I hate to think what a full blown oil/gas shortage would do to the UK let alone the USA.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Wally Worlds shelves are full here and my neighbor moves containers at the port & he's working.

Where did you get those phantom reports? Sounds like you heard a bunch of BS.

No doubt truckers will be asking for more per container to cover the added cost of doing business and if they don't get it they will strike & you will hear about it on the news. Bottom line you will pay more for everything do to the added cost of getting it to you.

Also, doesn't Wally delivery it's own goods? They may have a major distribution warehouse or a few, but everything from that point is done by Wally employees.

new topics

top topics

join