It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Girl who Silenced the World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

The Girl who Silenced the World

media.causes.com

The Inspired Protagonist recently came across this 1992 speech by then 12-year-old Severn Suzuki, who with three friends founded the Environmental Children's Organization and raised money to attend the Earth Summit in Rio De Janeiro. Her fierce speech received a standing ovation and her group also addressed delegates at the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED).

These days she is an environmental activist, speaker, television host, and author. Her speech is as resonant today as it was 16 years ago.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.seventhgeneration.com

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Yeah yeah yeah I know its old news but this young ladies message still resonates and is as appro today as it was 17 years ago.

Sadly the so-called world leaders applauded politely and continued on their thantos embracing ways...choosing profits and death...destruction and corruption...plundering and murder...

Yeah yeah yeah I know its idealism at its most ideal but I will take this idealism to cold blooded pragmatism any day...

Such idealism may yet save us all whereas cold blooded pragmatism will never save anything.

media.causes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-9-2009 by grover]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Yeah, this has been covered before here at ATS. Yet, still, I guess it is good to bring it up again. Of course, a hundred years from now, we might still be bringing it up and saying, "See, she knew, but nobody cared."

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
And it will be the death of us all yet.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
"If you do not know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." Words for every government to live by.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Grover
Being a bit younger and less sceptical, more idealistic, and at the time very heavily involved in hmmm ahem environmental "protection" this really resonated with me when it was said.

The actors who applauded and seemed to care for a young girl begging, imploring and demanding that the next generation will not go through what was forecast, that the time was then, that we/they had a responsibilty.......

The MSM and there was very little else then accept some leaflets and back room a4 printed weeklies we used to make, and I just remembered transporting many to lots of the UK ,straight of the press(lol early printers) and monthlies given out between freinds and small groups, sold the lie once again of change, "promises" "committment"....

Most of the concerns promting her speech we can see manifesting around us all on the earth today.

Thank you for reminding me of that beleif I had in real change that it was possible... Hope is terrible to loose completely and this memory may have been just what I needed in todays world.

Kind Regards

Elf

[edit on 23-9-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Idealism is something to be admired. The idealism of the young is truly awesome...the tragedy is when that idealism is confronted with the brutal realities.

The only thing that will save us as a species from ourselves is a profound and deep spiritual sea change and at this late date I fear it is not going to happen...

...and I am a Baha'i'...I am supposed to believe that sea change is right around the corner.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I used to swim---yes swim, fish and crab as a kid in the lower Hudson River. A place called Black Tom.
A waterfront area with an easy view of the Statue of Liberty.
That area in the early fifties was host to raw sewerage from Jersey City , Manhattan Island and any municipality that could get a pipe into the river or bay.
We took turns on a watch of sorts, yelling and pointing to our friends to watch out for the Coney Island White fish (condom) or that Bayonne Brown fish (turd). Yeah ,we were typical J. C. kids who escaped the parental control for adventure.
Never the less, my point here is about the Wonderful capability of the informed youth of America and the world-------- that has at least momentarily turned that ship around.
My overwhelming thanks.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Hey cool, I've had this video marked as a favorite on my YouTube channel for about a year now. Well worth a watch once in a while!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Sadly people would prefer to discuss stupid things like birth certificate non issues or little gray men or abductions than something positive like this young ladies message, one we ignore at our own peril.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
No doubt her dad wrote the speech,who is a tad extremist.Still a nice video and speech.The folks at the UN are drugged up on power though..fogs the mind a tad,i doubt this made them want to get clean.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Perhaps her dad did but I have also known quite a few articulate and eloquent children in my time...especially if they feel passionately about something.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Pretty good speech considering it's still being brought up almost 20 years later.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Perhaps her dad did but I have also known quite a few articulate and eloquent children in my time...especially if they feel passionately about something.

Not to brag but at that age I could have written something like that, probably not THAT good but pretty good.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

The same here...I have been reading and writing for as long as I can remember and I excelled in composition....especially if I was fired up about something which this young lady obviously is.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by Donnie Darko

The same here...I have been reading and writing for as long as I can remember and I excelled in composition....especially if I was fired up about something which this young lady obviously is.

People really underestimate the intelligence of kids. I think they're just as smart as adults, just not as experienced.

new topics

top topics

join