It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fluxotine AKA Prozac.. Experiences?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
So I was diagnosed with severe generalized anxiety disorder around 6 months ago. I was first prescribed effexor, but being the person that I am, never filled it and found ways to cope with my panic attacks on my own. I just hate pills.

Anyway, two months ago my world crashed around me. I lost my awesome house, my job, and my girlfriend. On top of all that I had to move back to my home town to deal with my parents again. Boo hoo, I know, but it caused a total shift in my anxiety. It was now a different animal altogether.

The panic attacks got worse, but again, I thought I could deal. I messed up a few job interviews then because I had some of the worst panic ever, which caused me to practically pass out. I began using Xanax in EXTREMELY small doses, which worked for single outbursts of panic. I would be good for the day and so I could function.

But again, I never took the Xanax unless I needed it. Absolutely needed it for something. I've tried my best to continue to battle the anxiety by myself, but I caved today, and without insurance, went to my doctor. I only did this because I was feeling like I was losing touch with reality and could no longer live my life to the fullest anymore.

So he prescribed me fluxotine. I have read up on the stuff pretty substantially, but nothing will ever convince me that a drug is going to be good for me. He explained that I needed to treat underlying depression to deal with the panic. Makes sense I guess, but this guy is a general practitioner. He's not a head Dr., so why is he prescribing me head meds?

Anyway, has anyone here had to try fluxotine? Has it worked? Did it cause any problems? What "feeling" am I going to experience when it actually starts working? I heard it takes many weeks to begin taking affect, is this true?

I hate pharmaceuticals, but I'm at a loss right now without insurance, so I need to try something. I don't want to become a robot, but honestly, robot is better than what I am now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks BTSers.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Yeah i got prescribed that, it seemed to make it worse, but i was prescribed something else as well (beta blockers?) to lower my blood pressure, so it could have been that, i stopped taking it and decided to deal with it on my own.

perhaps you can help me, i started getting what i assume are anxiety attacks a few years ago after a disasterous relationship and i lost my kids (they got put up for adoption), now, a few years on i get the feeling quite frequently, especially when tired, and always in awkward situations. The thing is though, i have nothing to be anxious about, the symptoms are feeling dizzy, like im gonna pass out, feeling like the breath i am taking isn't doing its job (if that makes sense), i feel as though i am not there, sort of detached from my body. It normally last between half an hour anywhere up to an hour. When it first happened i didn't know what was going on and i freaked thinking it was something more severe with my health so i underwent loads of different health tests and got prescribed meds.

Do those symptoms sound like a panic disorder? i don't really wanna go back to the doctors with it as i feel it is a waste of time.

[edit on 23/9/09 by woogleuk]

[edit on 23/9/09 by woogleuk]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Actually, you made ME feel better about my panic attacks. "Breath not doing its job" is the perfect way to describe it. This is exactly the "new animal" I was talking about. Almost like you're being sucked out of your own head with a straw and you're trying to pull yourself back in before you fuzz-out altogether.

See, my original psych told me that those were more depression symptoms than pure anxiety as well.

Also, typically the anxiety symptoms will perpetuate the anxiety itself. When you have the breathing problem, you just panic more. Its a really vicious cycle.

But you experience it just like I do, except mine go on for up to 6 hours at a time, so you can see why I feel like I'm no longer in my own head anymore.

ETA: Also, its important to realize that anxiety, once it becomes programmed, does not need a reason to show itself. It is now part of your physiology. It will come out at all the wrong times, even when you're not worried.

The base problem is, that even without thinking about it, your world is nothing but worry. Believe me, I can sympathize.

[edit on 9/23/09 by SantaClaus]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
It's been happening that long now I think about it most of the time, wondering if i'm gonna have one, and I think that could be one of the reasons it happens, and although I can control the milder ones, when a big one hits, it kicks me in the teeth well and truly. I recently went on holiday to edinburgh with my current girlfriend and her parents, the parents paid for it as they wanted to get to know me better. We went out for lunch, sat waiting for the meal, bang, it happened, i ran to the toilets to splash some water on my face, but I couldn't shake it, I had to go back to the caravan to try and sleep it off. It was embarresing to say the least! I would say I am a laid back, chilled person, I get on with everybody and i'm not afraid to speak my mind, thats why it confuses the hell out of me why I get them, can it really be all that bad stuff that happened all them years ago still lingering my subconscious? btw way i'm sorry but i chuckled a little bit when you said about the straw // brain thing, reminded me of starship troopers, but i also think that is a good way of describing it. Its like your there in mind but your body is somewhere else, its a weird sensation.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I don't think your problem is necessarily about the person you are now. You went through a lot. Worry became part of you.

I think I am extremely laid back and confident, and I am getting over all that has happened to me quite well. However, the anxiety is now part of my daily life. Kind of like being possessed, eh?

And believe me, I RAN out of my interviews mid-sentence. You have nothing to be embarrassed about. Go back to the doc and see what he can do for you.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
i take a drug called symbyax which is a combo of prozac and zyprexa. i also take an extra zyprexa and klonopin.
it's really hard to say but some days it seems to be helping me and others days not so much. over all i feel less depressed but my anxiety is through the roof.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I was prescribed prozac about eight years ago for anxiety and depression. I took it for the minimum period of four months and found it to be brilliantly effective. However, all prozac does is help you to establish a recognition of what is 'normal' for you, ie, what a balanced, unanxious you is like, it does not treat the underlying causes or symptoms. When you achieve that 'place' or 'balance', take note and recognise it, that way you will know when you are slipping away from it and can act pre-emptively to prevent a slide back into depression or anxiety. But, that will only work in the long term if you deal with the underlying reasons why you are getting the anxiety attacks etc.

Plus, it doesn't work for everyone and there are some side effects, read the bumpf and make sure you aware of those too.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by shamhat

Thank you. That's very useful for me. My doctor said I wasn't "dealing" with my depression, or rather wasn't recognizing it, and over many years it developed anxiety in me. I never really felt all that depressed, so hopefully I can recognize it when I break through the cloud.

What types of side effects did you experience?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Hey guys I've been on this in the past for maybe six months and I stopped taking them myself without the help of my GP who wanted to continue me on it. The reason was, it made me agressive and kind of worsened my depression/anxiety symptoms, I also put on weight.

I still get the anxiety/panic attacks, in fact they are worse since a relationship collapse and lack of child access etc and I'm on more meds than ever. However since my awakening and my research I don't trust any pills at all. So again in secret I am trying to reduce my intake.

It's a fact that most anti-dees don't work any more than a placebo.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sharps

Yes, I've heard of the claims that fluox does nothing, but I did want to try it.

Basically, I did some research and apparently a daily regimen is no different from taking it 3 times a week due to its extended half-life once it is established in your system.

I think I am going to to take it daily for about 3 weeks, then go to 3 a week to avoid unnecessary doses.

I too, don't trust pills, but somethings gotta give, and I don't want it to be my sanity.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I was diagnosed with severe depression in 1995 and was prescribed Prozac.

My therapist was about an hours drive from my residence.

As soon as I got out of the therapist office I pulled through the first drive thru restaurant I found and took one of the Prozac from a sample pack I had been given.

Within 10 minutes I noticed my body shaking as I pulled onto the interstate highway.

I could actually feel something going on in my brain mass. Very scary at the time.

Took Prozac for a few years then tried several different antidepressants.

About 5 years ago I told my doctor I wanted to go back on Prozac again. He was pleased that I made that choice and said that Prozac was the antidepressant that doctors took when they had`problems.

Was taking 20 mg now am at 40 mg once a day.

I still have anxiety and sometimes I can talk myself out of the attack but usually have to use Xanax to get back near normal.

Did I say normal? Ha. I could not tell you what normal is anymore. I just know I am not in jail for murder and am still welcome at most of my friends homes and haven't been barred from any establishment since I began taking Prozac.

I will never stop taking Prozac again. I am a sensitive and very emotional person. I feel everything deeply.

No way I want to live in this world today without Prozac.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus
Thank you. That's very useful for me. My doctor said I wasn't "dealing" with my depression, or rather wasn't recognizing it, and over many years it developed anxiety in me. I never really felt all that depressed, so hopefully I can recognize it when I break through the cloud.

I was actually very similar, my doctor told me I had 'deep-seated' depression, I didn't recognise it as such, though I had been having anxiety attacks for some time, which I had been prescribed Beta-Blockers for previously, and then it manifested itself as tendonitius. I was literally folding in on myself, but would not have said I was depressed, though in retrospect I can see that I was. It is one of those things when you are in it you cant see or feel anything else, and the longer that it goes on, the more that seems normal.

What types of side effects did you experience?

I didn't have any, I honestly haven't got a single complaint about the drug, it worked for me perfectly at that time and moreover, I was able to stop taking it without even the slightest sense of withdrawal. But I know that in others it has caused aggression and suicidal thoughts, so it is very much worth being aware of the possibles so that you can stop taking it before any negativity can fully take hold.

new topics

top topics

join