It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States that Ban Texting Send Mixed Messages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Anyone with half a brain knows that fiddling with your cellphone while driving is an open invitation for an accident to happen. Most States in the U.S. have already taken measures to make either texting or using a cellphone without a hands-free device illegal. Some have even gone so far as to ban cellphone use while driving completely.

However, one has to love hypocrisy in our governmental laws!

Mixed Messages on Texting and Driving

At least 22 states that ban texting while driving offer some type of service that allows motorists to get information about traffic tie-ups, road conditions or emergencies via Twitter directly to your cellphone.

So, to use your cellphone to text or call a friend while driving is illegal, but to use your cellphone to monitor road conditions and emergencies via Twitter is okay?

What daft State Employees thought up that?

Sometimes I swear our government officials are schizophrenic.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I love it. I also think it is just fantastic whenever I drive through washington state and see the police officers on their phones, even though it is illegal. Makes me laugh.

The thing is, even going handsfree doesnt do anything. Studies shows its the mental distraction, not the physical one, that is the issue.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
In Missouri and Illinois... it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to text messages while driving...

- Like only experienced drivers are allowed?!?!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Is "lolololol ur sho cuiteypie ROTFZZZ?!" - worth dying for?

it should seriously be like a 500 dollar fine.

this link perfectly explains why texting in general is the stupidest thing.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Here in Az. the legislature recently defeated a proposal to make texting while driving an offense, citing personal responsibility as the main reason. Yesterday, however, the DPS said they were going to start "cracking down" on seat belt violations. I need not look at texting laws to cite instances of government hypocricy, they show it on a daily basis.

new topics

top topics

join