It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(TTSSC) Catalina and the Countryside..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Catalina was an ordinary girl who lived in an old down trodden county farm house down in a place called Castle Valley. She lived with her three older brother's and mother and father.

Life however, was hard and strict, with barely much money to raise and feed a family of six. Although they had farmed and raised few cattle some sheep, pigs and hen's it still wasn't enough. Not only this the crops were also failing from the drought of the last season's summer. Life was not working to their advantage, poverty was taking over.

Catalina's father packed his bag and left the old country town, in search of new work that only a middle aged farmer could possible find. Perhaps some labour work, maybe a timber place or just some working factory will do, anything to survive the harsh life of poverty.

It was early spring, Catalina's most favourite time, she sprang to life and smiled with joy, when all around her was fresh with coloured spring flowers and birds that sang sweetly high in the trees.

She walked through the winding path past the green and yellow flowered fields, that steeped high above the hill top until she entered the lake nearby. Listening to the croaking sounds of frogs, sounding from around the lake. The droning sound echoed and calmed her aching soul.

Suddenly she heard a frog nearby sounding different from the others, she then heard a voice which spoke, "I am a frog and I can ease your mind." Catalina stopped and stared in bewilderment. The frog continued -"Come here each day. and I will heal your mind."

Catalina quickly grasped the stalk of a branch near by and threw it at the frog, and said, "Go away you evil spirit, go or I will find a way to banish you!" With that she tried to flee from the lake, but a sudden flash leapt from her face, it was the eyes of the frog. There was a high pitched scream that shook the stillness of the lake. Catalina tried to make her escape, as she turned she froze in terror to see the glowing red eyes glaring straight at her. A laugh roared loud that was filled with evil.

The following morning the usual hustle and bustle chained through the country farm house, only this time something was different. Catalina's father complained to her mother, "Where is she?" "Its' breakfast time". Footsteps were heard climbing up the old spiraling stairs- her mother cursed and yelled- "Catalina, where are you?" "Darn you girl, you lazy sod, get up and do some work!"

As her mother opened the bedroom door she viewed an empty room. Astounded and puzzled she paused for a moment. An eerie breeze brushed through the open window, gently swaying the light cotton curtain. A strange croaking noise pierced the room, as her mother turned towards the noise she glanced upon the red glowing eyes of a large frog inside the room.

No matter how she tried to break her gaze she could not fight the power of the evil frogs eyes. Time later on she walked through the fields in a trance and entered the clearing of the lake. The lake was shinning under the moonlight, and a strong pungent smell of death filtered the late night air. A pool of frogs sang in chorus until the early light of dawn.

...Till this day, down by the old countryside house, the folks still tell of this tale of the missing mother and daughter that were found down at the bottom of the hilltop in the lake.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by catalyst2466]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by catalyst2466

Awesome entry catalyst! You have a very good writing style and I found myself wanting to know what was going to happen next with each sentence. Very good and I must say I was reminded of the video below.

Star and flagged catalyst!

[edit on 21-9-2009 by jackflap]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Thank you Jack! Wow that YouTube vid certainly fits the piece... Awsome and scary! I think in future I should try and expand on written stories, and try to do two parts. 500 words is a bit too short. ...so till next time.

cheers my friend!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Good job, Cat.

Frogs as the bad guy, a very interesting concept. Frogs are usually nice, at least the ones I have met.

Wow.
So the frogs made the women drown themselves...very wild.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Thanks KSPPen,
I hope your friendship with the frogs, remains friendly at best...

-Cheers!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
That was almost poetic with the way some of the sentences rhymed. Great job man.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Thanks for your kind words, Mr. Toodles. ***

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
S & F! Very nice writing style, excellent story! I'll never look at our frog (he lives in our frontyard) the same way after reading this, really creepy,

STM

[edit on 9/26/2009 by seentoomuch]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Great job C. I really enjoyed the way it all flowed. Good Luck

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Evil froggy demon luring innocents to their horrible demise (shudder). There's something about frogs that fascinate me. Their eyes, sitting atop their flat heads like little beacons and that deadly long tongue that flicks out lightning quick makes reminds me of a certain member of KISS. Frog, Kiss... get it?

Ayeee!

The comments which followed were right, cat... you do have a talent with sentence structure.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Thank you Masqua.

.../2 line.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by catalyst2466

I like frogs, toads another matter

Great story

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Thanks Zazz, I look forward to reading more from you in the future.

.../2line.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by catalyst2466]

new topics

top topics

join