It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS News: Bush Family Tree

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Abbby

Don't feel bad for asking. Most people don't know as it is kinda complicated.
This is how I describe it, hard to do in text too:

Imagine looking at generations of cousins as a basic ladder, with two poles running down the side and rungs inbetween. Each rung of the ladder is direct cousins, first cousins.
Now, if there is a difference of generations, such as one cousin on one rung and the next cousin on a lower rung, that is once removed.

So your cousin's child is a first cousin, once removed. That child's child would be a first cousin twice removed. But your child and your cousins child are second cousins.

Each set of cousins, second cousin, third cousin, is a rung down. So the top rung is first cousins. Their children who are cousins are second cousins. Their children who are cousins are third cousins. And so on.

So if your fifth cousins twice removed, then you are five ladders apart, and two rungs apart.

That is the best way I can describe it. Maybe someone can explain it better.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by nixie_nox to re explain better]

[edit on 21-9-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Thank you for taking the time to answer and for the visual. I think after a couple more times of reading it I'll have a better understanding, but now I see the general concept. Thanks again! I really appreciate it!

new topics

<< 1   >>

join