It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

heroin addicts have a new weapon to slay the dragon.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
in 2002 the FDA approved the sale of a new drug in the fight of opiate addiction, Suboxone. this drug elliminates almost all withdrawel symptoms from heroin or other addictive opiates so why isnt this miracle drug readly available to the masses? it cannot be abused such as methadone and is not as addictive as methadone (methadone is chemicaly hundres of times stronger than heroin) it seems as if this miracle drug is being hidden from those who need it most. most health care professionals havent even heard of the drug suboxone. methadone clinics across the country are turning out addicts in the thousands. many heroin addicts take there methadone in the morning and go out to shoot up in the afternoon and evening. try mixing suboxone and heroin and it blocks the opiates from reaching the receptor sites in the users brain thus no high. it makes me sick to think that thousands of heroin addicts are being turned on to methadone which is more likely to keep them addited and sick. suboxone is a miracle and needs to be available to the masses.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Go and ask them why it hasn't been made readily available yet: www.suboxone.com...

=-D

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by viperkiller
why isnt this miracle drug readly available to the masses?

Probably money (as usual).
I see Methadone as being legal heroin. Instead of being addicted on heroin, people become addicted to methadone. The only difference being that it is the drug companies who get the money for supplying methadone as opposed to the drug runner who gets paid for supplying heroin.

If Methadone was replaced with Suboxone, there would be no addicts. No heroin addicts and no Methadone addicts either. That wouldn't suit the drug companies at all. Yes, some drug companies research in order to benefit humanity, but most do it just to benefit themselves.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Opiate blockers are nothing new under the sun. Any shrink can prescribe them, but they are dangerous as hell for the typical junkie.

Most are given IN REHAB under a doctor's supervision with access to immediate emergency treatment, then continued as a form of preventative mantainence.

I don't know about this one, but the claim that it eliminates WITHDRAWL symptoms is highly suspect. The only thing that eradicates the feeling of the opiates being ripped from your receptors and the impending prolonged anguish is ANOTHER replacement feel-good chemical... like methadone.

I'm not saying methadone is the answer, as you're right it's just another addiction. But IF this new drug is both an opiate blocker AND eliminates withdrawl...then by definition it's ADDICTIVE.

At some point, withdrawl is a necessary component of getting clean. It can't be avoided. Stroke, heart attacks, dehydration and renal failure are COMMON occurances for those trying to do it alone.

I hope such a miracle drug comes along, but like I said...the claims of this one are suspect.

If anyone really wanted to stop drug problems, then we'd put opiate blockers in small amounts of water like flouride. There's a similar coc aine blocker we could do the same with. Within a generation none of the drugs would even work any more.

Just a utopian dream of mine, but it's possible assuming the government were ever willing to give up it's highly profitable war on drugs/us.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

If anyone really wanted to stop drug problems, then we'd put opiate blockers in small amounts of water like flouride. There's a similar coc aine blocker we could do the same with. Within a generation none of the drugs would even work any more.

What a concept. If we could trust the politicians to not overstep, I'd be for it in an instant.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I can verify that suboxone does get rid of nearly all withdrawal symptoms. I have seen it used.

I am also surprised more people don't know about it.

But then again, I'm not surprised that folks don't care to inform junkies about a new drug.

new topics

top topics

join