It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival "Tin" - Do you carry one?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
On my continuous search for the best bugout/EDC, I have to consider the "survival tin" (survival kit that fits in a tobacco/mints tin).

This was first (to my knowledge) introduced by John "Lofty" Wiseman in the "SAS Survival Handbook".

He suggested the following contents (in a tobacco sized tin):

Matches - Candle - Firestick - Magnifying glass - Needles and thread - Fishhooks and line - compass - Beta light (light emitting crystal) - Snare wire - Wire saw - Medical kit (pain killers, antihistamines etc) - Surgical blade - Butterfly sutures - Plasters - Condom (for water carying... and presumeably the odd unexpected sexual encounter).

There are a few of these tins available commercially but I find them a bit "novelty" - in the sense that they contain superfluous sub-standard kit, such as very small badly made lock knives and so on.

I've considered buying a ready made kit but would have to heavily modify it (of which I'll post about when I've heard your thoughts) and in the end have probably decided it's necessary to make your own from scratch to make it worth while.

So... Do you carry one?

What's in yours?

What would you add/subtract from the "Lofty Wiseman" survival tin?

And anyother thoughts on this?

Thanks

Do you or would you include other items that are more suited to EDC or urban needs?

[edit on 20-9-2009 by Stanton Dowd]

[edit on 20-9-2009 by Stanton Dowd]

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Thanks for this.

I'm eager to read how some of more prepared members address this.

I don't have a tin. I suppose I should get one. I have small watertight boxes for the BOBs, that would carry essentially the same things you mentioned, but A small mint tin would make this stuff even more apt to be handy.

Are you advocating pocket carry of this tin daily?

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Lofty Wiseman reckons you should carry one everywhere - because of it's size it can go in a pocket but cover the majority of needs.

(The book is worth a look - The SAS Survival Handbook, John Wiseman. He was the survival instructor for the British SAS).

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
It's a great idea!
I have a really thin one that doesn't hold much for everyday with thread, needle, scissors, bandaids, antibacterial cream packets, safety pins. For the BOB I have the camping one that securely latches on both sides with the same but also a pocket knife, mini candy bars, dental floss, matches, aspirin, picture wire (not much though).

Good suggestions, thanks.

Oh yeah, I took the cutting strip off of a foil box for a saw and that rolls or folds up nicely, too.

[edit on 20-9-2009 by elfie]

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I have the Altoids tin, but it still needs to be filled. I don't know what to do with the altoids inside, to strong for me. Hate wasting stuff though.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Stanton Dowd

Sounds like my pocketbook! I have scissors, bandaids, clippers, sewing kit, toothpaste and throw away brushes, aspirin, mints, reading glasses and magnifier glass, 2 small flashlights, matches and a lighter, and I always carry at least one bottle water.

edit to add: and a condom, you know, in case I need some more water.....

[edit on 21-9-2009 by space cadet]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
It could be the meme talking but I think I'm going to buy a tin now so that I can stock it full of useful survival doohickies.

Tis a good idea.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Does a survival knapsack count?

Band aids, Small bottle (bubble bottle) of rubbing alcohol, Sterile Gauss and wraps, fishhooks, fishing line and flies (for fly fishing but not only fly fishing), LED flashlight, matches and lighters (at least 2 of each), Hunting knife, candle, flare, bright roman candle with sparks 4 shot (works as a 4 shot flare gun wrapped in plastic), small can opener, wire saw, a canteen tied to the outside for water and some sterilizer pills for river water, 357 snub nose with 2 spare loads of ammo.

I don't always wear it, but I always take it with me.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
Does a survival knapsack count?...
...I don't always wear it, but I always take it with me.
[edit on 21-9-2009 by DaMod]

Well it kind of counts... but it's not really a survival TIN is it???

Think of a survival tin as being very minimal "first line kit" - it's so small that it can go everywhere with you in a jacket pocket and you've always got essential survival kit on you even if for some reason everything else has been left behind.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I keep a glue-stick from a hot glue gun, the pencil sized cylindrical ones. You just melt the tip or the amount you need onto the item you need glued and that's it. Very compact (can be cut down very small depending on the amount of space you have) and has 1001 uses.

This has been very helpful for me and is not an item that would be immediately thought of for a survival tin.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I would point you to my old thread which is pretty much the same thing.

What's In Your Tin?

Lot of information there if your'e interested.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Thanks for the info.

Sorry I didn't see you'd already done a thread like this!!

Further thoughts - I might start a thread about specifically urban tins (since for some reason everyone seems, as usual, fixated on rural survival)

[edit on 23-9-2009 by Stanton Dowd]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
There are companies that make ready made survival tins.
If you're not sure where to start buy one of them and then adapt as needed.

Have a poke around that giant auction site for survival tin. You will get many results like like the BCB survival tin.

I brought one of these and adapted it to my needs. It was less than 10 English pounds.

Even if later you go on and make your own kit, you will have a very good idea of how to pack the tin and what should be inside.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stanton Dowd

Further thoughts - I might start a thread about specifically urban tins (since for some reason everyone seems, as usual, fixated on rural survival)

Yes that would be a great thread to start, as my Bug out routes take me through urban area's into rural area's. Maybe I need two tins...

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by colec156

I've looked at the ones on the "auction site" but they're usually a bit naff - that's why I started this thread (then found I'd duplicated someone else's thread... sorry)

Anyway, I was hoping to find what changes and mods other people had made to theirs and to maybe open a few eyes to Lofty Wiseman since he was the first to write about a survival tin.

Anyway, I'll put a thread together about a urban tin since, as I keep saying, everyone has some weird fixation on all things wilderness in the survival forum...

[edit on 24-9-2009 by Stanton Dowd]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Stanton Dowd

I'm really not sure Mr.Wiseman was the first person to mention survival tins. The army had used them for years in one form or another and i know some very old mountain rescue guys who used to carry something similar. I think Mr.Wiseman was just the first to bring them into public awareness.

The ones on eBay i admit are prety rubbish, the materials are really low grade. For example the flimsy wire saws they pack into them break very easily. If you saw through any wood you have to take it slowly otherwise the saw heats up and snaps. It's just a waste of space in a kit.

Don't get me wrong, these kits would give you a massive advantage compared to someone who has nothing, but they're the absolute basics and not really suitable for long term survival unless food is plentiful and easily caught. As for making a camp, that's going to be hard with one of these kits. If the wire saw breaks (and it will) then you're back to burning logs to break them.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The other night I grabbed my wife's "Survival tin" which is more like a 1/2 gallon ziplock bag just to see what was in it.
I posted it on my profile pics.
In it there was a candlelight, string, firestarter, fishhook, line, duct tape, pen, notebook, multi-tool, route marking tape etc.

She took a 3-day survival course and they put these together before they were dropped off on an island in the middle of the north pacific. She survived for three days on the contents.

I would add a space blanket to her kit but, all in all I was impressed with what she had.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Sorry!

That's what I meant - he was the first to bring them to public awareness.

BUT... being the survival instructor for the SAS is quite something!

So his word counts for a lot in my view

Maybe just the basics but it's only about survival and nothing more

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Survival tins are the absolute bare essentials. When i used to go into forests for a bit of a trip i carried my B.O.B but i always carried my survival tin on my belt. If some accident occured and i lost my bag i would still have my belt kit. It consisted of my survival tin, my main knife, a torch, small first aid kit, a chocolate bar a foldup saw, and a few other bits and pieces. It was enough kit for long term survival, albeit difficult survival.

I tested it out for a week, refusing to use my B.O.B and just using the belt kit. It was tough going i can tell you.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
My situation is unique in that I can never be more than 10 miles from home, due to the size of this island we live on.

I carry an old ammo box in my van with the following contents:

Two nylon straps with hooks and tightener for securing stuff to or in my van; two bungee cords.
One roll of duct tape.
First aid kit, with compresses, bandages, packets of betadine, long SAM splint, EPIpen (my wife is very allergic to bee stings), aspirin.
50 feet of 550 lb. parachute cord.
One "D" rescue ring.
One cell phone card.
One can of fix-a-flat.

In addition to that, I ALWAYS carry at least one gallon of water, and if I'm working outside and away from home, it will be more like four gallons, particularly if mixing and pouring/screeding/finishing concrete is involved.

When I lived in the U.S., I carried much, much more in the trunk of my car, as I lived in earthquake territory, and was also a SAR first responder. At that time, there was a 3/8" thick steel box bolted to the underside of the trunk.

I understand the point of the "tin", especially for those who travel primarily by bike. Otherwise, I think a larger emergency container is in order. Imagine an unanticipated critical event happening RIGHT NOW. Are there tools to help mitigate the effects of that event in your car? House? Work?

Good thread.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join