It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jedi Religion discrimination! *sigh*

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by bettermakings

It's not discrimination, more like a "nerd alert!" These nerds that practice the Jedi religion are misguided, for all "the force" is is just "midichlorians" in the bloodstream.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

Sure, if that's true, Muslims have a mental disorder and need to be placed in crazy-hospitals. It's crazy to pray to a big black box in the middle of the desert 5 times a day!!! Insane!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts

The validity of any 'religion' that has a dress code should be called into question. Anyone who believes that the Creator cares whether you're wearing a 'banana hammock' or full on formal 'prom wear', or anything inbetween (or even nekked) needs to seriously look at their 'beliefs'. 'Dress codes' are the creation of man, not of the Divine.

Look, if you take away the protocol, what remains of a religion? Case in point, try to ditch dietary requirements as well (which I'd be in favor of) -- no Ramadan in Muslim faith, no Kosher for the Jews and no Great Lent for Orthodox Christians. While you are at it, tell me why God should care about Churches/Temples/Shrines built in his/her favor?

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez

It's not discrimination, more like a "nerd alert!" These nerds that practice the Jedi religion are misguided, for all "the force" is is just "midichlorians" in the bloodstream.

Can you prove they are misguided? Being a jedi is just as much a religion as the muslims who pray to a fallen meteor, or the catholics who eat the bread of christ or the Hindu's who woship the monkey god.

Don't be so narrow minded. The Jedi religion may have stemmed from the imagination of George Lucas, but so did other religions stem from the imaginations of other men.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Tesco has been accused of religious discrimination after the company ordered the founder of a Jedi religion to remove his hood or leave a branch of the supermarket in north Wales.

I recall many times (more often than not) seeing the Jedi (Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, etc.) wearing their Jedi robes with the hood down. Seems to me that wearing the hood down is NOT against the Jedi code.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Yeah, but Muslims don't have midichlorians in their bloodstream. Musilms are human just like everyone else. "Jedis" or more aptly, "nerds without girlfriends" know that the only reason their religion exists is because of midichlorians. Now, if these nerds' midichlorians did not exist and there was some fantasy still involved, then I can see them getting upset. But they should be blaming George Lucas for ruining their religion (Episode 1) and not everyone else.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Prove they are misguided? Behold, an exemplar!

www.getback.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Look, if you take away the protocol, what remains of a religion? Case in point, try to ditch dietary requirements as well (which I'd be in favor of) -- no Ramadan in Muslim faith, no Kosher for the Jews and no Great Lent for Orthodox Christians. While you are at it, tell me why God should care about Churches/Temples/Shrines built in his/her favor?

*Leans real close and whispers*

God doesn't care about any of that stuff... Only humans do...

[edit on 21-9-2009 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Honestly, this guy should just sue. I know there was a woman here in America who wears a Starfleet uniform everyday. When she got Jury Duty they told her she couldn't wear it so she sued for the right and won! Of course, a jury of hardcore trekkies might be a mixed blessing lol

The only thing I can really say to this guy is: "Pick your battles" if your religion really is that important to you then it shouldn't matter if you have to take your Jedi hood down for a little. In fact, I distinctly remember Luke removing his hood before speaking with Jabba, not that it got him real far. Also, don't be surprised when no one takes you seriously.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Short end of a long story: you can't go into a public place purposefully looking like a doofus. The hood is an issue. In Oregon there are signs before you enter a bank that say "please remove your sunglasses before entering the bank". Is that discrimination (church of Corey Hart)? or is that just looking out for the safety of the staff? If I worked in retail and some clucka came into the store with a hood and was walking around like a dork, yes, I would be distracted as to what the motives of that person were. So everyone should stop trying to be butt-sore over this incident. A nerd was trying to buy some peanut M&Ms and got denied, who cares, life will continue.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Wow i but you're a nice person in real life? Do you insult anyone who tries to have fun in their own way, or just people who you don't like?

Calling people nerds is childish discrimination. Making assumptions that people who are into star wars have no girlfriends is rather small minded and shallow.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

If the sign in front of the store said: "No head-coverings at all." that would be a different story.

I wouldn't see a problem with this, but the double-standard is the problem. Catholic Nuns, Muslim women, etc. . . are okay; Jedis are not?

I say either make ALL head-coverings illegal, or NONE at all.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by bettermakings
This is a real double-standard. A Muslim woman wouldn't be told to take her veil off, but a Jedi is told to remove his hood. The UK is inviting Radical Muslims into their country, giving special treatment to them, and yet an innocent Jedi is harassed and discriminated against.

www.guardian.co.uk...

He says, "I told them it was a requirement of my religion but they just s'n-word'ed and ordered me to leave. I walked past a Muslim lady in a veil. Surely the same rules should apply to everyone."

www.worstpreviews.com...

For those who claim Jediism isn't a "real" religion, than what is a "real" religion? Latter Day Saints, where "golden tablets" disappeared? Islam, where a "prophet" re-wrote the Bible adding his own bias? Seriously, I'd defend this poor kid. He did nothing wrong.

Don't be so bloody ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
jedi is not a real religion .. it is the result of a nation wide prank during the last uk census... a prank that massive tv hosts were even talking about it ..

and it worked, now we have people trying to claim descrimination.

i also put jedi .. but its not a religion and these people know it, it is a sub plot of a movie series.. nothing more.

edit to reply to the post after this one.... in uk, when its census time, if a certain amount of people write the same thing in the section that asks their religion, that thing technicaly and officialy becoms a religion,.,

but its not ...LOL ..

this whole jedi descrimination stuff is the dumbest thing ive heard in years!! possibly ever! (on ats anyway)

[edit on 21-9-2009 by boaby_phet]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Well, one person claims it's a religion now. As far as I know there are no rules to creation of religions other than have some sort of deity (and even that is sometimes side-stepped).

Also, there are no rules dictating that there needs to be more than one person for a belief to be a religion. So guess what? it's a religion NOW!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Relax, it's kinda like the infamous "n-word". It's completely fine for nerds to call each other nerds! I mean really, didn't you see how fast she whipped out the "midichlorians in the bloodstream" bit? This gal knows her Star Wars lore.

New slogan!

"Nerd, the other n-word"!!!

(all in good fun, Pluckz
)

[edit on 9/21/09 by redmage]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Lmao plucky!!
Thats not true they even get married
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/231cb33cf412.jpg[/atsimg]

I think you're dead on that they are all nerds, I mean to say you're a jedi you'd have to be pretty obsessed with Star Wars, I mean I pretended to be a sith when I was little but... I was little.
I doubt you could find a 'Jedi' who was not a nerd...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8dc310b730bc.jpg[/atsimg]
Now There's a religion

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Wow i but you're a nice person in real life? Do you insult anyone who tries to have fun in their own way, or just people who you don't like?

Calling people nerds is childish discrimination. Making assumptions that people who are into star wars have no girlfriends is rather small minded and shallow.

I don't know what "wow i but" means...I can tell you that I am a nice person in real life, as this is real life. Is it? My cat makes me bleed daily, so this must be real life (he likes to make people bleed, it's his way).

"Calling people nerds is childish discrimination." I don't know what that means. I have tried to decipher to no avail.

"Making assumptions that people who are into star wars have no girlfriends is rather small minded and shallow." Did you watch Triumph the Insult Comic Dog at the Attack of the Clones premiere that I linked? No one there had a clue what "real life" was about, and if you think otherwise...may the midichlorians run strong through you!

Originally posted by bettermakings

If the sign in front of the store said: "No head-coverings at all." that would be a different story.

I wouldn't see a problem with this, but the double-standard is the problem. Catholic Nuns, Muslim women, etc. . . are okay; Jedis are not?

I say either make ALL head-coverings illegal, or NONE at all.

Signs! signs! everywhere there's signs! So you advocate putting signs everywhere? I mean, I think it would be nice, it would help all of us uphold, honor, and sustain the law. But next thing you'll have is people complaining about the signs everywhere...there was a song written about it for f's sake. So some nerd walks into a store with a hood over his head, freaks out the store clerks, and now there must be sensitivity to dorks in Jedi outfits? I don't want to live in a world where geeks cry and get their way, I'm sorry, I just don't. He can cry tears of midichlorians all he wants, he doesn't have the right to enter any establishment he wants and scare the staff. That's why they put signs up that say "we reserve the right to refuse service to anybody." This includes nerds in Jedi costumes. I'm sure if it was Halloween he'd have no problem, but to walk around like that daily is just silly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join