It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I feel totally ripped off by the B.B.C., and this is why

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
YEARS BACK, I was actually a contractor to the BBC. I helped program the 'embedded logic systems' including the 'audio routing matrices' for a radio station in Wales, called BBC Radio Bangor, way back in 1997. I was happy to have been a sub-contractor to the BBC, through the firm I worked for.

But my respect for the BBC has truly plummeted, and it has not been restored, ever since the year 2000.

In the year 2000, the BBC broadcast their series "Messiah". It was all about a serial killer known as 'Messiah'. How despicable - at the turn of the Millenium, when believers all around the world were looking with great confidence to the next 1,000 years, and perhaps - for some at least, the possible belief in a 'Second Coming', and the BBC did THAT.

In the year 2003, the BBC broadcast their series "The Murder Game" which they marketed as an 'interactive murder mystery'. And they further marketed by transmitting a message within 30 seconds of commencement of the BBC 10pm News, a programme which of course is about real life events. I think that the technique which the BBC may have thought was "sensational" marketing, transmitting such a message so close to the news, completely blurred the context of what this meant to the viewer and how it made the viewer feel - that this was apparently intended as a fictional matter was blurred, the line had been crossed. Seconds before the real life news started, you would hear "The Murder game - Don't Trust Anyone". Then you would see the graphics of back then dancers scaling down from a gymnasium ceiling, and "doon doon" the news started. Harrowingly, I noticed that there was a dramatic increase in reported murders on my local news programme, during the same period that the BBC was screening "The Murder Game" and, crucially - the marketing for "The Murder Game". My serious complaint, sent by Special Delivery post, was replied to with a generic message, that didn't even acknowledge that my complaint had been registered, and had been 'signed by machine'.

But I believe what happened to the BBC which was worse still, happened in 2002. That was the year when the BBC introduced their new "seeing red" graphics. In 2002, they brazenly introduced the new graphics scheme, and that consisted of an upward-vertical "flood fill" of pure red, followed by a downward-vertical fill of just the top segment of the screen. I believe that this graphic may have been inspired by the opening "gunshot" graphics sequence of the 007 movies, where the blood goes up the screen.

I did research into properties of the colour red in the manner used by the BBC, including consultations with graphic designers. It turned out that Red is a colour to be careful of, because it can be an exciting colour if correctly and not over-used, however if used in a very abundant measure, it has the properties:-

(a) it can aggress the viewer - the Red receptor cone of the primary colour receptors of the brain is overwhelmed.
(b) it can raise the blood pressure

This is where I was devastated - Look East, my local regional news progamme, then introduced what I term the 2-second "bloodbath" or "the pools of blood" graphic. To complete the "jingle" the screen would suddenly instanteously be ingulfed by the colour Red, and the screen would ripple all over for those 2 seconds - now in the context in which the graphic was being used - the television news, I was reminded of bloodshed, and that it why I termed it what I did.
... continued in post 2

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I wrote complaint after complaint, and finally, after years of complaining that this was likely to trigger violence in some due to the context in which the graphic was being used, accompanied by a foul aggressive audio sound, it was withdrawn during the BBC's last graphics rehash.

But my very worst complaint of all concerning the BBC, concerns their channel BBC News 24. I have no complaint with the presenters I have seen, I am complaining about the Corporation. The graphics, on the hour, depict beams of red firing from satellite dish to satellite dish. They make me think of the bloodshed that the BBC recounts to us on their channels. It actually looks like blood being beamed across the skys. Do others feel the same? I think this is a deplorable betrayal of our trust.

I present the case that the BBC has been a completely deplorable broadcaster, and I hope to God that at the very least, an urgent graphics re-design is conducted, and an urgent re-think that resoundingly sees less violence, on the screen - in the interests of less violence in our real lives. I am gobsmacked that either the designers did not know about the blood-pressure increasing properties of excessive colour red abundance, or they choose to ignore them. If other graphic designers are on the board, do make a comment on my piece. Now, the graphics that the BBC transmits during the night - the beams of red - I am not just "seeing red" - I am seeing blood. That is what it literally looks like, that appears to be what is being depicted - digital blood ! B.B.C., I'm truly seeing red when I switch onto your channel, which features what I think is grotesque, completely insensitive and ill-thought, violence inciting graphic design.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

So, there you have it - that's my stink with the BBC.

And do you know, when I sent them an email (to the senior designer, and senior executives at the BBC) advising about the aggression-induction risk with the colour Red, and the blood pressure increasing risk, and that graphic designers should be aware that much softer colours such as Cyan would be far less likely to lead to aggression, their reaction - in the last few months, they have rehashed some of their BBC 1 graphics which were just partially red, so that they are now COMPLETELY FLOODFILLED WITH RED, that's right - MORE RED. They've modified the graphics so that the entire screen is awash with their ghastly shade of Red. I'm Seeing Red!

[edit on 19-9-2009 by TheDailyPlanet]

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
The idea that the colour of BBC idents or the broadcast of murder mysteries is going to or has resulted in what you claim just isn’t true. While colours can have some affect on mood it would not be to the extent that you are implying, there is just no evidence for this.

Why do you think this would have the effects that you describe?

[edit on 20-9-2009 by Mike_A]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A
The idea that the colour of BBC idents or the broadcast of murder mysteries is going to or has resulted in what you claim just isn’t true. While colours can have some affect on mood it would not be to the extent that you are implying, there is just no evidence for this.

Why do you think this would have the effects that you describe?

MikeA, I disagree, I will try to answer your points in the course of my posts.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I should inform you that my piece as reproduced in my opening posts was published in the online version of the Sunday Independent, in the small hours of Sunday morning, by submission to the Comments section. Hopefully thousands have seen it.

Here is the continuation of the public comments forum:-

Re: Epilogue
oomigoolies wrote:

Sunday, 20 September 2009 at 06:49 am (UTC)
So....you don't like red, then?

Rather long-winded way to say it.
Link | Reply | Parent | Thread
peterdew wrote:

Sunday, 20 September 2009 at 01:34 pm (UTC)
My piece was not just about what I think has been gross abuse of the colour Red, it was also about issues such as when Nick Robinson said "The Knives are out" to conclude a BBC news report. Mr. Robinson, there has been a massive knife crime problem in the UK, and after you reported that, there were several knife murders in the two weeks following ! Since Peter Dew Media, my organisation, sent cease and desist formal communications to as many media organisations as we could, and followed this up by monitoring the global news network, there has been a massive reduction in knife crime during the course of more than the less 2 months, as reported in the UK media - and homicide is reported. Homicides by knife were occuring sometimes daily, after a changing point in mid-July, recently homicide by knife has been approximately once per month, fantastic improvement - although of course it needs to be absolutely no knife/violent crime whatsoever. You cannot say "The Knives are out" on TV, it is illegal to do so. You cannot claw back legality by saying all know it's metaphorical - you have youngsters watching who will not be aware at all, hence in the context uttered - a broadcast to millions and millions, they heard, what I believe it literally was - tantamount to an incitement to murder. And oomigoolies, I'm not sure whether you've tuned into the BBC in the small hours of the morning, but when I have done, on the hour, every hour, I am literally seeing rather than simply visualising what is very reminiscent to blood being beamed around the world from satellite dish to satellite dish, and I am disgusted.
oomigoolies wrote:

Sunday, 20 September 2009 at 06:34 pm (UTC)
I think you're a paranoid nutcase, me old china. Seek treatment.
Re: Epilogue - reply to OOmigoolies
peterdew wrote:

Sunday, 20 September 2009 at 08:52 pm (UTC)
I happen to object to news commentators live on air proclaiming "The Knives are out", to close their news report, and then the news organisations wonder why the hell there is a knife crime problem ? I am talking about real life homicides. Beware of being bamboozled or worse still, obfuscated, by the main stream media, oomigoolies. I happen to know when I see blatantly see hugely problematic headlines and see hugely problematic graphic design and programming. From your comment you may well be one of the people who find headlines like "Plot to knife Brown ends in failure" which I quote from the front page of the Daily Telegraph - that's the plot to commit knife crime against the Prime Minister - acceptable. The word countenancing means toleration - the newspapers have literally been tolerating the conjecture of knife crime, for those who are not aware that "knives are out" / "knives come out" is "a metaphor". The BBC allowing its' reporter live on air to say "the knives are out" does the complete opposite of preventing knife crime. I found your comment a little offensive, I appreciate my piece was long, but I wonder if you have correctly comprehended my very serious allegations.
Re: Epilogue - reply to OOmigoolies
oomigoolies wrote:

Monday, 21 September 2009 at 08:56 am (UTC)
"I wonder if you have correctly comprehended my very serious allegations."

No. They seem laughably paranoid to me. I expect you rant against the journalistic use of verbs like "blast" (Brown blasts leaks) because that's what bombs do: or "fume" (Minsters fume over delay) because that's what poison gas does: or nouns like "backlash" (Nick Clegg faces tuition fees u-turn backlash) because that's to do with torture.

No, sorry. I just think you're as barmy as a sack of ferrets.

Re:
peterdew wrote:

Monday, 21 September 2009 at 11:36 am (UTC)
There's no issue with words like fume.

The issue is with newsprinters / commentators saying the knives are out, and then wondering why knife crime is committed.

Since I sent cease and desist ("stop") letters to newspaper companies, knife crime homicide dropped dramatically.

The link to Janet Street Porter's article, and TheDailyPlanet's article - published as comments, which is only on the online version, is here:-

www.independent.co.uk...

[edit on 21-9-2009 by TheDailyPlanet]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Is this a joke post or something?

I love serial killer programs.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Sorry, had to be done

I'm in Australia, we have a gun ban here too you know, have had for many years. I hear newsreaders here say "The knives are out" and similar lines all the time but never has any correlation been made here between comments like that and knife crime. I personally have not noticed an increase or decrease related to such words being said either.

As for the red thing, I understand you are concerned about it having a sub-conscious effect on the public but seriously I do not think it would have such a negative effect as to override common sense and good judgment.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
You're right about The Murder Game. Whilst we're at it, lets ban video games and Cluedo too.

My sources show me that since Cluedo was first released, there has been a 100% increase in cases of upper-class english families being murdered by candlesticks.

Ban all representation of murder, ever. Including the bible and Agatha Christie television adaptations.

Get a grip man.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Sorry, had to be done

I'm in Australia, we have a gun ban here too you know, have had for many years. I hear newsreaders here say "The knives are out" and similar lines all the time but never has any correlation been made here between comments like that and knife crime. I personally have not noticed an increase or decrease related to such words being said either.

As for the red thing, I understand you are concerned about it having a sub-conscious effect on the public but seriously I do not think it would have such a negative effect as to override common sense and good judgment.

I have conducted hours of research in red colour abuse, and the abuse effects can be (a) blood pressure increase (b) aggression-induction.

Strangely enough I have been receiving numerous alerts about "Knives out" "Knives are out" sourced from Australian media company. And the other day an Australian newspaper company published their article "Knives are out" in respect of a knife crime problem in a part of Australia. In the UK, there has been a vast reduction in knife crime, there is no knife homicide being committed, hopefully it will remain that way.

TheDailyPlanet also notes that the Telegraph has in the last 24 hours published article body text as follows,

I quote verbatim:-

"Well its started already, Boris mentions what has to be done and the knives come out."

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I will only ask one question, as I know from your other thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

you don't/wont engage in questions that are contrary to your opinion.

First The Daily Mail, now the BBC, any others?

I advise you to go and play Doom3, or any of the GTA games.

edit to add: Play Doom3 in the dark!!

[edit on 21-9-2009 by slinkey10]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDailyPlanet

Strangely enough I have been receiving numerous alerts about "Knives out" "Knives are out" sourced from Australian media company. And the other day an Australian newspaper company published their article "Knives are out" in respect of a knife crime problem in a part of Australia.

Considering that I live here, I think I have a slightly better perspective on whether knife crime is becoming a problem in my own country or not - which, by the way, it is not. At least not in terms of it increasing in any dramatic fashion relative to the words "Knives are out" being used by the media - of which I watch and read daily so I should know.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Daily, what is your basis for these claims? What studies do you cite that suggest such a problematic influence of the colour red? What sources are you using for your statistical analysis of increased/decreased violence? What statute or precedent do you cite when you say that it’s illegal to say “the knives are out” on TV? If you really have done independent research then can you present it in full?

I know of no basis for the claims you make.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Now it's the BBC doing things deliberately to spite you after sending them correspondence? So the Daily Mail and the BBC now have nothing better to do than drive you insane?

I'm no fan of the BBC, and I utterly deplore being forced to pay a tv license to fund them, but to resort to making baseless claims borne out of some sort of paranoid obsession, well, seek help.

You remind me of a scene in in The Simpsons where Ned Flanders is sitting there with a pen and notepad noting down everything he finds morally offensive on the tv. Diddly.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Notes about the Colour Red.

"Red is the color that provokes the most physiological responses. It has been shown that red causes the human heart beat and blood pressure to rise and to aid the interconnection of brain neurons."

"Red is regarded as a hot, warm color and it symbolizes aggression and high energy. It is also a sign of warning, danger and error. In the Western World it is also a symbol of love and passion."

Source:- www.colorsontheweb.com...

"Seeing Red" - note how the bull is aggravated in the vile sport that is bull fighting - the red sheet.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDailyPlanet

Bulls are not aggravated by the colour red. Bulls are colour blind.

Next.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDailyPlanet

Is that your evidence for this entire claim?

I meant genuine studies, statistics, statutes etc, not one random website that concerns itself with what colours to use on a website.

But even that site doesn’t really support you view, why aren’t you saying that the BBC is guilty of incitement to love instead? You given just as much evidence for this being the case.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDailyPlanet
"Red is the color that provokes the most physiological responses. It has been shown that red causes the human heart beat and blood pressure to rise and to aid the interconnection of brain neurons."

I certainly don't see people losing the plot and going on a murderous rampage when they cut their finger and see RED BLOOD. Maybe the odd mentally unstable character, but he was that unstable in the first place then one can hardly blame seeing the colour red as the reason for a murderous rampage.

Does that mean anyone who pricks their own finger to give themselves a diabetes test goes into a murderous rampage when they see the blood?

Honestly, this is ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Red is a powerful colour- is why it's used so much in advertising- it sells.

But I seriously don't get your gripes- tv's bad for you anyway- most of what's on it is crap.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Well it certainly seems like it has raised your blood pressure and has you on the boil. I really dont see your argument, you might be prejudiced in your way of thinking and just a tad paranoid, it does seem that way. You talk about a advertised program from 2000 labelled the messiah the serial killer. You would have to be slow on the uptake if you after seeing the show and advertisements to be expecting the second coming. Did it offend you as a christian? Im sure it wont be the only time that happens.
As to your blood beam sattelite theory, well i just dont see it and im watching those idents now, i think you are a tad paranoid and should lay off the net for a bit and go watch some good wholesome ITV programming.
Red does seem to get to you though, but obviously not everybody.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join