It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Union says it warned about mental patient outings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

news.yahoo.com

Two days after an insane killer escaped from a field trip organized by his mental hospital, the union that represents mental hospital workers said it had become concerned about the type of patients allowed to participate in such outings.

Police continued to search Saturday for 47-year-old Phillip Arnold Paul, who walked away from the Spokane County Fair during an outing Thursday with 30 other Eastern State Hospital patients.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
i can't believe this. they are taking these people to field trips in street clothes. this guy killed an alderly woman, doused her in gasoline and then buried her in the flower garden.

from the article

Patients must be cleared by a treatment team before they can go on trips to stores, parks, and other sites, said Dr. Rob Henry, director of forensic services at Eastern State. They wear street clothing and staff members are required to keep each patient within eyesight at all times.

The sheriff's office said Friday that his medication should keep him stable for 14 days.

^^^^^so he 'should' be stable for 14 days but them what?
this dude is out and about.
unreal that they take them on field trips.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
What! They need to put them in special outfits or have them wear bracelets of some sort. That just crazy. And to be honest if they are that unstable, they shouldnt be going on field trips where they can easily get away. Buried her in her flower garden....thats just something else.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Wow, this is beyond stupid. What kind of effing idiot would even think about taking a mentally unstable lunatic on a field trip ... especially when you consider that it's the SECOND time that he has escaped while on a field trip.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Sad to say, im not entirely shocked at this..where i live, a friend of mine, a good 10 maybe 12 years ago, was telling me one day, he was near downtownhere, and saw a guy acting kinda like a chicken, infront and to the people. People staired at him i awe and confusion. It turns out, he did some looking into it, and a local mental hospitol, once a year or so, tkaes the patinece on small trips, to get out n get air. These are mental patients, who have more or less, lost touch with reality. I always had a thought, wow, i guess thier gunna let complete psychos and srial killer out , unchained as well. Then when someone gets killed 'acidentally' it will make news headlines, and it all could have entirely been prevented.
Since that, i had always wondered who was more insane...the ones diagnosed or the educated sane ones making descisions to let whackaloos out free for an hour, that are suposed to be under lockup? makes ya wonder, dosnt it.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by thing fish

Now that is interesting.

They were pretty quick to jump up and effectively state that it's "not our fault" and that "we warned em!"

Sort of makes me wonder what sort of communications really happened between the union and the hospital.

[edit on 20-9-2009 by RoofMonkey]

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
thiers nothing wrong with diagnosed crazys getting some fresh air and all, providing thie under 100% eye supervision and limited....i see nothing wrong with it at all. Some though, are too risky, as like the guy in this thread. he is known to kill at his own will, wether he mens it or not, he is msot liekly going to do it. The superiors at the hospitol didnt catch this???? this is exactly like, letting hanibal lecture out for an hour, semi supervised...he'd be gone within 30 minutes!

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
i can see them getting fresh air but you can get fresh air at places other than parks and such. does the hospital not have grounds?

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I worked in a state hospital in the late seventies and at a V.A.Psych ward in the 90s as a volunteer...... I have been on many outings with patients with all kinds of disorders and some had histories that included violent behavior and never had any problems even though we didn't have even half the staff to patient ratio that was present on the outing this guy wandered from.... Write it off as a fluke thing because people with no criminal or psychiatric history at all are likely to commit similar crimes and it does happen..... Be wary of budget cuts that start forcing people out of these facilities though, that was one of the reason for the crime increase in the eighties and also responsible for term homeless people that wasn't something that existed prior to the popular conservative measures taken that was the cause.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
at least they got him before his meds started to wear off.
i wonder what he is on

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
Wow, this is beyond stupid. What kind of effing idiot would even think about taking a mentally unstable lunatic on a field trip ... especially when you consider that it's the SECOND time that he has escaped while on a field trip.

I dunno, maybe they saw the movie Dream Team one too many times.

I also read that they gave him $50 spending money.

top topics

join